Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do customs open up random packages but Garda don’t search random cars

Options
  • 05-06-2018 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I ordered a number of pricey collectors items online. Customs opened up these packages and have dramatically reduced their value. It got me thinking why can customs do this randomly to see if there’s drugs or illegal items without any sort of suspicion or warrant? It should be implemented the same way that Garda need suspicion or warrant to search a car or property

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

nails1 wrote: »
    I ordered a number of pricey collectors items online. Customs opened up these packages and have dramatically reduced their value. It got me thinking why can customs do this randomly to see if there’s drugs or illegal items without any sort of suspicion or warrant? It should be implemented the same way that Garda need suspicion or warrant to search a car or property

They do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

u obviously never bought that evo

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Tigger wrote: »
    They do

Yep they do but they shouldn’t, especially when a Garda can’t

The garda search cars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

it's the custom's role to investigate stuff entering the state and matters concerning revenue.

• Advertisement

The garda search cars

They don’t pull over random cars and start searching them for no reason unless they have reason to believe that car has something illegal.

They don’t pull over random cars and start searching them for no reason unless they have reason to believe that car has something illegal.

Nor do revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Customs duty and import taxes cover all products transported into the country.
    If your product does not have to be illegal just of sufficient economic value to be liable for vat or duty or other revenue control.
    Customs don't need suspicions as all product 'qualify' for inspection once they cross the border.

Nor do revenue

They do. They stop random packages to check

They check patches that ping their algorithms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

nails1 wrote:

It's usually to check the value & to see if duty & vat are due.

Are these posted from outside the EU?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's usually to check the value & to see if duty & vat are due.

Are these posted from outside the EU?

No they were from uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'm sure I read somewhere that Customs can even enter your home without a warrant. Very wide powers

I'm sure I read somewhere that Customs can even enter your home without a warrant. Very wide powers

That is true. In some ways they have more powers than the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

That is true. In some ways they have more powers than the Gardai

It's not true, Customs can not enter a private dwelling without a warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not random, they stop packages that flag on their system.
    Things like using FedEx/DHL or other courier shipping and then declaring item value as low or sample for example.
    €100+ shipping costs on a cheap item always raises a flag, plenty more things too.

International post is screened and risk assessed, opening and interception is not a random process.

GM228 wrote:
    It's not true, Customs can not enter a private dwelling without a warrant.

Yes they can.

Yes they can.

No they can't, it's very specific in the legislation.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/7/section/136/enacted/en/html#sec136
    136.—(1) An officer may, at all reasonable times, on production of the authorisation of such officer if so requested by any person affected, enter a premises or other place (other than a dwelling) in which....

It's also made very clear several times in Revenue's Powers Manual, for example:-
    ② Statutory powers of entry/search do not extend to private dwellings. However, these powers can be exercised in the garden, yard or driveway of a dwelling.

They tried to bring in such a provision with the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012 in relation to the LPT, but it was found to be unconstitutional and that provision was then removed from the Act in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

No. But if you happen to be on a back road on the way home from work at night where they are waiting for a dealer or someone else you get searched. Has happened twice to me in the course of a few weeks. I let them work away. They had the ASU lads with them.

GM228 wrote:
    No they can't, it's very specific in the legislation.

So they can't follow you off the boat, follow you & enter your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A lot of people are buying funko pop vinyl figures from outside the EU revenue have caught on and especially ones from Australia are being hammered for import charges.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forceably entered save in accordance with law.

So they can't follow you off the boat, follow you & enter your house?

Nope they can't as already shown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Reati wrote: »
    No. But if you happen to be on a back road on the way home from work at night where they are waiting for a dealer or someone else you get searched. Has happened twice to me in the course of a few weeks. I let them work away. They had the ASU lads with them.

not random then is it ?

specific intelligence on a quite back road with little traffic.

unfortunate coincidence that you were there but not random

Advertisement