Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How old is your battery?

Options
  • 02-06-2018 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I have a 2001 A4 that was a UK import and as far as I can tell it is still on its original battery. So that's 17 year old.
    Battery has been faultless the years I've owned it(since 2006) and usually starts on first turn.
    During the last winter I did have my first mornings were it was difficult to start so its probably not going to see another.

Anyone have similar experiences or longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just about 2 years and it’s sh!te, the winter killed it. It’s a Halford’s own brand and I tried to return it within warranty but they said there’s “nothing wrong with it, it’s just flat”. ”I know it flat but it’s not supposed to be and no, I don’t want to buy a trickle charger”. There was no one to have a proper discussion with so I left it for another time (which I’ve forgotten about until this thread reminded me) - I’m sure that’s exactly what they wanted. Anyway, that day I jumped of MrsTeals car for the 3rd time that week and it’s been fine since. I’m sure I’ll be back to square one next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

A little over 2 years. I asked the dealer to put a new battery in when I was buying the car. They put a Yuasa battery in and it's worked fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

its still on the original at 10 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I replaced a 10 year old battery in december, original BMW part.

I've replaced batteries from the motor factors every ~2 years for family members. That just seems to be the lifespan of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

6 years from original battery. 4 years currently on motor factor one. No issues yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i recently bought a solar charger for my often-parked-up camper and it's been so good I've ordered another for my stored Fiesta.

It's often lack of use that kills batteries, if it's used regularly and is still going flat, investigate your alternator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Jeez, 2 years from a battery seems really crap. My previous car was a Punto and around the 4 year mark the battery caused problems when on our last day on a short break in England. I had to get pushed off the ferry when we arrived back in Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I've a 00. Original battery only died about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

18yr old in one car and 14yr old battery in the other. Starting ok still

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

6 years in an avensis still good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

I scrapped a 2002 ford focus this year that was still on original battery, although it was on the way out!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Around a year old, it was a free replacement for a Halfords one that lasted 40 months, 4 months out of warranty.
    Cant believe I actually kept the receipt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Halfords replaced a battery for me that was two years out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

One is from around 2009 and another from I'd say 2012

Advertisement