Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus boot always opening

Options
  • 12-06-2018 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Have a 1.8TD Focus 07 or 08. Boot is forever opening itself either through the key or the car. Driving me insane and nice and dangerous. Anyone had this issue before and any ideas how to sort it or a quick fix? Will even do it without the car locked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

Hi there, I also had a 06 Focus and had the same problem as well as windows opening and closing. After bringing it to two different mechanics (Ford didn't want to know) they both told me it was a major motherboard issue and to get rid of it as it would cost a fortune. Maybe someone here has an alternative solution, but I had lost all faith in it especially with kids in the car so I did get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Common enough issue
    Sometimes the boot release switch in front of the gear stick is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Such a bollox of a day, new tyres on and had car scanned today clearing an Egr fault which may come back to haunt her. Any workarounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is it possiable to disconnect the central locking to the boot to remove any electrical signal opening it.
    Im not a mechanic so just a guess.

Its not a saloon?

biko wrote: »
    Common enough issue
    Sometimes the boot release switch in front of the gear stick is faulty

Have no boot release switch in front of the gear stick unless it's still there under the blanking plate.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Is it possiable to disconnect the central locking to the boot to remove any electrical signal opening it.
    Im not a mechanic so just a guess.

Its not a saloon?

This is the type of solution I'm after, just how to go about doing it. Never have any need to use the boot at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

Had a Volvo S40, which shared many parts with the Focus as it was built off the same platform.

Had some strange electrical issues, including lights flickering and the boot not opening. Had to replace the boot lid wiring harness (approx.€40) due to an extremely common fault. Wouldn't surprise me if the Focus had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Such a bollox of a day, new tyres on and had car scanned today clearing an Egr fault which may come back to haunt her. Any workarounds?

Point less clearling the fault of u didn’t do any work to rectify the problem. What was the fault could specifically. Could be anything from a dirty egr to the egr being fecked all together.
    Give us more info year engine etc and what the fault actually is. But just so ur aware clearing the code alone will never fix ur problem.
    Is it a diesel, do u do short or long journeys

Had a Volvo S40, which shared many parts with the Focus as it was built off the same platform.

Had some strange electrical issues, including lights flickering and the boot not opening. Had to replace the boot lid wiring harness (approx.€40) due to an extremely common fault. Wouldn't surprise me if the Focus had the same issue.

Could be something to look into, thanks. Cigarette lighter also stopped working too around the same time.

Bmw123d wrote: »
    Mehaffey1 wrote: »

Point less clearling the fault of u didn’t do any work to rectify the problem. What was the fault could specifically. Could be anything from a dirty egr to the egr being fecked all together.
    Give us more info year engine etc and what the fault actually is. But just so ur aware clearing the code alone will never fix ur problem.
    Is it a diesel, do u do short or long journeys

08 Focus 1.8TDI edging up on 175,000miles

Never got a look at the code, stupid move thinking about it now. Was just told it was egr code and that itd be best to replace it, fella agreed with me that if it doesn't come back then horse her on.

Engine Malfunction Warning came on last week as I was exiting a roundabout in 2nd gear low revs. Car was chugging and not getting on top of the revs so pulled in car, turned off and back on again, drove fine again. My first suspect was dodgy diesel so drove the hammer out of her in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to get shot of the last of the quarter tank I had then filled at my usual spot. No symptoms since although the Malfunction light flashed briefly the other day. Always ran on Topaz or Shell fuel too.

• Advertisement

Most days is a 20 minute country drive into work and back. Always have her ticking over for 5 mins for a smoke outside before taking off. Wouldn't be one for avoiding the loud pedal too so not tiddling about.

'Duratec' / Zetec model in case there's any other weird variants. Don't want to get shot of her since putting on the new tyres and aside from these two issues is driving like a fresh car. Full service carried out in last 3 months too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Check the boot release switch under the ford sign on the boot, if it looks tatty it could be letting water in which shorts the switch and the boot will pop randomly. I had it on a 05 focus years ago. Eventually it screwed up the motor in the lock so had to get a new switch and lock. Was about 80 quid for the parts I think.

guil wrote: »
    Check the boot release switch under the ford sign on the boot, if it looks tatty it could be letting water in which shorts the switch and the boot will pop randomly. I had it on a 05 focus years ago. Eventually it screwed up the motor in the lock so had to get a new switch and lock. Was about 80 quid for the parts I think.

It's ratty as sin and can't open the boot with it when on the rare occasion it isn't already open so could be a suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

guil wrote: »
    Check the boot release switch under the ford sign on the boot, if it looks tatty it could be letting water in which shorts the switch and the boot will pop randomly.
    Common fault on those, water gets in and corrodes the switch contacts. Just replace the switch, an easy DIY fix.

Advertisement