Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

99 Merc C180

Options
  • 17-05-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of advise here guys.

My 99 Merc C180 has an NCT next week. Brought her to the garage today and they gave me an estimate of around €1000 - €1200 for work needed, plus she needs welding on two holes in the chassis. I'm really fond of the car and don't want to part with it ... BUT is it worth keeping ... maybe next year I could run it as a classic and maybe over time I could restore it and it might go up in value? I could buy a 05 C180 for about €1500 ... maybe this would be better option?

Thanks in advance for any advise on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I would take it in for a NCT anyway and see what it actually fails on then see what the bill is.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Yes, get it tested, impossible to guess what they might fail it on. Took my C180 recently, they failed it because the Earth Strap on the battery was not tight!
    I think the C180 is a lovely car, completely under rated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How're you finding the insurance on it?

I've been trying to find a home for my Dad's 01 E200 (210), as insurance is now gone past the €1k mark. He's been offered a couple of hundred quid, max, from a dealer.

(First Ireland were all set to let me insure it as another classic were it not for my 5 penalty points. :mad:)

Agree about getting yours tested. And be wary of paying buying an 05 car. It would have to have an NCT, and you should get an insurance quote first, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I understand your dilemma, I had a '96 C230K and had to sell it about 5/6 years ago because of the tax, I really miss it. Even silly little things like how the indicator stalks had a nice quality tactile feel to them!

Like others said spend the E55 to see what's needed, you might be pleasantly surprised, or, it it turns out that 2k is needed to put it right, you can get rid without thinking "what if".

If you have the space by all means take it off the road for a bit and do it up as time/money allows. Not sure if a C180 would go up much in value in the near future but who knows?

Good luck with it!

Advertisement