Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30 km/h in residential areas

Options
  • 09-06-2018 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was told that all residential areas in Dublin have a speed limit of 30 km/h even without a 30km/h speed limit sign. Is that correct or there must be speed limit sign in order for it to be a 30km/h zone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭dennyk

Not necessarily all, but many do. They should all be signed properly. This page details the exact zones (although note that the linked map is out of date; the bye-law was adopted as proposed, so *all* highlighted areas on the map of any color are now subject to the 30km/h limit...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

dennyk wrote: »
    Not necessarily all, but many do. They should all be signed properly. This page details the exact zones (although note that the linked map is out of date; the bye-law was adopted as proposed, so *all* highlighted areas on the map of any color are now subject to the 30km/h limit...)

So if there is no 30 km/h sign, the tester won't penalize me for going over 30 km/h (and below 50) in a residential area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Can anyone please confirm that if there is no speed limit sign in residential areas then the speed should be 50 km/h max?

I just don't want to drive too slow and then fail the test.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Amouar wrote: »
    Can anyone please confirm that if there is no speed limit sign in residential areas then the speed should be 50 km/h max?

I just don't want to drive too slow and then fail the test.

Thanks

If there is no sign explicitly stating a speed limit of 30km/h in a housing estate then a 50km/h limit would apply. As for what speed would be appropriate it depends entirely on the roads in question. I would imagine for the most part that far under 50km/h is appropriate on narrow residential streets/housing estates. But if it is a wide and clear section 50km/h could be equally appropriate.

I make it sound difficult to determine, but in practise it should be quite obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Know the route. My area is a 30KMH area and there is one bloody sign and most of the locals have missed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement