Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Emerging trend of running red lights?

Options
  • 30-05-2018 11:02pm
    Subscribers Posts: 23

So admittedly I rarely drive in Dublin but today I had to drive from the city centre out to Sandyford and in the course of that journey on 3 separate occasions I saw a number of cars blatantly ignore red lights.

The most egregious incident - two lanes approaching a set of traffic lights that had just turned red - as I began to slow the car beside me shot through. Had just enough time to think to myself "that was a bit cheeky" when another car shot by me also.

I always used to think we Irish for all our driving faults had pretty good traffic light discipline but on the evidence of today I'm starting to think different. Did I just pick a bad day to drive in Dublin or is this something that's becoming the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's far from emerging it's been endemic for the last few years.

On the N81 the red light means that another 5 cars go though. It's gotten to the stage that if there's a car behind I seriously have to think about braking or flooring it for red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mrtestosterone

If you keep running red lights then obviously your luck will run out but I know why it's done. Some ridiculous traffic lights, you are sitting for 3 minutes if it's on red, most people get extremely frustrated after a few of them, especially when you're sitting there for minutes and not a single car passes. So they take the risk and jump the red in order to avoid sitting at a pointless light for x amount of minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Majority are cars on pcp so they don’t own them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the lemming effect where the idiot just follows the vehicle in front of them through the junction thinking if he can make so can I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sooner the better they bring in automatic cameras that nab red light jumpers with an automated fine and a few penalty points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you keep running red lights then obviously your luck will run out but I know why it's done. Some ridiculous traffic lights, you are sitting for 3 minutes if it's on red, most people get extremely frustrated after a few of them, especially when you're sitting there for minutes and not a single car passes. So they take the risk and jump the red in order to avoid sitting at a pointless light for x amount of minutes

They aren't waiting ages most of the time though, not out Tallaght direction anyway.

On Sunday I was driving and coming up to a T junction which was green for ages so I started to slow down as I knew they would be red before I got to the junction. I was going left and just as the lights went red a car flew out from behind me turning right and I though was going to break the lights, they missed the stop line but did stop. Then when the traffic on green cleared the junction they drove through the red, I waited the 30 seconds for green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Its been happening for the past few years bit its getting so blatantly obvious now that its becoming the standard certainly in the centre of our town.

For me it means that when crossing at pedestrian crossing i wont step out til sure there's no car.
    As a driver my faith in feeling safe to go on green is gone. Theres always the chance that some moron who just cant wait for 1/2 minutes maybe even less, will zip through the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What's I've seen many times is a car stopping on red or slowing down on amber, and someone else accelerating into the inside lane (usually a bus lane) to pass them on the left and break the lights...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Amber means pedal to the metal
    Red means a few more cars will get through

Dare you slow and stop on amber > red and you be beeped at / gesticulated at / nearly rearended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Sooner the better they bring in automatic cameras that nab red light jumpers with an automated fine and a few penalty points.

They have them here in the states. I think they're class because you actually see a bright flash when you're caught (not me personally).

I love looking at the drivers try to stop after the flash but its too late then.

Once you cross the line...FLASH!!! :pac:

Moral of the story is, don't cross the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I see numerous incidents every day,... tho I posted a great eg of a RLJ in the dash cam forum.
    Go check it out, it could've been fatal!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I see numerous incidents every day,... tho I posted a great eg of a RLJ in the dash cam forum.
    Go check it out, it could've been fatal!?

If that was from today I saw it already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

So admittedly I rarely drive in Dublin but today I had to drive from the city centre out to Sandyford and in the course of that journey on 3 separate occasions I saw a number of cars blatantly ignore red lights.

The most egregious incident - two lanes approaching a set of traffic lights that had just turned red - as I began to slow the car beside me shot through. Had just enough time to think to myself "that was a bit cheeky" when another car shot by me also.

I always used to think we Irish for all our driving faults had pretty good traffic light discipline but on the evidence of today I'm starting to think different. Did I just pick a bad day to drive in Dublin or is this something that's becoming the norm?

By any chance was this at the junction beside the Beacon hospital? Hundreds of cars and cyclists ignore red lights the daily. It's a miracle that a pedestrian hasn't been seriously injured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I find taxi drivers are the worst for it. Headed from the Dundrum Town Center roundabout at Tesco towards stillorgan on Friday the lights were green for me from the roundabout all the way until I went through. There was a taxi who was actually stopped and as I approached decided he would just go for it despite the fact that I still had the green light.

They are also the worst for hogging the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Also seen it often around Derry/Donegal.

I think people have learned that once their light turns to red, there is a few seconds of limbo when no-one has green, and so if they drive through a red even if its a couple of seconds late, they will still have time to exit before someone else gets a green.

Its wrong of course, but that seems to be whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

tcawley29 wrote: »
    They have them here in the states. I think they're class because you actually see a bright flash when you're caught (not me personally).

I love looking at the drivers try to stop after the flash but its too late then.

Even the ones that do stop, the number of them that drive over the stop line is huge. In the UK a cop would pull you for this. Cameras would sort these as well ( the Gardai won't! )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Awaits the usual whingers spouting the usual bullsh*t: "it's only a red light, calm down"

It's a growing epidemic that will only be looked into when there's more accidents and fatalities caused by red light runners.

It has gotten so bad in Dublin now that I find myself double double checking left and right for red light jumpers if I'm first away when lights turn green for me.
    Its really getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It all boils down to our (Ireland) relatively relaxed attitude to traffic violations plus the depleted Gardai who aren't even remotely able to tackle the red light offenders.

Even the legislators have pretty small fines relative to the potential seriousness of the offence. The (theoretical) fine for your dog crapping on the street is far higher. €1000? So your pet dog sh*tting in a public place is a far more serious offence than a motorist breaking a red light it would seem.

Same with phone usage while driving. €60 and 3 points? The UK recently doubled their penalties for same. Bottom line......Ireland Inc. doesn't really care about most traffic offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fairly rampant in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was rear-ended about 10 years ago in Dublin when the light turned amber when I was still some distance from it. I slowed and stopped. A good 3-5 seconds later I was hit by a small truck. The driver's first words were "I didn't expect you to stop", as if it was all my fault.

Thankfully there was minimal damage, but he was far enough behind me that there's no way he'd have made it through on the amber, even if I hadn't been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It has gotten so bad in Dublin now that I find myself double double checking left and right for red light jumpers if I'm first away when lights turn green for me.
    Its really getting out of hand.

You're actually supposed to do that anyway even if the light is green, AFAIK it even says this in the ROTR (sorry, TMA! :) ). These days it's pretty much essential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    Majority are cars on pcp so they don’t own them anyway.

Even the cars are on drugs? No wonder they're running red lights...

blastman wrote: »
    You're actually supposed to do that anyway even if the light is green, AFAIK it even says this in the ROTR (sorry, TMA! :) ). These days it's pretty much essential.

Yes, I know, but what I meant was the "Double DOUBLE" check specifically for them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

biko wrote: »
    Fairly rampant in Galway

I was going to say this, too. Dublin is nothing to Galway.

I am often first to stop at a red light in Galway. Drivers generally take out their phones and browse the web while stopped, meaning it's 30 seconds after Green before the line of stopped traffic even thinks about starting. They then compensate by having no-one slow on orange and 5 cars run each red light.

I got a light tap on the bumper in Cork a year ago for stopping at a red light from a pickup who just assumed I was going to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

This is a massive issue in Dublin.
    Lack of Garda presence is not helping.
    At this stage it is every set of lights you are at your light will go green & can be up to 3 seconds after a car will cross, obviously breaking the red light.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not recent either, it's been bad for years and ambler gambling too.

If you're out before 7.30 am or after 9 pm it's worse again as people presume they're either )not going to be caught, or b) not going to endanger someone.

I've had 2 lights go amber this week as I'm going through the junction so I proceeded to clear them. In both occasions cars sped up front good distance back to go through the red, one of them just to get to the back of traffic at th endt lights

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Noodle Scratcher

I see it every time I drive through Galway. Sometimes two or three cars. People are just impatient in general these days. They want everything now. Instant karma is gonna get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No city town is immune to it. Look at the dash cam thread for many examples.

This ain't a dig - but the Garda are obviously not sitting at every junction waiting to see if somebody breaks a red - so people know there is less of a chance of getting caught and keep going basically not giving a ****e about other road users who have a green. They don't care about the consequences. The want to get from A to B and if that means flouting the law, so be it.

If people abided by light sequences, traffic would move quicker. There is a knock on effect because of their impatience and I bet they wonder why they get delayed at the next lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

tcawley29 wrote: »

if they are doing that, they better bring in a display timer for green to amber also. Some light change are too short at certain junctions.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement