Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glengarriff or Kenmare

Options
  • 22-06-2018 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

If you were relocating which of these towns would you choose. For scenery, friendliness, social, property price, and things to do ? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Jack53 wrote: »
    If you were relocating which of these towns would you choose. For scenery, friendliness, social, property price, and things to do ? Thanks

Kenmare is bigger, would have more.
    But its in Kerry.

Glengarrif is very quiet off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

Kenmare is bigger, would have more.
    But its in Kerry.

Glengarrif is very quiet off season.

What u mean ‘but it’s Kerry’. Scrolling through daft trying to set up appointment for viewing but no idea of locations. I found lovely houses in Beara but they about 50 less. I know buying a house is all about location. Are theses areas rough ?

What u mean ‘but it’s Kerry’. Scrolling through daft trying to set up appointment for viewing but no idea of locations. I found lovely houses in Beara but they about 50 less. I know buying a house is all about location. Are theses areas rough ?

(You're in the County Cork forum, that was just a dig at Kerry. Think nothing of it! Kerrymen would say the same about Cork)

Why are you buying the house? what do you want from it?
    Do you intent to work?
    Have you kids? Is school a consideration.

Beara (in my opinion) is the most beautiful part of Ireland.

if its a retirement home/get away from Dublin, I'd go Beara.
    If its a holiday home, Kenmare might offer greater commercial options than Glengarrif, which might not be as busy or touristy, and would have a longer season. You're on the Ring of Kerry which always has a draw for tourists.
    Glengarrif is very small.

Beara is a bit wilder and much less developed than Iveragh. It has arguably one of the cutest villages in Cork with Eyeries. But there isnt a whole lot on it. Castletownbere is a fishing port towards the end of the peninsula, and busy a lot of the year. Outside of CTB, there's feck all off season as far as Bantry. CTB has a supermarket (1 anyway!) Its also about to get a sewage treatment plant which should see more development over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

(You're in the County Cork forum, that was just a dig at Kerry. Think nothing of it! Kerrymen would say the same about Cork)

Why are you buying the house? what do you want from it?
    Do you intent to work?
    Have you kids? Is school a consideration.

Beara (in my opinion) is the most beautiful part of Ireland.

if its a retirement home/get away from Dublin, I'd go Beara.
    If its a holiday home, Kenmare might offer greater commercial options than Glengarrif, which might not be as busy or touristy, and would have a longer season. You're on the Ring of Kerry which always has a draw for tourists.
    Glengarrif is very small.

Beara is a bit wilder and much less developed than Iveragh. It has arguably one of the cutest villages in Cork with Eyeries. But there isnt a whole lot on it. Castletownbere is a fishing port towards the end of the peninsula, and busy a lot of the year. Outside of CTB, there's feck all off season as far as Bantry. CTB has a supermarket (1 anyway!) Its also about to get a sewage treatment plant which should see more development over the coming years.

Thanks so much Roger for all the info. Situation is we less then ten years off retirement age and it has always been my dreams to live in the country. I’ve no relations any more in country so miss the reason to travel out of Dublin.
    I’ve no pension so was thinking of a getting a small mortgage and paying it off quickly over my remaining years working. We have a house in Dublin but I can’t see downsizing for ten years at least as I have a family of late teens and early 20’s. They going nowhere with Dublin prices. Now I was thinking of buying in sk or wc as love both the areas. In an ideal world I’d love to rent the house for the 8 months initially. That would help with the mortgage. Then in a couple of years then hopefully we won’t need to. ( wishfully thinking)
    My husband spent his summers in eyeries and is put off the idea
    of there. Think he was sent down to help the granny for 2-3 months therefore bad memories.

I want this house as a bolt hole and to make friends. Go for a coffee etc. Maybe in time I could downsize in Dublin. We’ll see.
    I’ve the added hassle of an aunt who’s moving back to Ireland . She’s looking for somewhere close to us too. I want somewhere that we could go for a pint in evenings and wander home for dinner. Nice view and a place that will hold its value if the dreams don’t become a reality!!!

Thanks so much Roger for all the info. Situation is we less then ten years off retirement age and it has always been my dreams to live in the country. I’ve no relations any more in country so miss the reason to travel out of Dublin.
    I’ve no pension so was thinking of a getting a small mortgage and paying it off quickly over my remaining years working. We have a house in Dublin but I can’t see downsizing for ten years at least as I have a family of late teens and early 20’s. They going nowhere with Dublin prices. Now I was thinking of buying in sk or wc as love both the areas. In an ideal world I’d love to rent the house for the 8 months initially. That would help with the mortgage. Then in a couple of years then hopefully we won’t need to. ( wishfully thinking)
    My husband spent his summers in eyeries and is put off the idea
    of there. Think he was sent down to help the granny for 2-3 months therefore bad memories.

I want this house as a bolt hole and to make friends. Go for a coffee etc. Maybe in time I could downsize in Dublin. We’ll see.
    I’ve the added hassle of an aunt who’s moving back to Ireland . She’s looking for somewhere close to us too. I want somewhere that we could go for a pint in evenings and wander home for dinner. Nice view and a place that will hold its value if the dreams don’t become a reality!!!

not sure of the rental options, but looking at the above, I'd look towards CTB rather than Glengarrif. Its a bit more happening (by West Cork standards!) Glengarrif is lovely, but its small.
    CTB some nice pubs, one great (McCarthys - 2016 pub of the year)
    you might rent it out easier in Kenmare, but you'll pay more. And it can be very touristy.

Good luck with the plans!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Eh, no. Have you ever actually been to either of these places that you're thinking of moving to?

Advertisement