Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp 4 & travel to NI/UK for work?

Options
  • 06-06-2018 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I know that similar questions have been posted here before but I haven’t come across a definitive answer and am hoping that some might be able to help, or direct me to a relevant thread.

With Stamp 4 status (Non EU citizen), does anyone know if you are allowed to travel to Northern Ireland or the UK in the course of your work duties? (While permanently resident in Ireland, permanently employed by an Irish company and paid by an Irish company). I understand that NI and the UK are different jurisdictions, but if working for an Irish company who provide cross border services would I be allowed to travel for work purposes?

I haven’t been able to find anything specifically addressing this on the INIS website, or elsewhere online. If anyone can direct me to any official documentation that refers to a situation such as this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You won’t find out on the INIS website as it’s a matter for the U.K. agencies not the Irish ones. In most cases, your Irish permission will be irrelevant in determining your rights in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,238 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I remember a non-eu national that we had working for us who the company wanted to travel to the UK for a day or so. In the end the requirements were such a pain the company dropped it. You definitely need to ask the UK authorities not the irish ones. Your stamp 4 status does not give you automatic rights to work in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

You'd need to get a multi-entry visa from the UK to head across to Britain. Heading up to NI probably wouldn't be an issue. There's no border to cross, and no requirement to carry a passport, so they can't really check your status.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,238 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

seagull wrote: »
    You'd need to get a multi-entry visa from the UK to head across to Britain. Heading up to NI probably wouldn't be an issue. There's no border to cross, and no requirement to carry a passport, so they can't really check your status.

despite the fact that you probably wouldn't be checked if you went up north you would still require the appropriate visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Junipers wrote: »
    Hi,

I know that similar questions have been posted here before but I haven’t come across a definitive answer and am hoping that some might be able to help, or direct me to a relevant thread.

With Stamp 4 status (Non EU citizen), does anyone know if you are allowed to travel to Northern Ireland or the UK in the course of your work duties? (While permanently resident in Ireland, permanently employed by an Irish company and paid by an Irish company). I understand that NI and the UK are different jurisdictions, but if working for an Irish company who provide cross border services would I be allowed to travel for work purposes?

I haven’t been able to find anything specifically addressing this on the INIS website, or elsewhere online. If anyone can direct me to any official documentation that refers to a situation such as this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    J

You will need a multi-entry visa for Ireland.
    You will need a single or multi-entry visa for the UK.
    It does not sound like you are working in the UK, just going on a business trip. Therefore you will not need a work permit for the UK. But to be sure, check with the UK embassy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

seagull wrote: »

Not correct in several respects.

There IS a border, and you occasionally see immigration officers checking the Bus/Train and even stopping private cars.

The IS a requirement to carry a passport, but UK/IE citizens are exempt.

For the OP, the same requirements/restrictions exist for any travel to any part of the UK, (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland). The only different with NI is that it is easier to evade them.

All this of course assume that the OP requires a visa to enter the UK, in theory, one might need a visa for Ireland, but not the UK, depending on ones nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junipers

Thanks everyone for your responses. I don't require a visa to enter the UK, and I require a multi entry visa to return to Ireland. However when crossing a boarder it would be very obvious that I am doing so for work purposes (driving a bus). So while I would technically be working while in the UK, I would be working for an Irish company and paying my taxes here. I get the feeling that it's not going to be possible.

Advertisement