Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suede - Bord Gais Theatre Oct 14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

1st night in denmark setlist

As One
    She
    Outsiders
    This Hollywood Life
    We Are the Pigs
    So Young
    To the Birds
    Tides
    Roadkill
    Still Life
    Cold Hands
    It Starts and Ends With You
    Filmstar
    Metal Mickey
    Trash
    Animal Nitrate
    Down/By the Sea (Brett totally acoustic: No mike on voice or guitar)
    The Invisibles
    Flytipping
    Encore:
    Beautiful Ones
    Life Is Golden
    That's possibly my favourite setlist from the current run.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Down and By the Sea. Jesus.

I'd kill for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Stockholm might get my vote (Snowblind, solo acoustic Pantomime Horse), but - even if personal favourites might get left out - these are all great setlists.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Buzzing for this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

looks like new generation and lazy were played tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

looks like new generation and lazy were played tonight
    Heard they played all of the new album as well.

I'd rather the new album be split back up, as much as I love it. 7-8 with a hits set list in between is plenty.

I'd rather the new album be split back up, as much as I love it. 7-8 with a hits set list in between is plenty.

they probably only changed it up last night cos it was second night in the same venue..i believe your going friday to the first of 2 nights in same venue? so you'll probably get the "normal" setlist

anyway heres last night set in full..

As One
    Wastelands
    Mistress
    Beyond the Outskirts
    Chalk Circles
    Cold Hands
    Life Is Golden
    Roadkill
    Tides
    Don't Be Afraid If Nobody Loves You
    Dead Bird
    All the Wild Places
    The Invisibles
    Flytipping

Encore:
    The Drowners
    Metal Mickey
    Animal Nitrate
    Lazy
    Trash
    Beautiful Ones
    New Generation

Buzzing for this now!

have you found someone to meet up with before hand bud?

im coming up from cork on the 1.30 train so have no concrete plans yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Where is good to go on a Sunday night after a gig?
    I left Dublin a few years ago and am well out if the loop on such matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Anyone know actual start time for this?

From Ticketmaster reminder

Door time/s 7:00pm

Show time/s 8:00pm (special guests) Jealous of the Birds

9.00pm Suede

Snarky Snark Snark

cheers!

Well that was pretty feck!ng good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Really good. Brett has some energy. Only small quibble was no Drowners. Other than that, no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Had a great time at the gig tonight. They're some live band.

absolutely fantastic !

Delighted to hear the glowing reviews of the Dublin gig. Was meant to chime in here after London on Friday night to warn you all that Brett Anderson seems to be on some personal mission to become the worlds highest performing, sweatiest front man.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Great gig last night. The band is in great form. Brett Anderson has some energy for a man aged 51. Would have liked it to have a bit longer that's how much I enjoyed it. I think though that the Olympia might be for a better place for those who prefer standing. Brett even mentioned it at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Wooderson

What is the Grand Canal Theatre like for a "rock" show? I didnt know they were interested in taking seats out - sound and eyelines must be great, right?

What is the bathroom situation like... my recollection is there is a half-dozen urinals in the basement and thats it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

They took out the first two rows, so Row C was the front row. This created a small standing area at the front, which filled up as soon as the intro music kicked in, probably around six people deep. Security on either side of the stage had clearly been told that this was normal practice for the Suede show, so while I'm sure they eventually called a halt to the numbers getting in, people from rows further behind did move quickly to successfully get into the standing area. After a few songs, everyone stood up, so it was fine. I think the fact that it became a standing show pretty quickly helped to dispel any concerns that the Olympia would have been better.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Snarky Snark Snark

Wooderson wrote: »
    What is the Grand Canal Theatre like for a "rock" show? I didnt know they were interested in taking seats out - sound and eyelines must be great, right?

What is the bathroom situation like... my recollection is there is a half-dozen urinals in the basement and thats it...

Pt.1 - I'd have preferred the Olympia, too far from the stage there when in circle and the seats are a little too comfy for a rock band.

Pt.2 - bogs on every level

smokie72 wrote: »
    Great gig last night. The band is in great form. Brett Anderson has some energy for a man aged 51. Would have liked it to have a bit longer that's how much I enjoyed it. I think though that the Olympia might be for a better place for those who prefer standing. Brett even mentioned it at one stage.

To put what he said in context, he did say he wasn't sure how an all seater would work out as they're not that type of band and they usually play the Olympia, but he was delighted with the crowd reaction. And everyone ended up standing anyway.

He also seemed to have more room to go roaming through the crowd as well. I get your point about the Olympia alright and i wouldn't necessarily disagree, but i don't think the Bord Gais took anything away from the performance and the enjoyment of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Glad to hear everybody enjoyed it. A small bit jealous I decided to swerve it because of the venue but as it worked out, I couldnt have gone to Dublin last night anyway.

On the subject of the venue, I was a little perplexed by the comments made by Mat in the Irish Times ticket magazine a few weeks ago. It made me wonder why they didnt just go for the Olympia.

“We’re actually playing somewhere different, finally,” says Mat. “We’ve played The Olympia so many times and it’s always so good. There’s something quite theatrical about a Suede show, and it just fits in there. The combination that you get in Dublin – loving the venue and being quite drunk – it’s a sweet spot for us. But this is going to be great.”

I've actually seen them in 3 venues in Dublin - Dublin Castle, The Ambassador and The Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

the seats are a little too comfy for a rock band.
    Wow, complaining about the seats being too comfortable for a rock and roll show eh? Kind of like when Primal Scream wouldn't fly into Luton Airport to do Top Of The Pops because it wasn't rock and roll enough.

Much prefer the seats there than the torture that is the Olympia seating.

Anyway, fantastic show. Loved how when they were setting up after the support that the roadie made sure to check how much he could whip the microphone lead!

Snarky Snark Snark

Just find the seats much closer to a comfy cinema seat, far too tempting to sink into it and just let it wash over you when a rock gig is supposed to be more participatory.

Just find the seats much closer to a comfy cinema seat, far too tempting to sink into it and just let it wash over you when a rock gig is supposed to be more participatory.

I agree with that, it would be easy to sink in and watch it all unfold. But it depends on the band as well and by the end, everyone was just standing up and loving it in their own way.

Each to their own and no judgement, i think everyone got what they wanted from that gig last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

That was only the third "rock" show I've been to there.

Kraftwerk, everyone did stay sitting down for the whole show, but then again a Kraftwerk show is as much an art statement as anything.

The 2 Pet Shop Boys shows last year, everyone was on their feet from the beginning, as most people were last night after the first couple of songs.

kmurph wrote: »
    That was only the third "rock" show I've been to there.

Kraftwerk, everyone did stay sitting down for the whole show, but then again a Kraftwerk show is as much an art statement as anything.

The 2 Pet Shop Boys shows last year, everyone was on their feet from the beginning, as most people were last night after the first couple of songs.

That's it ultimately. You know who you're going to see and the venue itself when you're buying the tickets.

I'll always buy standing tickets, but you know straight away if it's all seated.

• Advertisement

So uh... did any of you notice that Brett sung "Oh what turns you on? Gay penis bum!" during every single chorus of Animal Nitrate?

https://twitter.com/matosman/status/1052150276839432193?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The source of the messing is contained in the above thread.

Advertisement