Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 VW Polo passenger side front suspension rattle

Options
  • 11-06-2018 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Should be easy to work out what needs replacing but it isn't :o

I've jacked the car up and pulled pushed levered and generally tried to find something thats a bit loose and looked for any bushings that have some obvious wear and can't find a problem. Also levered shoved pushed and twisted with weight on the wheel and again can't see, hear or feel a problem.

Is there anything well known that needs replacing on old Polo's

Strange thing was it was fine before the NCT and I first noticed the rattle as I drove it away from the NCT, not suggesting they damaged anything but they didn't fail it so didn't notice any suspension issues.

Comments

Did you check the spring was 100%?
    once a half turn of the coil broke off on my golf was sitting on the flange of the shock rattling like mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Did you check the spring was 100%?
    once a half turn of the coil broke off on my golf was sitting on the flange of the shock rattling like mad.

Spring is 100% as I said it had just passed the NCT, but I checked it anyway and I can see both ends with no obvious damage and they both seat in the correct position.

The only thing I haven't done yet is double check if the shock absorber covers are seated correctly as they might be rattling against the side of the shocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Has the nut in the centre holding the shock to the top mount loosened? Try lifting the car instead of pressing down, it could be the top mount itself. A lot of those rattles are from the anti roll bar links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is it a continuous rattle or more over bumps and hollows in the road? How long since the shocks were replaced?
    Remember the nct only checks the balance between both sides, so even if both are wearing out as long as they're not leaking it will still pass. The passenger one could just be the first to become noisy. Any worn bushings should have been picked up by the test.

Advertisement