Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying Light 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I did finish this but took me a few go's at going back to it, didn't grab me like i'd hoped either. I think the biggest thing it's missing compared to the first is the fear factor, going out at night is just just too easy, which wipes out a lot of the tension from the gameplay that made the first one great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They started to concentrate too much on the humans, and the overall story was garbage tbh. I think the first felt more "grounded", if that makes sense. This seems to slightly go towards the wacky/goofy side but doesn't quite get there and feels like it's stuck somewhere in the middle. As Jim says, the zombies in the first one felt like a threat, especially at night. In this, they quickly become an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Yeah , I am glad you all feel the same about it. I might try finish it at some stage but it's gonna be low down on the backlog now. I spun up persona 5 royal and despite having finished persona 5 before I am enjoying it way more.

How is P5Royal? I was enjoying P5 but I just can't with turn based/FF style combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

It's amazing ! Lot of QOL improvements in it was initially a bit of a slog going through the first castle. But all palaces have new areas in them , your ammo replenishes after each battle so the guns are super useful. Whole new semester aswell to play through but is missable.

I am not the right person to ask though as I loved p5 back when I finished it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New big update for 1 year anniversary with more updates planned throughout 2023. I was looking to pick this up again recently but definitely more interested in revisiting the game now.

Combat improvement coming in April and parkour improvement in June. Combat was a big disappointment for me so hopefully the April update is significant.

Just saw this, man the day/night cycle difference between the 2 games is staggering. How did the 2nd get it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭brady12

First one was one my fav ever . 2nd was a massive let down for me .

Gut Feeling update out tomorrow (same date as Dead Island 2 release, tha shade!) Combat looks greatly improved! I really want to try out but gonna hold out for the parkour update in the summer. I'm playing the original last couple of days and the parkour feels much more satisfying in it, 2nd feels way too floaty.

Interesting tweet from DL director asking the community what they'd like to play as IF they made Dying Light 3. I think 2 fell flat because both factions were really unlikeable and I get they were going for 'rebuilding the world, no one is good, shades of grey, etc. but I didn't want to help anyone in the game. I'd have much preferred joining the raiders and attacking both factions.

Playing the first, even the little requests you get from people, truly feel like you're making a difference whether that's restoring power or getting crayons for kids, the requests felt personal and you wanted to help. Did not get that from the 2nd game at all.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming from that poll that the fans just want guns back...

Guns are coming in June update but i just want a better story. Instead of working for factions who are morally grey but just written really badly so where they wanted you feeling like you want to work with one side but realise they're not all good, you just hate both sides.

Fair. I wanted everyone to die by the time I finished my playthrough, none of them stood out or were memorable, aside from yer wan that's famous, but that's just cuz I know (of) the actress. Shame, but I'll wait for the Enhanced edition or whatever they'll call the complete collecting for DL2 when it comes out. Can't see the story being fixed, but they did wonders with the first one, so i'll patiently wait.

I'm looking forward to Dead Island 2, I may pull the trigger on Monday. At the very least, the reviews make it sound like it's not trying to be more than zombie slaying fun, and the world/characters play to that.

I got this again, 25 in CEX. The new parkour and night systems are releasing the of June devs announced today that planned dlc is now pushed back to 2024 as they look to improve the main game first and make sure the dlc is the best it can be with new maps and game systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeesh, they really should have delayed the game if they have spent most of the last year just improving the game instead of on the DLC.

I know Dead Island 2 was in development hell for years but it's actually good game for what it is. It's not perfect but still enjoyable

Big Q and A with devs on discord yesterday, some highlights in the link below. They are bringing back original E3 trailer animations and say the game will feel totally different. I'm actually getting hyped for the parkour/night update in a few weeks.

The night/parkour update is out tomorrow. Volatiles now roam the streets at night. There's a color grade option for night (makes nighttime darker) and Harran sunset (orange glow). Parkour has better momentum and for with new moves.

Update is live, sounds excellent. Patch notes show that you can now choose Parkour mode with Physical mode being added which removes the floatiness and makes everything more grounded and harder to pull off. Exactly what I was looking for as the floaty parkour really put me off playing.

Good Night – Night changes

The day and night cycle has always been a fundamental element in the Dying Light series, introducing both visual and, more importantly, gameplay changes to our zombie-infested world. In this update, we aimed to enhance the nighttime aspect of this unique feature by introducing heightened tension, horror, and the presence of roaming Volatiles. To achieve this, we are implementing a series of modifications,

• Ensuring that the night has a heavy, almost horror-like feel.
    • A new color grading called “Darker Nights” reduces player visibility exponentially, making your experience more terrifying.
    • Updated flashlight rendering that creates more dynamic shadows and better corresponds to the darker environment.
    • Improved audio gameplay solidifies the nocturnal atmosphere. Music takes a backseat to sound effects.
    • HUD improvements support an immersive nighttime experience.
    • Volatiles roam across the rooftops, ensuring you will never feel safe at night.
    • The night population of zombies have been reworked to create more unexpected moments while exploring both streets and building interiors
    • Chase sequences are less arcade-like and more unpredictable.

Good Luck – Parkour changes

With the initial release of Dying Light 2, we managed to make the complex mechanics of parkour accessible to all players. However, we cannot ignore the voices of real traceurs like you, who desire fewer assists, more physicality, better control, and less hand-holding. In response, we have introduced a new set of parkour settings called 'Physical' specifically designed to cater to seasoned veterans of Dying Light 1 and new Pilgrims who want to experience the real deal when traversing The City.

• Several animations have been improved to reduce floatiness.
    • Personalize your sprinting experience with the option to switch between auto and manual mode, giving you complete control over how you sprint in the game.
    • Keep your momentum while performing a series of parkour moves.
    • Regain air control in mid-flight, allowing for reactive maneuvers.
    • Added variety of vault animations.
    • Tweaked afterboost mechanics now allow for its use after a number of parkour moves, with improved responsiveness and a balanced duration and cooldown.
    • Accelerate down ziplines and during pipe slides for a thrilling descent.
    • Bid farewell to ghost walking; wall run and roll animations halt when reaching the end of a surface.
    • Enjoy smoother wall running with improved starting animations.
    • Improved jumping, active landing, and balancing animations.
    • Elevator and landing bags animations are sped-up.
    • The active landing skill can be performed while paragliding – safety landings!
    • Head-bob animation is adjustable in the settings, allowing players to increase camera movement while running. A new default value is set to 50.
    • Car safety landing animation duration shortened, and VFX feedback improved.
    • We’ve refined gameplay mechanics for the following skills, enhancing their overall feeling: Slide Jump, Bash, Crown Runner, Sleek Runner.

On top of those changes, we are introducing improved parkour actions and animations, and two main options that you can pick. To change between those, head to the Game sub-menu in Options.

• Assisted Parkour: Perfect for beginners, maintaining the original Dying Light 2 experience.
    • Physical Parkour: Enable this setting for a grounded, physical, and intense journey. A more grounded and ruthless experience. The ability to disable "jump magnets" for more authentic gameplay.

As a cherry-on-top, we're introducing the ability to slide down billboards with a knife, giving you more immersive gameplay.

Mod.io in-game integration

Parkour across a multiverse of possibilities with a new section in the main menu – Community Maps! PC players can delve into a treasure trove of custom maps crafted by fellow Pilgrims using our Developer Tools. This is just the first step, and we plan to further develop this feature in the future. Expand your horizons within the vast world of Dying Light!

Before diving into the immersive world of Community Maps, please keep the following in mind:

• Each map is a standalone experience, separate from the main campaign and its progression.
    • Custom maps must be completed in a single playthrough, as progress cannot be saved.
    • Presently, co-op integration is not available for Community Maps.
    • Currently, "script" mods that modify gameplay are not supported.

For the time being, Community Maps feature is available only on PC. Mod.io integration for PlayStation, Xbox, and Steamdeck is set to arrive on these platforms later this year!

Highlights

In addition to the aforementioned changes, we are thrilled to introduce several significant features:

Enhanced Graphics:

Experience a series of graphical improvements, including a new graphics option on PC: SSR Ultra (Screen Space Reflections – Ultra setting).

SSR Ultra dramatically enhances the drawing distance of reflections, immersing you in a more realistic and detailed world.

LOD range multiplier being extended from 100 to 140 for Quality and RT presets.

• Immerse yourself in the nostalgia of Kyle Crane's era with a new color grading option called "Harran Sunset".
    • Unleash your inner yeet-master with the ability to throw weapons and retrieve them later.
    • Enjoy improved UI changes at the beginning and end of the Dynamic Challenges.
    • An additional menu option to auto-skip opening movies on PC, saving you time and getting you into the action faster.
    • Preserve your unique character aesthetic by hiding your helmet using the new transmog options, allowing you to flaunt your signature Dying Drip.

Game Update

Apart from all the big news from the Good Night Good Luck update above, we’ve also introduced the following fixes and improvements to the game:

Weapons that were claimable in the stash are now blueprints available to be crafted at Craftmaster.

Co-op

• Rewards for Dynamic Challenges should be received properly.
    • The game will no longer crash for users upon entering the inventory while going to sleep after being teleported.

Gameplay

• Fixed ability to grab the ledge of some objects.
    • Fire from burning bodies render correctly from a further distance.
    • During the Getting Stronger quest, Virals will no longer spawn directly in Aiden's position during the chase sequence, blocking further progress.
    • The user is no longer able to use the "Afterboost" parkour skill without being active.
    • Anna's sentences during the Stolen Goods quest are louder.
    • The sound effect played when Aiden is punching while jumping is fixed.
    • Fixed an issue where the player could remain stuck inside the metro station during the Prometheus main quest.
    • Chase can be no longer be triggered during the Prometheus quest.
    • Waltz behavior improved during the chase sequence in the Veronica quest.
    • Volatile health bars should be visible again upon enabling that feature in the settings.
    • Removed improperly placed parkour and environment objects in the world.
    • Lieutenants in the Heron Renegados bandit camp will spawn correctly.
    • Dismembered body parts will no longer instantly disappear.
    • Renegade zones have their own characteristic sound of night coming.
    • 1H-weapon attack animations are faster than before.

Technical

• Corrupted particles in the distance were fixed during the Catch Hubert objective.
    • Fixed missing materials in various locations.
    • Removed invisible walls that occurred in various locations.
    • Motion Blur settings in the game should stick to the set values.
    • Synchronization of some voice over lines with subtitles.
    • The game will no longer receive both inputs from mouse and keyboard while having two options selected.
    • Fixed an issue with textures that allowed players to go outside the map.
    • Spike pathing is fixed during the prologue.
    • The music does not stop in some regions of the map.
    • Fixed water shaders when swimming underwater.
    • Fixed crashes that might occur when entering water.
    • Fixed the position of NPCs during some dialogues.
    • Dockets will correctly appear in Aiden's Stash.

UI

• Player will no longer be stuck in an empty screen upon closing the pop-up about too many save slots being occupied while starting a New Game.
    • The Military Bundles description balloon is fixed and no longer contains Gunslinger Bundle content text in the In-game Store tab.
    • News is no longer duplicated in the main menu.
    • The chase indicator no longer overlaps with XP gained icons.
    • Gunslinger Bundle is present in the in-game shop.
    • A typo was present in the "new arena unlocked" message in the Bloody Ties DLC – it's gone now, forever.
    • Left Stick Forward UI prompt was misplaced during prologue tutorials.
    • Main menu options were not highlighted correctly when the cursor was hovering over them.
    • Removed an improper shadow in the co-op menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

I'm not gonna read the comments here due to fear of spoilers, so just a quick question from me for those who've finished it: is it worth it? I loved the first game, btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭brady12

I loved the first game one my fav games ever but this was big let down for me but that was at launch might be well patched by now though .

• Advertisement

Yeah, 2 was a big disappointment, i only got about half way through before giving up just after launch. Tried again last night after the big updates to combat, gore, parkour and night and it plays so much better. I have no idea what's going on though, might start a new playthrough.

The new colour grades are very interesting. I'm playing on Gritty & Dark which makes it look much better, more grim which i prefer over the greenery and bright colours everywhere. I always thought the game looked to green and fresh. The night is also way scarier now, almost pitch black with just my flashlight guiding the way and volatiles popping out left and right.

Still trying to determine what filter to play on but the physical parkour mode is an absolute must to play on, parkour is so much better with it on.

Normal filter

Gritty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why did you give up on @Zero-Cool ? was it the story?

It was a mix of things. I really didn't like the new floaty parkour, it was such a departure from DL1 that felt way more grounded. The devs said it was to give the player more control but I just didn't enjoy moving around the map like the 1st game. Then the story/characters were awful. Apparently the lead writer was fired after a sexual harassment claim (which since turned out to be false) and they had to change the story. You have factions to help but they are so bad, I wanted to start my own faction and kill everyone in the game. Very annoying characters and quests. Where as in DL1, I felt like I was actually helping survivors where as this, everyone is a dick and I'm an errand boy for them. Then there's the atmosphere. Night wasn't very dark and volatiles didn't roam the streets so straight away, no sense of night danger like the first game. Lastly, the day time looked too colourful, green trees everywhere and bright colourful billboards. It did not look like a post apocalyptic setting. I get they are rebuilding but it lost the dangers bleak atmosphere from the first game.

Now with the update, filters change the colour, nights are darker, volatiles roam the streets and most importantly, parkour feels like the first game with added gravity, makes a huge difference to the atmosphere and experience. Gonna start a fresh game today but I know underneath all that, the story is still crap but apparently new DLC in the works to give a better horror story experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I kinda lost interest shortly after meeting the sniper lady character, an I also was a huge fan of the first game. I downloaded the update yesterday so must have a look at the weekend to see if its any more engaging.

When you say 'grounded parkour' what exactly does that mean?

More realistic. Hard to explain, even showing a video, but the gravity has been lowered so every jump and grab looks and feels more realistic now, i suppose i meant grounded in reality. Before or, i felt like i was super mario jumping from rooftop to rooftop with no skill involved. The old parkour is now called assisted parkour and the description says it's for casual players. Physical Parkour description says it's for dying light veterans. Just much more fun to get around.

Ok, between this update and last month's combat and gore update, this game has completely changed for me. I thought would still find the story boring but i spent hours last night really enjoying the quests, not skipping one scene. The only sense of it i can make is I'm now enjoying the core mechanics so it's saddle fun to travel, fight and complete quests where before the combat and parkour was boring so i just tuned out of the story. I can't wait to get stuck back into this where as previously, i was just thinking about other games any time i played this.

Aw goddamn. I was loving this, just an utter joy to play since the update but just tonight i noticed im unable to fast travel because the game thinks I'm in a quest. I completed multiple quests but still getting the same message which is stopping me from getting back to old Villeador from Central Loop.

Google tells me it's an old bug and some people get it fixed while others have to start a new game. I was going to start a new game but my launch safe title was 20 hours in and i had very little moves unlocked (i think because i was just not having fun so didn't bother hunting down unlocks) so said I'd just continue that save.

Not the end of the world if i have to start again but definitely annoying. Submitted a ticket with Techland, will see that they say. I tried the samer file rollback option but no joy. If anyone does notice that fast travel becomes locked to the same bug, quit to main menu, play campaign, select your save file and choose the option to roll back. It will tell how much time played you will lose but might get you back to before the bug started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sorry to hear about the bug, hopefully it gets sorted. I also took a look aver the weekend, I played up to the point where you get the glider, and the game definitely feels much better, For me, the change to the parkour, is that it feels more precise, there was a weird kind of floaty-ness to it before where you could keep altering your direction, and it felt like you didnt know if he was going to grab the ledges or not. that now seems to be thankfully gone.

Apparently the bug was fixed last June. I have a feeling that because I'm using an old Dave before that, some of the glitch carried over. I saw you can get around it with the grappling hook which i haven't even unlocked yet, Google tells me I'll be getting that in the next main mission Broadcast and then just 5 or 6 main missions left. I haven't done any GRA anomalies or gre buildings, barely any side stuff done, i really tried to just get through the game quickly originally, no wonder I'm short on upgrades and equipment.

I'm gonna start a new game, do the game justice and get more out of it.

• Advertisement

Support got back to me, this issue was fixed in a previous patch and it seems like the bug carried over from an old save file so only option is to start a new game. On the plus side, I had already started a new game and absolutely loving it, such a drastic turn around from when i played it at launch. I'm doing EVERY activity around me and the parkour is a pure joy now. Combat encounters are all enjoyable and the night is a tense run for loot and safety. EVERYTHING I complained about recently has been fixed (except story but can't do much with that). Techland are legends for turning this game around. Absolutely recommend trying it again if anyone was put off at launch like me.

Advertisement