Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint chip/rust touchups

Options
  • 10-06-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've a couple of little paint chips which have started rusting which I want to touch up, I'm not in a position to get whole panels painted right now although I might in future. For now the aim is to still further rusting/damage.

I'll be treating the rusty area's with bilthamber (I've had good results with this in the past) but will need to do something about covering up the bare metal (assuming it's just surface and not coming from the inside out). Halfords have touchup pens, I found this and this also, both very similar kits.

Is there a major difference between any of the kits like above, any particular brand/type which has a good reputation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Just buy an aerosol of the correct colour and a box of toothpicks. Spray a bit into the cover of the can and fill in the chips using the toothpick.

The brushes with those kits are too big and will be difficult to repair chips with.

You won't need primer or lacquer but if you want to be sure that further rust is prevented for a long time you could fill in the chip with zinc primer first but wait a few days to apply the top coat as when the primer hasn't hardened properly it can mix with the top coat which will ruin the colour match.

You might be lucky and places like halfords or a motor factors might have a premixed aerosol of your colour on the shelf which costs about €10. If you have to get it mixed it's around €20

Advertisement