Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Car made grinding noise and now won't start?

Options
  • 09-06-2018 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Was driving the car around as it needed a good run, it drove fine for about 20 minutes but then it started grinding. Stopped and it got louder and louder so stopped the car, restarted it and recorded this video. It stalled without any input and now won't start. It's a 2000 VW Golf, any hope for it? Only cost me 195 so if it's anything major I'll just part it. Was booked in for an NCT too in a couple weeks time haha

www(.)youtube(.)com/watch?v=tXDBx0Uq7Qk

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Big ends I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Ya I’d be going with the crankshaft bearings also. And just so u know don’t keep trying to start it you are only doing further damage although thinking about it u need a new engine anyway. In fairness these engines are knowing for going. The problem then comes around of trying to find a replacement engine.
    Now by all means you could fit a second hand engine but it’s prob going to cost you double of what the car is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Is there any oil in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Too late for oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ryanbarrett02

Thanks everyone for replying, thinking it's the fan belt tensioner as I charged the battery overnight, stuck it on and it started up but smoke poured from the engine. Had a closer look and the fan belt tensioner seems to be seized so will be buying one of them and see if that solves our issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Take the belt off and start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ryanbarrett02

jca wrote: »

Not to be rude but what good would that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It would confirm it's the tensioner at fault if the noise stops when the belt is off.

To be fair with a €195 car if it needs an oil service it's a write off, so yo ur best bet is to bin it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Yes this is how we diagnose symptoms with tensioners and pulleys. It could be something else causing the tension to be like that I’ve seen that before to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

jca wrote: »

I would do this before I spend a cent on it. Fair enough if it's the tensioner I would repair it but if it's the engine buy a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If you can't do basic diagnostics get a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Would you say its similar to :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NomhMWz1MQ

?

Advertisement