Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use of a car after a car accident

Options
  • 11-06-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi am i entitled to the use of a replacement car after a car accident, the other person has admitted liability and i will be using his insurance to repair/replace my car, if i'm not entitled to a car can i claim for all costs incurred by me taxis ect.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

cbr9911 wrote: »
    Hi am i entitled to the use of a replacement car after a car accident, the other person has admitted liability and i will be using his insurance to repair/replace my car, if i'm not entitled to a car can i claim for all costs incurred by me taxis ect.
    Thanks in advance.

Any "entitlement" there may be is an insurance issue depending on the terms of such, not a legal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It is a legal issue as the OP is holding someone liable for their loss and not claiming under their own contract of insurance.

To answer your question, if the 3rd party is liable, you are entitled to reasonable car hire as part of your claim for compensation. You must mitigate your loss as if there was no place to seek recovery of your outlay. This can be in the form of taxies etc., providing that is the more economical solution. In other words, you can claim a reasonable amount for a reasonable amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In theory.

Basically you're "entitled" to not be in a worse position due to the accident. So if you would normally use your car on a day-to-day basis and you cannot do that while it's being repaired, then you would be entitled to claim for the reasonable cost of conducting that same activity. Sometimes that's taxis, sometimes it's a rental car.

If you are claiming directly from his insurance company, then you will need to speak to them. They usually use a trusted repair centre, who will provide you with a vehicle to use.

If your insurance company are claiming by proxy, then speak to them.

But don't just go renting a car and then sending in receipts unless you want a headache.

Advertisement