Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Returning to the road, can I get a boreen-able runner spending 10 to 12k?

Options
  • 09-06-2018 6:05pm

So, permanent contract secured, I was looking through my numbers & I think I can finally stretch to getting a car. The most extreme thing I'd do with it is bring it up boreens for hiking and possibly running it through bad weather events. I've 10+ years full licence, and owned a car for over 5 of those. However, I've been without a car for some years,and my only driving experience at the moment is being a GoCar member and being a named driver on my parent's runabout (a Toyota Yaris, previously a 00 Hyundai accent for 2+years).

The 20-4-10 rule tells me that about 10k total is available (over the 4 years), and combined with 2k saved deposit (by September) that brings me to 12k. What ranges should I be looking at with that kind of money? Will insurance drive me down to looking at a 6k late 00s car or can I up that to 7-8?

Or do I need to abandon all hope of outdoor pursuits, and just get as cheap as possible to do the barest of minimums until my No Claims gets back to speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Cork981

How many consecutive years named driver experience do you have ?

Some insurers will take named experience and apply a NCB equivalent discount.

Cork981 wrote: »
    How many consecutive years named driver experience do you have ?

Some insurers will take named experience and apply a NCB equivalent discount.

2 years on the Accent, about 6 months on the Yaris at this stage. I'd estimate that by the time it's relevant, I'd have 2-3/4 to 3 years total.

Guys, what do we think of a Santa Fe? Too much Car for just one? How about a Dacia Duster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

What's your budget and are we looking petrol or diesel?

racso1975 wrote: »
    What's your budget and are we looking petrol or diesel?

From 1st post:
    The 20-4-10 rule tells me that about 10k total is available (over the 4 years), and combined with 2k saved deposit (by September) that brings me to 12k. What ranges should I be looking at with that kind of money? Will insurance drive me down to looking at a 6k late 00s car or can I up that to 7-8?

I’m easy on either. The 1.5 size of the Dacia is turning me toward them at the moment, and the car you can get for 8-9k is streets ahead for them than for a Hyundai.

As regards insurance, I’m a 2 years+ named driver after an ownership gap, with 5+ no claims before that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement