Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Product advice, ultimate compound.

Options
  • 10-06-2018 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi, planning on giving the new motor a good going over soon. Im no expert so hoping you lads cab give me a steer.

The car is a bmw m235, so info online suggests this doesnt have the usual rock hard clearcoat typically seen on bmws.

The paintwork is in good nick apart fron swirl marks in direct sunlight.

Plan is:
    Wash and dry ..2 bucket method
    Use liquid clay/autoglym magma to remove contaminants
    Polish with meguires ultimate compound using a DA.
    Polish again with Autoglym SRP using DA
    Wax application using DA.

The products mentioned are what I have to hand, is the SRP a good choice post ultimate compound? Already spent a fortune on product so only want to buy more if necessary.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Magma before claybar
    Ultimate Compound will do an OK job
    SRP afterwards will likely be a pointless step - full of fillers, which may lead to you believing the finish is good, and it will also hinder the bonding of any subsequent wax or sealant
    Wax application via DA is in most cases more effort than by hand - application and buffing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Curran wrote: »
    Magma before claybar
    Ultimate Compound will do an OK job
    SRP afterwards will likely be a pointless step - full of fillers, which may lead to you believing the finish is good, and it will also hinder the bonding of any subsequent wax or sealant
    Wax application via DA is in most cases more effort than by hand - application and buffing

Thanks Curran.

What would you recommend after ultimate compound in terms of a polish ?

Any what would you recommend instead of ultimate compound for light swirl marks?

Thanks

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thanks Curran.

What would you recommend after ultimate compound in terms of a polish ?

Any what would you recommend instead of ultimate compound for light swirl marks?

Thanks

Can anyone else offer some advice? Car is a 142 and paintwork is in good condition apart from swir marks in sunlight.

Ill be using a da polisher and dont want anything too aggressive..but also done want a masking polish full of fillers.

What I have at the minute is meguires ultimate compound, ultimate polish and also autoglym super resin polish.

Prior to polishing ill be waching and claying.

Any advice on what polish to use? Limited to halfords but can return the meguires stuff I have and exchange if necessary.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Can anyone else offer some advice? Car is a 142 and paintwork is in good condition apart from swir marks in sunlight.

Ill be using a da polisher and dont want anything too aggressive..but also done want a masking polish full of fillers.

What I have at the minute is meguires ultimate compound, ultimate polish and also autoglym super resin polish.

Prior to polishing ill be waching and claying.

Any advice on what polish to use? Limited to halfords but can return the meguires stuff I have and exchange if necessary.

Thanks!

Why not buy online from an Irish Retailer? You'll have it next day from everyone on this Isle! You'll have to look into a dedicated polishing range if you're after something with very little to no fillers. The likes of Menzerna 2200 which would be a nice medium polish that is easy to work with would do the job. Car Pro's Fixer, Menzerna 400, Scholl Concepts S20 would all be worth looking at as dedicated 1 step products too.

Why not buy online from an Irish Retailer? You'll have it next day from everyone on this Isle! You'll have to look into a dedicated polishing range if you're after something with very little to no fillers. The likes of Menzerna 2200 which would be a nice medium polish that is easy to work with would do the job. Car Pro's Fixer, Menzerna 400, Scholl Concepts S20 would all be worth looking at as dedicated 1 step products too.

Thanks. Looking for advice on halfords range for now (I have a gift voucher).

Any ideas?-

• Advertisement
Advertisement