Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear suspension top arm, tricky access

Options
  • 02-06-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Has anyone changed the rear suspension top arm on a Vectra C (pre-facelift)?
    I got the outside pin removed without any hassle but the inner side's nuts and pin are fairly hard to have the space to turn the spanners.
    I've thought of removing the spring which is slightly in the way but I don't think it would give me much more room. I'd definitely like to avoid dropping the sub frame if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Thats actually fairly roomy compared to some

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

That’s actually not bad in fairness.
    Anyways moray tear suspension nuts and bolts you only get about a quarter of a turn each time on them. It always is a slow process.
    My advice is just take it handy try relax and don’t rush. It’s one of those time consuming jobs that just takes time.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Bmw123d wrote: »
    That’s actually not bad in fairness.
    Anyways moray tear suspension nuts and bolts you only get about a quarter of a turn each time on them. It always is a slow process.
    My advice is just take it handy try relax and don’t rush. It’s one of those time consuming jobs that just takes time.
    Best of luck

The problem is the articulation isn't even one click on the rachet. The right hand nut in the picture is Torx too so 2 ring spanners isn't an option. Any ideas how to get an extra couple of mill of room?

LariToper wrote: »
    The problem is the articulation isn't even one click on the rachet. The right hand nut in the picture is Torx too so 2 ring spanners isn't an option. Any ideas how to get an extra couple of mill of room?

I actually uses my e torx rachet spanners they work a treat. Flex head and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yeah some ratchets have poor resolution.
    Is it possible to use an extension with a socket on the nut end, to position the ratchet where it has room to swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Yeah some ratchets have poor resolution.
    Is it possible to use an extension with a socket on the nut end, to position the ratchet where it has room to swing.

Well tried again today lads. Feel like I've tried everything at this stage and still can't break the nuts on the inside side. Even resorted to breaking out the impact gun, used two extensions and a swivel socket and ended up just breaking the swivel socket. Any other ideas for getting better access?
    My next idea for tomorrow is taking off the spring in the hope it gives me a bit more room

Well tried again today lads. Feel like I've tried everything at this stage and still can't break the nuts on the inside side. Even resorted to breaking out the impact gun, used two extensions and a swivel socket and ended up just breaking the swivel socket. Any other ideas for getting better access?
    My next idea for tomorrow is taking off the spring in the hope it gives me a bit more room

The impact gun gone work anywat because all the extensions take the torque out of it. You could try a second scanner extending the length of the first one. Or if not using a breaker bar with a short socket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Buy a better ratchet with more teeth, good tools make all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Bmw123d wrote: »
    The impact gun gone work anywat because all the extensions take the torque out of it. You could try a second scanner extending the length of the first one. Or if not using a breaker bar with a short socket

Well if you got an impact gun on it access can’t be that bad.
    Have you a breaker bar, ... ratchets I find are too short for cracking corroded suspension parts.

Advertisement