Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV vs convertible

Options
  • 12-06-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am in the market for a car and am stuck between a BMW 440i or a Range Rover Evoque. As an ardent petrolhead who loves the 6 cylinder engine My heart says 440i, but having not driven the roads in Ireland as extensively my gut says a 4x4 might be the better option of the two.

Any recommendations and thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buy an early Land Rover with a V8 and you can have a big engine and convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Buy an Evoque Convertible and get both in the one vehicle!

Not the best looking motor available though...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ardent petrolhead -> range rover evoque, this doesnt compute haha.

The 440i is going to be the better drive for sure , some roads are pretty bad but id say if you got the rough road package you'd be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Linomanytsar

Like I said my heart is saying 440i, but common sense needs to prevail, where I come from speeding wasn't punished as severely as it is here LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Like I said my heart is saying 440i, but common sense needs to prevail, where I come from speeding wasn't punished as severely as it is here LOL!

If a 440i tax and insurance cost is within your remit , would you consider a range rover sport supercharged ? An actual 4x4 but the performance you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pfx1942

When you drive Evoque, everybody will hate you.
    When you drive 440i convertible, everybody will still hate you, but at least you drive 440i convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

R.O.R wrote: »
    Buy an Evoque Convertible and get both in the one vehicle!

Not the best looking motor available though...

Passed one on the M6 yesterday, who the hell thought that was a good idea?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You need a good long test drive in both I think. You're comparing apples and oranges and if both are somehow still on your list, you need more time in the driver seat to decide what you want.

The Evoque is a weird one... on one hand I actually think it looks pretty nice. But it's just such a weird car, trying to do a bit of everything at once. And the coupe/convertible options are pure mental! There's a coupe in work, and I can't help but wonder what it's reason to exist is. 440i all day long for me, but I'm a BMW fanboi so there's that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Insurance now dictates what you can buy in ireland, not your heart. try getting an insurance quote first, then buy a 1L yaris. :(

Skatedude wrote: »
    Insurance now dictates what you can buy in ireland, not your heart. try getting an insurance quote first, then buy a 1L yaris. :(

You would be surprised at how insurance works here. It may well be as cheap to insure the high end cars as normal run of the mill cars all depends on the cars risk profile and the person themselves. Powerful and expensive to buy does not automatically = expensive to insure.

• Advertisement

You would be surprised at how insurance works here. It may well be as cheap to insure the high end cards as normal run of the mill cars all depends on the cars risk profile and the person themselves. Powerful and expensive to buy does not automatically = expensive to insure.

Insurance was not bad at all on the 440i.

You need a good long test drive in both I think. You're comparing apples and oranges and if both are somehow still on your list, you need more time in the driver seat to decide what you want.

The Evoque is a weird one... on one hand I actually think it looks pretty nice. But it's just such a weird car, trying to do a bit of everything at once. And the coupe/convertible options are pure mental! There's a coupe in work, and I can't help but wonder what it's reason to exist is. 440i all day long for me, but I'm a BMW fanboi so there's that!

I owned the 330CI, 335i Steptronic and 335i DCT all consecutively of course. However both 335's spent a lot of time at BMW with multiple issues. Still don;t think anything BMW has produced since the first 335i has matched its sheer power and bruteness. If you live inland where the atmospheric pressure was different it out ran the M3 of that generation. I always regret selling the 330CI. Reliability bar none.

Advertisement