Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Value up north?

Options
  • 14-06-2018 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭

I’m struggling to see much value up north.
    I was comparing a few CRV’s and with exchange and vrt it’s hard to see much more than a few hundered in it and that wouldn’t make it worth while for me.

People talk about saving thousands on ordinary motors but I can’t see it.

What sites are people using to find cars in NI ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The best value tends to be in England/Scotland.

Prices in NI have always been higher than mainland UK, as its a smaller market.
    If you are prepared to bring a car back from the UK, you'll definitely save more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

NIMAN wrote: »
    The best value tends to be in England/Scotland.

Prices in NI have always been higher than mainland UK, as its a smaller market.
    If you are prepared to bring a car back from the UK, you'll definitely save more.
    true, but you will also have a ferry and flight to pay for... I would need be going through that trouble for a few hundred!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

In my experience, i got a car with better spec than i was getting for the same money down here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I bought up in NI recently, a very modest car, spent approx. €13k total and got a 161 reg for the same price that similar model 141 cars were going down here. I believe I saved just over €2k on a similar 161 model. Just an anecdote but the savings are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Idbatterim wrote: »
    true, but you will also have a ferry and flight to pay for... I would need be going through that trouble for a few hundred!

There is usually a bit more than a few hundred quid to be saved by going to the UK over the North. You also have a better choice in models and spec. You will pay a premium for the convenience of being able to easily travel across the border and Northern car dealers know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

ionapaul wrote: »
    I bought up in NI recently, a very modest car, spent approx. €13k total and got a 161 reg for the same price that similar model 141 cars were going down here. I believe I saved just over €2k on a similar 161 model. Just an anecdote but the savings are there.

Ditto. Modest car total €13450 in total (VRT 2628). I have 171 for the price of a 161. No massive saving but still ok. 12000 miles on the clock.

Advertisement