Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SEAT Exeo or other 2nd hand diesel?

Options
  • 28-05-2018 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a SEAT Exeo, 2010 - 2011.

I'm currently doing about 30,000 km/annum in a Honda Accord 2.0.
    That may increase to around 45,000 km/annum and a decent value used diesel seems the best option, especially with fuel prices rising.

I'd like to spend as little as possible : Maybe €5k to €8k.

SEAT Exeo seem to be good value for the spec. Old A4 chassis with some improvements and worse styling, newer VAG CR Tdi engines. Ones in the price range have around 160k km on the clock.

I assume making sure that the VAG emissions fix has NOT been done is an essential check before buying one of these. Is there anything else to look out for? Are the 170 Bhp versions any more or less reliable?

I was also considering Skoda Superb of the same age but most models in the price range seem to be lower spec or with 1.6 Tdi engines. Would people have any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Volvo S80 are quite good value.
    Renault Laguna worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Volvo S80 are quite good value.
    Renault Laguna worth a look too.

I know the newer Renaults have come on a lot in reliability but would minor annoyances like electrical gremlins still be more common with them than other marques?

No, I’d say the Exeo would be more likely to have gremlins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

There's not too many on the road so that is something to consider.

I'd look at Saab 93, they're a better looking car, very spacious, reliable and any engine parts are same as Vectra/Insignia so no hassle there.

That's good to know. I don't doubt your knowledge but are you basing that on your own experience or industry knowledge?

I assume the 1.5 Dci is a bit underpowered for the car, anything to look out for on the 2.0 diesel?

The Volvo S80 looks very nice. Anything I should look out for?

What would you think of this one:

http://https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-luxury-suspension/18815321

Also any thoughts on this Laguna Coupe?

http://https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-monaco-coupe-150bhp-2009/18684064

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's basically an older A4 in a different frock. Lots of toys and well equipped.

A relation has one (imported) and it seems good, although it actually isn't that big inside.

D Trent wrote: »
    There's not too many on the road so that is something to consider.

I'd look at Saab 93, they're a better looking car, very spacious, reliable and any engine parts are same as Vectra/Insignia so no hassle there.

Does the Insignia diesel engine not have some fairly serious issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

I had an Exeo which was a fantastic car to drive. Essentially an older A4 with a more modern engine. Had it 4 years did well over 100k in it and never a single problem. I’d definitely take it over a similar aged Insignia

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

I was looking at several Exeos myself these last couple of weeks. I surprised how small they were inside and for some reason loads have had their suspensions messed with and were lowered. Very nice car otherwise.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Does the Insignia diesel engine not have some fairly serious issues?

Insignia has a different engine (2.0) the 93 is 1.9
    I needed an EGR cooler recently and it's the same part as what's in the Insignia, 40 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the Exeo might be starting to become then newer RS4 TDi with felters. I've seen a few "kitted" ones surfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I assume making sure that the VAG emissions fix has NOT been done is an essential check before buying one of these.

I wouldn't neccessarily discount one that has had the fix. For some intents and purposes it effectively acts as a warranty over things that were already prone to failure in these engines (and were expensive to fix) like EGR coolers and injectors.

In most cases the driveability of the car seems to be largely unaffected unless the car was already in I'll health.

Good to hear because that was my main worry with the model. If it was afflicted with post fix faults would they be fairly easy to identify on a test drive?

Colm's suggestions with the Laguna and S80 did get me thinking though. My only worry with the S80 is that it might be a little big. I don't have people in the back that often but I do like the kind of cabin comfort and quietness at speed that big cars have, as well as leather and decent spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the Exeo might be starting to become then newer RS4 TDi with felters. I've seen a few "kitted" ones surfacing.

Yes definitely. Especially in the North as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

I bought a 2011 Exeo 2 years ago and very happy with it so far. Had the fix done but hasn't affected the performance from what I've noticed although my regular mechanic told me afterwards I probably shouldn't have bothered with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Two last things on the Exeo - cvt gearbox oil change was expensive but necessary apparently.

Fuel consumption is nothing special either - high 30's mpg.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    The reassurance on the VAG emissions fix is particularly good to hear.

I think I'll test drive the Exeo, S80 and Laguna and see which I like best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Drea1993

Hi,

I got myself a 2012 Exeo in April of this year. Second hand obviously.. it is Eng spec so full of extras .. leather heated seats the lot.. and I have to say I couldn't be happier with it.. I will say the back is very tight for passengers especially behind driver because I'm 6 foot ..

It's the 2.0tdi 140 model, has great pull for towing ( remove able towbar came with it). I do a lot a Kms also about 120-150 per day as I work far enough away from home. And I find the economy it's pretty good.. I get maybe 40e a week depending on how I drive..boot is massive.

Overall happy. Would buy again .. comfy..cheap to repair service etc.. I love how it looks(thank you Spain) and the fact it has German Insides..

I hope this helps

Safe driving ðŸ˜

Drea1993 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got myself a 2012 Exeo in April of this year. Second hand obviously.. it is Eng spec so full of extras .. leather heated seats the lot.. and I have to say I couldn't be happier with it.. I will say the back is very tight for passengers especially behind driver because I'm 6 foot ..

It's the 2.0tdi 140 model, has great pull for towing ( remove able towbar came with it). I do a lot a Kms also about 120-150 per day as I work far enough away from home. And I find the economy it's pretty good.. I get maybe 40e a week depending on how I drive..boot is massive.

Overall happy. Would buy again .. comfy..cheap to repair service etc.. I love how it looks(thank you Spain) and the fact it has German Insides..

I hope this helps

Safe driving ðŸ˜
    Should be thanking Germany there aswell ...

D Trent wrote: »
    Should be thanking Germany there aswell ...
    Yes, the bits Spain did aren’t great tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement