Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner drivers on the Motorway (UK)

Options
  • 04-06-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

So as off today, learner drivers are allowed on UK Motorways, with their instructer.

Wondering how this could, or would work here. Now obviously many of us may not live near a Motorway, like they do in the UK, most of Wales, much of Scotland, and the SW of England, do not have Motorway, so not sure of their plans around that.

However, I was/am fortunate enough to live near a HQDC, and my instructer felt me competent enough to take to it from lesson 3, and also formed part of my test, so at least gave me confidence to drive on a Motorway standard road at a 100km, so at least was good experience for actual Motorway driving in the future.

Could we follow suit any time soon, could learner drivers travel to a school near a Motorway to avail of such a lesson, could it even help with insurance premiums if you had Motorway lessons.

Although saying all that, I knew some learner drivers who lived near none HQDCs here, and it wasn't part of their lessons/test, and were shocked and surprised that I was taken on a HQDC, let alone drove at 80-100 during my lessons and test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

motorway driving is easier than driving an N or R road. It's not a big deal, so long as your observation skills are up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Currently discussing the UK issue on BBCR2 if anyone can pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

They already drive on motorways here. It may be illegal though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You should receive training on every aspect of driving. No reason why motorway use isn't part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

All for it if it reduces the number of people attempting to merge or leave motorways at 80kph!

• Advertisement
Advertisement