Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 225: Whitaker vs Romero Sat June 9th 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Personally I felt Whittaker won the fight, it's his second time beating Romero, and in the closer of the two fights Romero didn't even make weight. So Whittaker is clearly the #1 MW for me.

I found it weird when Rogan was calling for a 'Rubber Match'..... Surely a third fight only usually happens when each fighter has both won a fight? A bit pointless having a rubber match considering Whitaker is 2-0 vs Romero so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I found it weird when Rogan was calling for a 'Rubber Match'..... Surely a third fight only usually happens when each fighter has both won a fight? A bit pointless having a rubber match considering Whitaker is 2-0 vs Romero so far.

Yeah, technically a the third fight in a trilogy is only a rubber match when it's 1-1. But that said, I don't have a huge issue if these two fight again seeing as this wasn't for the belt.

I reckon it was just a bit of a slip of the tongue from Rogan, when he mentioned it it didn't even register with me that he had used the wrong terminology. He has to think quickly on his feet when asking questions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'm not sure it was a slip of the tongue rather than he just didn't know what the phrase meant. I'm not his biggest fan to begin with but he seemed to be way off most of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'm not sure it was a slip of the tongue rather than he just didn't know what the phrase meant. I'm not his biggest fan to begin with but he seemed to be way off most of the night.

Skunk is a hell of a drug.

He was talking about a potential fix in the CM Punk fight, which is a huge no-no for a sports commentator.

Whatever about people at home speculating about these things, or a rival organization. For a UFC commentator to talk about a fight being fixed on the official broadcast...seems like a huge lapse of judgement or else he's got one foot out the door and DGAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

... or else he's got one foot out the door and DGAF.

I get this impression myself.

Yeah he just gives zero f*cks these days for sure. I'd say he'd only be too happy for the UFC to let him go. On the fight pass prelims he was very, very scathing regarding the CM Punk fight. In times gone by he would find a way of spinning a yarn about why the Punk fight meant something but these days he just doesn't care. He's talked about the possibility of packing it in countless times on his pod.

Itd be a sad day when he leaves. He's not the most polished or professional but he brings character to the UFC broadcast like nobody else ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, I agree. His tone has been very sneery, cynical and unprofessional recently, like what you hear from fans instead of the mouthpiece of the UFC. It seems like he just doesn't give a frigg alright, he will be gone soon enough I'd say.

I watched the UFC 20 year doc, Fighting for a Generation last night. Enjoyed it, but I remember when Goldie left I thought it would never be the same again but after a few events you get completely used to Jon Anaik.

Likewise let's say when Bill O'Herlihy retired you just get used to Daragh Maloney after a while, it's only in rare cases that losing a presenter kills a show, the original Crystal Maze springs to mind where as soon as Richard O'Brien left everyone stopped watching it.

Likewise because Joe Rogan has only been doing the odd show recently, he won't be missed if/when he does leave permanently. In fact, for me, it's almost gone 180 already where hearing and seeing him at this PPV seemed a bit weird as I wasn't used to him.

The only constant in life is change I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If there was an award for flop of the night it should go to Megan Anderson. Big, tall and rangy I was expecting so much more. She really looked out of her depth, didn't have a clue what to do in any situation on the ground. I would never have thought of Holm as a grappler but she shut her down big time.

Impressive from Holm and a very classy competitor, I thought she was finished after a run of losses but looks to be on fire again.

John Anik is brilliant at his job. You can tell he is just so knowledgable about the sport and does tonnes and tonnes of homework. I never even got the impression from Mike Goldberg that he was even a big fan of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

rob316 wrote: »
    If there was an award for flop of the night it should go to Megan Anderson. Big, tall and rangy I was expecting so much more. She really looked out of her depth, didn't have a clue what to do in any situation on the ground. I would never have thought of Holm as a grappler but she shut her down big time.

Impressive from Holm and a very classy competitor, I thought she was finished after a run of losses but looks to be on fire again.

Anderson has beaten absolute nobodies, fighting Holm was way too soon for her. They should've built her up but unfortunately that division is a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anderson has beaten absolute nobodies, fighting Holm was way too soon for her. They should've built her up but unfortunately that division is a complete joke.

Wasn't she booked to fight Cyborg earlier in the year? :eek:

The problem with the likes of Megan Anderson, is she's either fighting nobodies or she's fighting Holm or Cyborg. That division is so paper thin that there's no scope to build her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yeah Rogan doesn't seem to care too much about it and is saying what he wants the last couple of years. He was also friends with Anthony Bourdain so probably wasn't in the best mood Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I dont think its saying what he wants i think hes just telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Tbh I think Rogan really enjoys the work, he just in the position where he doesn't have to be a company man. They need him more than he needs them.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Tbh I think Rogan really enjoys the work, he just in the position where he doesn't have to be a company man. They need him more than he needs them.

Yes exactly. Good way of putting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Carla Esparza has accused Gadelha of greasing before the fight, sour grapes probably as she didn't mention her blatant headbutt to Claudia. Also don't fighters get checked for vaseline in their pre fight checks for mouthpiece etc...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dulux99 wrote: »
    I reckon it was just a bit of a slip of the tongue from Rogan, when he mentioned it it didn't even register with me that he had used the wrong terminology. He has to think quickly on his feet when asking questions like that.
    Best slip of the tongue by him was the build up to Evans/Smith, on the build up when talking of Rashad he threw out various highlights of his career TUF,Liddell KO,becoming champion etc...he then said something along the lines of...Lyoto Machida then ended his career...I mean ended his title run folks :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Haven't seen the judges scorecards anywhere for the main event. Were they released?

Rewatched it and scored it 48-46 Romero

Edit: Apologies guys I found them. Not sure how to attach pictures though.

2 judges gave Whitaker the 4th round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Last round only questionable one for me. If that's not a 10-8 then what is

Last round only questionable one for me. If that's not a 10-8 then what is

Round 4 to Whittaker?
    I think it's questionable. Romero rocked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Round 4 to Whittaker?
    I think it's questionable. Romero rocked him.

Far as I can remember 4 was a very close round. Whitaker had a few amazing flurries in that round? I thought the only definet rounds for yoel were 3 and 5. I only watched it once so don't kill me if I'm well off

Whittaker definitely won R4. Yoel landing one shot doesn't change that. He had to take most of the round off after gassing after the effort in the third.

Whittaker definitely won R4. Yoel landing one shot doesn't change that. He had to take most of the round off after gassing after the effort in the third.

I take your point but I think it's a little bit subjective and depends how highly you score a knockdown in the overall scheme of a close round.

I take your point but I think it's a little bit subjective and depends how highly you score a knockdown in the overall scheme of a close round.

I agree but it's not boxing. If you comprehensively lose a round but get knocked down, it doesn't invalidate all your good work.

• Advertisement

I agree but it's not boxing. If you comprehensively lose a round but get knocked down, it doesn't invalidate all your good work.

Actually just rewatched a 3rd time and you're absolutely right. Think I was getting slightly mixed up between what actually happened in the 4th/5th round.

He wobbled him in the last 30 seconds but coasted the entire round. Not enough to steal it.

In that case it's a 47-47 draw for me.
    10-8 in round 5.

Whatever the opinion on the scores it was a fight of the year contender.

Advertisement