Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wheel vibration

Options
  • 10-06-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Some weeks ago I rotated my car wheels back with front. Shortly after this I got a puncture in one of the front wheels which I had fixed.
    I started noticing a steering vibration when going over 60 mph so I went to a tyre shop and had the front wheels balanced.
    After this I still had the vibration in the steering, so I decided to swap the wheels back again to see if it was a wheel problem or maybe a ball joint or suspension issue but after swapping back the wheels to the way they had been originally the vibration isn't there.
    So this has me thinking now that did the tyre shop not do the balancing correctly but I doubt a reputable tyre shop could make a mistake like this as it was only a 10 euro job and I am guessing wheel balance would be one of the most straight forward jobs for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

The weight might of come off I've had this before had the wheel balanced and the vibration came back a couple of days later as the weight fell off shop just rebalanced and was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Peter256 wrote: »
    Some weeks ago I rotated my car wheels back with front. Shortly after this I got a puncture in one of the front wheels which I had fixed.
    I started noticing a steering vibration when going over 60 mph so I went to a tyre shop and had the front wheels balanced.
    After this I still had the vibration in the steering, so I decided to swap the wheels back again to see if it was a wheel problem or maybe a ball joint or suspension issue but after swapping back the wheels to the way they had been originally the vibration isn't there.
    So this has me thinking now that did the tyre shop not do the balancing correctly but I doubt a reputable tyre shop could make a mistake like this as it was only a 10 euro job and I am guessing wheel balance would be one of the most straight forward jobs for them.

Go back and explain the symptoms to them. A balance weight may have fallen off.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Peter256

The weights didn't fall off I checked the wheels and the weights are still on both wheels. There was a weight missing on one of the wheels before I got them balanced but definitely the 2 wheel's have the weights now, so maybe it could be a buckle.

The weights didn't fall off I checked the wheels and the weights are still on both wheels. There was a weight missing on one of the wheels before I got them balanced but definitely the 2 wheel's have the weights now, so maybe it could be a buckle.

Weights go inside the wheel as well as outside. Did you check the inside?

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Weights go inside the wheel as well as outside. Did you check the inside?

Yeah I checked and the weights are on the inside aswell as outside of both wheel's.
    Funnily enough on the pair of wheels that don't vibrate there is a missing weight on the outside of one of the wheels.

Yeah I checked and the weights are on the inside aswell as outside of both wheel's.
    Funnily enough on the pair of wheels that don't vibrate there is a missing weight on the outside of one of the wheels.

What's the steering like when braking at different speeds?

What's the steering like when braking at different speeds?

There is no problems with the steering when braking. Just vibration when above 60 mph speed. It's definitely a problem with the wheels so I am guessing it's a buckle unless the tyre shop balanced them incorrect by placing the weights in the wrong positions on rim but what's the chances of that. Maybe there is a way of checking a wheel for a buckle.

There is no problems with the steering when braking. Just vibration when above 60 mph speed. It's definitely a problem with the wheels so I am guessing it's a buckle unless the tyre shop balanced them incorrect by placing the weights in the wrong positions on rim but what's the chances of that. Maybe there is a way of checking a wheel for a buckle.

It's a tricky one. I'm wondering why, if the wheel is very slighty buckled, that would not have been dealt with by balancing.

Yeah, bring it back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's a tricky one. I'm wondering why, if the wheel is very slighty buckled, that would not have been dealt with by balancing.

Yeah, bring it back to them.

Balancing will not fix a buckle issue. The wheel will need to be repaired or new alloy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Have you checked the Wheels in question for a hairline crack. I'd try picking up a second hand wheel and try and eliminate the offending Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

sky6 wrote: »
    Have you checked the Wheels in question for a hairline crack. I'd try picking up a second hand wheel and try and eliminate the offending Wheel.

I would be going with the buckle in the wheel also. Your symptoms are that of a buckled wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Do you have aftermarket alloys on the car or are the standard wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with the others on a buckled wheel.
    It will not give symptoms when on rear but will shake at motorways speeds when on front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭blackbox

Bmw123d wrote: »
    I would be going with the buckle in the wheel also. Your symptoms are that of a buckled wheel

or of a damaged tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

blackbox wrote: »
    or of a damaged tyre.

He got the wheels balanced so a damaged tyre would of being seen and the customer informed so the tyre situation doesn’t come in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A kerbed alloy can be hard to spot if it's just slightly buckled.
    I find the switch from fronts to rears helps to troubleshoot this kind of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Try putting the spare wheel on as a test, back left then back right.
    If the steering wheel isn't vibrating when braking, it's most probably the back wheels.

Advertisement