Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nuos heat pump tank

Options
  • 05-07-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi looking to see if any one has fitted one of these tanks and thoughts on them ?
    I only have a oil and immersion heating for water at moment, was thinking of upgrading boiler to condenser and zoning heating to upstairs, downstairs and hot water, but it looks like it may mean taking up tile floors which not prepared to do. So was thinking of heat pump for summer and winter it be oil heated as well. Going to put in pumped showers for hot water use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

raytaxi wrote: »
    Hi looking to see if any one has fitted one of these tanks and thoughts on them ?
    I only have a oil and immersion heating for water at moment, was thinking of upgrading boiler to condenser and zoning heating to upstairs, downstairs and hot water, but it looks like it may mean taking up tile floors which not prepared to do. So was thinking of heat pump for summer and winter it be oil heated as well. Going to put in pumped showers for hot water use
    Hi,
    As long as your pipes are visible somewhere in the house there will be no need to rip up any floors to zone heating.
    If you're thinking of replacing your oil boiler with something more efficient a high temperature heat pump is the way to go. Still offers all the advantages of heat pumps and directly fits into all components you alrsady have installed

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Sorry never heard of high temperature heat pump, is it one that works on older radiators ? Thought heat pumps were more for underfloor heating.
    Have you any recommendations or places for information ?

Hi There,
    Yes, most heat pumps are for underfloor heating but there are models which feature two refrigeration circuits therefore yielding a higher flow temperature and offering direc compatibility with older radiators (From experience i would still recommend replacing your radiators with aluminum radiators as they offer better heat transfer properties)

Im a heating systems design engineer for a well known company in the business. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Eminence wrote: »
    Hi There,
    Yes, most heat pumps are for underfloor heating but there are models which feature two refrigeration circuits therefore yielding a higher flow temperature and offering direc compatibility with older radiators (From experience i would still recommend replacing your radiators with aluminum radiators as they offer better heat transfer properties)

Im a heating systems design engineer for a well known company in the business. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask:)

how do the costs compare vs traditional A2W heat pump, what is the efficiency also (COP / SPF), expected lifetime etc... just curious, not looking to buy

What type of cost would this entail 11 radiators, new cylinder and heat pump. Would also be installing new showers to use up the hot water rather than electric showers.
    Eminence wrote: »
    Hi There,

• Advertisement

Shaunoc wrote: »
    how do the costs compare vs traditional A2W heat pump, what is the efficiency also (COP / SPF), expected lifetime etc... just curious, not looking to buy

The costs of the actual unit (im thinking an integrated split (outdoor fan unit and indoor cylinder unit with controls)) are similar if not the same of a low temperature unit.

COP is comparable than to a low temperature splits and is most likely not enough to pass any building regulations but is the best option for any houses which have too high heat loss for a low temp unit or unwilling to put in underfloor / aluminum radiators or simply do not need to pass regulations

raytaxi wrote: »
    What type of cost would this entail 11 radiators, new cylinder and heat pump. Would also be installing new showers to use up the hot water rather than electric showers.

Hi there.
    This entirely depends on your house parameters Hade you had a BER assessment completed on your house yet? I would be able to advise better if you have. If not, what is the size of the house, when was it built and have you carried out any energy upgrades already?

Haven't done a ber yet, thought it was needed after works done to get the grants.
    List of things to be done :- increase attic insulation, cavity wall's to pumped insulation, upgrade heating to 3 zone, remove electric showers to pumped ones.
    Seems best idea may be to get ber first and see what is recommended ? Going by 2 similar house in same estate ber is d1 size wise 1300 sq ft approx.

As far as I know, there is a pre works and post works BER requirement for grants. It needs to show the improvement made for it to qualify.

With regards to pumped showers, this can be done a multitude of ways
    1-Pressurized cold water storage tank (preferred) - Gives high pressure in all outlets in house
    2-Booster set after the tank (still a good method) - Gives high pressure in all outlets connected to booster set
    3-Individually pumped showers (wouldn't go this way) - Gives high pressure where pump is located.

Ber D1 isn't great but allows for large improvements in grading therefore availing of grants.

I was talking to plumbers about pressurised system but both seem set against it for some reason. Where are you based Eminence ? Could you maybe contact me on pm about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement