Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Range Rover - what to check

Options
  • 14-06-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at a few 2006 Range rovers at the weekend.

Apart from a good service history, what specifically should I look out for?

Any major weak points?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Any major weak points?

Suspension and electrics. The 3.6 litre V8 model introduced in 2007 has a much better reliability record.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Your sanity :P

As chicorytip mentioned, suspension - this is one of the most common problem areas with Rangies and on one that age would be uneconomical in most cases to fix. They can be hard on head gaskets too (though not as bad as the earlier model) and the electrics can be troublesome - check that everything works, and that the windows go up and down smoothly. Check the transmission doesn't whine at speed, doesn't jolt when taking off, and that when you turn in a tight circle at low speed (both directions) that you don't feel juddering.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I would not buy a 12 year old Rangy unless I had known the car and owner previously. They are less reliable then most other 12 y/o off roaders out there. As previously said, landcruser would be the default. I'd consider a Nissan Patrol if I could find one, unless of course you have plenty of money to keep her right and dont have to actually rely on it for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How deep are your pockets OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

I can tell you as I work on these day in day out just what and how much it will cost u to fix.
    Front wishbones
    Suspension compressor
    Suspension struts
    Rear wish bones
    Drive shaft carrier bearings
    Egr valves x2
    Timing belt
    Transmission sump
    Fuel injectors
    Boost pipes
    Metal brake pipes
    The list goes on. Great jeep with all this work done. So if u buy one that it’s all done on u will be flying. If not expect ££££

Advertisement