Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap martial art clubs north Dublin

Options
  • 20-05-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looking for a good martial arts club in north Dublin area preferably around Dublin 3/9 but if there is a very good club a bit further make the suggestion please. Would prefer if under €30 so please comment the price aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

sam20028 wrote: »
    Looking for a good martial arts club in north Dublin area preferably around Dublin 3/9 but if there is a very good club a bit further make the suggestion please. Would prefer if under €30 so please comment the price aswell.

Per session, week or month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

If youre looking for a good Martial Arts club for less than 3 euro per month im afraid you probably wont find much. Smaller time stuff like Tai Chi or maybe some small TKD classes might charge you like 10 bucks per class. Maybe even a boxing gym as thats quite cheap too. But larger gyms or more popular martial arts like BJJ will run you a bare minimum of about 70 per month.
    Im from D9 area and i can only think of like one place nearby, thats Team Balance in Drumcondra, but again, theyre about 75 or so per month. There is also Daigokan Judo in Donneycarney, its only 10 bucks per class.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sam20028

I’m trying to get under €30 maybe 40/45 a month as a teenager I’ve seen a BJJ gym for €30 a month unlimited classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I’m trying to get under €30 maybe 40/45 a month as a teenager I’ve seen a BJJ gym for €30 a month unlimited classes

If you've found a place that does unlimited BJJ classes for 30 I suggest you go there.

10 per class is a pretty average fee across Dublin for most martial arts, dropping down to maybe 6-7 if you do a monthly deal.

Wild Geese Judo in Pearse Street charges 5 euro a class if you're a student (if I remember correctly), and I think that's probably the cheapest you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

where is this club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

€30 a month for unlimited classes.. Go on, we all want to hear this one?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Looking for a good martial arts club in north Dublin area preferably around Dublin 3/9 . . .

SVJ Karate Club in Fairview is probably the best value in Ireland, though they have a waiting list. The club runs on a voluntary basis.
    Look them up www.svjkarate.net

It's a traditional martial art school, and they do not do much in the way of competitions (lack of demand from members). If that's the sort of thing you're looking for? They charge per term, not per month. Typically a term is 3 - 4 months & costs €95 for an adult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Zen65 wrote: »
    SVJ Karate Club in Fairview is probably the best value in Ireland, though they have a waiting list. The club runs on a voluntary basis.
    Look them up www.svjkarate.net

It's a traditional martial art school, and they do not do much in the way of competitions (lack of demand from members). If that's the sort of thing you're looking for? They charge per term, not per month. Typically a term is 3 - 4 months & costs €95 for an adult.

I've never done karate, but just an observation: 95 euro for 3-4 months? That's incredibly cheap compared to what clubs run by full time instructors are charging these days. Mainly thinking here of BJJ / MMA clubs, which seem to be the biggest going business concerns in martial arts terms these days (maybe the only ones?). 95 euro would probably be the off peak cost per month in some of these clubs.

Anecdotally I suppose there are still a lot of traditional martial arts which are charging 10-14 euro per class out there as well, which, depending on the amount of training done, might mean someone is paying under 100 euro per month as well.

Not saying it's good or bad either way. I can understand why a facility with an all-day timetable and showers / changing facilities, a large staff etc, is inevitably going to charge higher prices.

But the amateur ethos, with guys teaching a few nights a week while holding down full time normal jobs, seems like it is only persisting in the traditional arts?
    I think all the 'big' BJJ / MMA schools in Dublin are full time in nature.

It's a long time since I did traditional martial arts but my first teacher made a big point of the value of being an amateur, it was presented as allowing for him to teach who he wanted rather than having a bottom line to worry about. I think, in hindsight, there is an element of truth to that, but then again... There's a lot to be said for more classes, better facilities and being able to focus entirely on developing as a coach I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

I've never done karate, but just an observation: 95 euro for 3-4 months? That's incredibly cheap compared to what clubs run by full time instructors are charging these days.

Yes, we really are that cheap. An adult member of our club would pay €95 x 3 in a year, and that includes licensing and insurance, but not gradings (which we arrange with external instructors and subsidize to the best extent we can).

Advertisement