Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big open air Busk (busking bye-laws)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

inisboffin wrote: »
    It is classified as gifts according to some arts sites, as it is donation not a payment. They don't get relief in the same way but that's the category apparently (probably for want of a better one!) But it depends if the busker is self employed or paye, and they can also be both PAYE and Self Assessed over 5k or a combo.

NO gigs or performances are tax exempt, regardless of food/drink. Tax exemption only applies to a 'thing', whether original work or not. For example you can claim on the sale of a book, but not income from a reading.

People have lots of misconceptions about artist filing, including many artists themselves!

I worked as a Revenue Auditor for three years. It is not classified as gifts, it is regular income. There are many concerts that are VAT exempt.

You need to stop posting incorrect information.

Everything you need to know can be found at the following links from Revenue, never trust random art sites to give tax advice.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/income-and-employment/artists-exemption/index.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-on-services/exceptions-to-the-general-place-of-supply-rules-for-services/admission-to-events/what-is-an-admission-for-vat-purposes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I worked as a Revenue Auditor for three years. It is not classified as gifts, it is regular income. There are many concerts that are VAT exempt.

You need to stop posting incorrect information.

Everything you need to know can be found at the following links from Revenue, never trust random art sites to give tax advice.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/income-and-employment/artists-exemption/index.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-on-services/exceptions-to-the-general-place-of-supply-rules-for-services/admission-to-events/what-is-an-admission-for-vat-purposes.aspx

Where did I mention VAT?

You don't even have to register for VAT as self employed up to a certain amount (which is listed in your links).

I said the artist exemption (as per the link you posted) only applied to *things*

*books or other forms of writing
    *plays
    *musical compositions
    *painting or similar pictures
    *sculptures

Not any performance income. A lot of people think this artists' exemption applies to all art forms and all expressions - it doesn't.

Re gifts, you're right, it is a difference in wording but applied to someone under a tax threshold anyway, so it wouldn't matter what it was, but thanks for clarifying that.

See this article - very misleading, it implies the up to 50k artist exemption applies to performance - it doesn't!
    (aside from that the article is quite helpful!)

https://www.taxback.com/blog/how-is-busking-income-taxed-in-ireland/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Had a debate on newstslk this morning, someone CC Fianna Fáil and someone from the busking community.
    Poor lady got schooled in a big way. If the busking community are going to fight this we need to be sending articulated and competent people forward on our air waysv

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Had a debate on newstslk this morning, someone CC Fianna Fáil and someone from the busking community.
    Poor lady got schooled in a big way. If the busking community are going to fight this we need to be sending articulated and competent people forward on our air waysv

who was on-air exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

• Advertisement

ingalway wrote: »

thanks but I didn't ask for a link to the show, i have no interest in listening to it but i am still interested to know which busker was on air if you might be so kind as to type out the 2 words instead of going to all the extra effort to copy and paste the link to the show

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It was someone called Nicole v. Cllr Keane

I thought she put her points across very well.

zell12 wrote: »

thanks a lot x

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

pure.conya wrote: »
    thanks but I didn't ask for a link to the show, i have no interest in listening to it but i am still interested to know which busker was on air if you might be so kind as to type out the 2 words instead of going to all the extra effort to copy and paste the link to the show

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

pure.conya wrote: »

Hard L work to typing out a long message, Think she had triple barrelled name, you’ll have to click the link to find out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »

That would be Niceol Blue.
    She is always very articulate alright when she is speaking on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I listened on the player. Were you listening to the same thing at all? :pac:
    She spoke very articulately and didn't misrepresent a thing.
    The only person who got schooled (as usual) was Peter Keane when he was unable to answer the questions posed and completely misrepresented what he was 'selling'. Was expecting a longer piece though tbh, nothing I didn't already know.

Advertisement