Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car warranty, am i covered?

Options
  • 10-06-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So I bought a 2013 vw golf off a main dealer in the midlands of ireland 8 weeks ago. Car has 1 year warranty and apparently was given a full service/inspection prior to sale. I have driven 4000km since purchase, and tonight I have noticed a very loud tearing noise when I apply the break. I am presuming break pad is worn. Would you agree that I should be able to have this repaired free of charge considering the short time since purchase to this problem arising?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it in fact brake pads then they normally are not covered by warranty as they are defined as consumable parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, a noise while braking is most likely pads/ discs being worn which isn't a warranty item.

That said if it was a "Das Welt" approved car, they usually stipulate that it shouldn't need any further servicing for 12 months/ 15k kms from purchase so if the dealer is any use they will sort them out for you regardless of them not being a "warrantable" item.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, a noise while braking is most likely pads/ discs being worn which isn't a warranty item.

That said if it was a "Das Welt" approved car, they usually stipulate that it shouldn't need any further servicing for 12 months/ 15k kms from purchase so if the dealer is any use they will sort them out for you regardless of them not being a "warrantable" item.

That's an interesting one. You would imagine that it would be routine for the pads/discs to be checked by the dealer at time of resale preparation in that scenario to avoid the car coming back in shortly afterwards at the dealer's cost, unless it's a case of the new pads were wore out in 8 weeks since buying the car.

I'd say the comprehensive check list may not have been that comprehensively checked, or it was just a bad judgement by the mechanic who checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goodeone

Dropped the car in today and have a loan car now. They were very adamant that the car was fully checked and that the problem could occur at any time. They weren't happy when I suggested a full inspection is carried out again. Looks like they are aiming towards charging me for the work. Will let ye know the outcome

• Advertisement

What are they saying the issue was?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any servicing mechanic should change brake pads if it is clear that they wont last until next service internal. If it is pads in this case, well they have no leg to stand on. The car should have been fit for 10k miles without needing brakes or else it wasn't serviced.
    If on the other hand its a mechanical failiure, well that is warranty work. The way I see it, it needs to be covered by the garage. Now I realise dealers no longer just service before sale as its best to stick with the requirements and intervals that the car is calling for. That being the case, I note audi for example then guarantee that any servicing requirements within 6 months of sale would be taken care of free of charge.

Either way, it should be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Goodeone wrote: »
    So I bought a 2013 vw golf off a main dealer in the midlands of ireland 8 weeks ago. Car has 1 year warranty and apparently was given a full service/inspection prior to sale. I have driven 4000km since purchase, and tonight I have noticed a very loud tearing noise when I apply the break. I am presuming break pad is worn. Would you agree that I should be able to have this repaired free of charge considering the short time since purchase to this problem arising?

No I would not agree

mickdw wrote: »
    Either way, it should be free.

That's it really and the intended perk of paying main dealer premium is the intention that you shouldn't have to quibble for it. OP probably paid top dollar for the car so shouldn't have to be opening their wallet for any reason after 4k/ 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If something as simple to spot as the pads are gone it makes a complete joke of their Multi-Point Check for used cars they promote if after 8 weeks the pads are down to the metal...
    Before a car becomes a Volkswagen approved used car, it must pass over 100 individual checks. Our factory trained technicians conduct a thorough inspection both inside and out, noting and resolving any defects that may appear. This inspection covers a wide range of checks from mechanical, electrical, under bonnet, vehicle underside, bodywork as well as wheels/tyres checks and ends with a full road−test. You will receive a detailed written report which you can examine.

https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/used-cars.html

• Advertisement

It does, mistakes and errors can and do happen though, the same as anywhere. The best way to judge the garage would be on what they do next IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goodeone

Car was ready for collection first thing this morning, on collection I was told that the noise was caused by break pads and discs as I had presumed. They put new break pads and discs on both front and back of the car. Calipers were checked and lubricated and a full inspection of the car was performed. Car was washed and valeted. All work was done for free as they said I had done very little mileage since purchase. They didnt apologise nor were they in anyway sympathetic that it did happen but I cant complain too much overall. Just lucky it happened sooner rather than later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Seems to be a good job.

Someone made a mistake in the initial check which is bad but as said can happen. How they reacted was the main test. The replaced the lot, valeted the car and had it ready first thing in the morning when they said it would be. That's a great result.

I wouldn't be looking looking for an apology or sympathy from them, just the work to be completed in a timely manor which they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Okay result but I'd never be happy running my brakes steel on steel. This shouldn't happen on any car that's been in a main dealer 4k km ago.
    I'd be of the opinion that excess heat could be put into the caliper in this scenario.
    I've had it happen to me on older cars when I was a young fella and it would be a matter of sticking new pads in and letting them polish up the disc again but shouldn't be happening in the ops case.

Advertisement