Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Looking for comparisons between Hunt and Scribe wheels (I can't, I shouldn't, I need to pay for the daughter's braces, but you gotta dream), I came across this spectacular piece of verbal diarrhea https://diffbtw.com/scribe-wheels-vs-hunt-wheels-whats-the-difference/

An example: "Scribe wheels usually have speeds up to 30 mph while Hunt Wheels are usually only rated up to 20 mph."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone playing with an early beta of chatGPT?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That was actually funny. I am impressed by Scribes need not to be rotated 🤣

In reality, there is much of a muchness between them. HUNT are in England so you'll pay a bit more but they have a lifetime warranty and reports are generally positive about it. Scribe are up north, decent warranty and a slightly better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Judge Martin Nolan in the papers today, I know he's a bugbear of some here.

“Judges are human, they do make mistakes, but Judge Nolan is regarded by the Bar in general as very hard-working and fair; there are no favours. He hears the evidence, makes up his mind and gives clear and understandable reasons for the sentence. The reasons are well understood. If a party has difficulty with them, they can appeal.”

Nolan deals with some 40 sentences a week, out of which perhaps one or two of those would be appealed by an accused and perhaps one, or fewer, by the Director of Public Prosecutions on grounds of leniency, McGillicuddy estimates. Because of the volume of work most Circuit Court judges are required to get through, most of their sentencing decisions are delivered verbally on the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

has something happened in the tandem world? i have occasionally searched for tandems on adverts, not that i'll probably ever buy one, and you'd usually get a maximum of two for sale, often only one or none. but there are currently six ads for tandems, and a seventh ad for an old frame and some miscellaneous parts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever about people saying how they need cars to get a fridge home, what about a 75" TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Don't know if this is the right thread, thinking of moving my carbon bike on but not sure how to price it?

2017 Canyon Endurace CF7, XL frame, 105 5800 11 speed, 50x34 175mm crankset. New 50t chainring, new chain and new 25t cassette. 32t cassette with some life left, 4iiii left crank power meter, 105 pedals, Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2 tyres and Campagnolo Shamal Mille wheels. 7.8kg with pedals.

People would probably say to sell the wheels separate as it's a €1,200 wheelset but I'd be happy to get a good price on the wheels and a few euro extra for the bike attached to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I’d say you’d be best off trying to sell the wheels separately, the bike itself maybe 7-800 quid with a basic enough wheel set I’d imagine. You could probably get another 4-500 for the wheel set depending on condition, the last set I could see sold on adverts for 350 about a year ago.

For comparison there’s a focus Cayo with ultegra 6800 with a set of shamal ultras for 1200 on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised the wheels would be worth so little? I wouldn't have thought as new wheels would be worth less than half!

• Advertisement

Market for used rim brake stuff has fallen out of its arse the last couple years for the most part, there aren’t many people buying new rim brake bikes to upgrade to higher end wheelsets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Think they’ve been pushing towards having everything have the same pull ratio for the last while, I think everything new Tiagra up to DA now has the same pull ratio, and all the older 5800 and 6800 105 and ultegra stuff too.

Think this’ll be an easy way to sell cheaper group sets to less aware consumers though, it’s easy to tell the difference between claris and sora now but when you throw in model numbers, plus the fact you could have a mix of parts, it’ll make things more complicated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd expect half the cheapest you find them online which is probably about €1200, so realistically I'd be expecting no more than €600. Ask for more and hope that someone really wants them and you will get lucky.

with all the fuss about how we legislate for e-scooters, just makes me happy that bicycles have been around so long. can you imagine how bad the huffing and puffing would be if bicycles - especially e-bikes - were just invented last year, say?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The real pity is the "keep cars off our roads" people were not better organized back in the day.

Should have kept the main streets for ourselves and the cars could have been pushed on to special roads following old train lines.

'what do you mean it's legal for me to buy a vehicle capable of doing three times the maximum legal speed limit?'

i live near ballymun, and it's gas how they absolutely ballsed up the regeneration of the place by deciding to centre it around a dual carriageway; rather than separating the 'village' out onto a dedicated street.

Yeah, it's criminal how it was allowed happen. Wouldn't have happened in lots of other place. Parts of tallaght are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ballymun isn't even a nice dual carriageway with all those ramps.

I think it might have been a plan to Americanise the area - good road infrastructure bring you to wherever you are hoping to go e.g. shopping malls. One main aspect was that Ballymun should act as a main route to/from the airport. If you look at the Ballymun Regeneration Masterplan, it states:

At the heart of our response was the transformation of the dual carriageway into a tree-lined Main Street, which stitches together five new neighbourhoods. 

Dublin City Council also describe it as the town's "main street"

To provide an appropriate urban main street context with buildings of 4-6 storeys in height along the main street, with potential for limited increases in the vicinity of a public rail station. Key gateway landmark buildings already exist framing the 1km long main street.

Plus back then, Ballymun was a poor area so politically nobody really gave a toss!

• Advertisement

my wife used to live in ashbourne, and it's an interesting contrast in that they created a new main shopping street de novo (while still leaving all the existing businesses on the old main road). however, one significant factor which was not 'portable' to ballymun was that ashbourne also had a bypass built around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

I think it's a reasonably shrewd move. I've recently been through the dance of wondering if I can squeeze a 36t cassette onto my non-series Tiagra-ish rear derailleur rated for 34 (I could). I'd have been into compatibility hell if I'd had to swap the derailleur for a long cage. With this, you're good all the way up to 50t small cog if I read it right with no faffing about with short/long cage etc. Given the supply chain issues they've had thanks to COVID, having a big bag of cross compatible parts makes a lot of sense. Can't get the exact component you're looking for? Here's another compatible one which while not ideal at least means you can get the bike moving.

I'm less sure about the banishment of rim brakes at that level, and to a slightly lesser extent - given you can fit a dinner plate out back - to triples going away. Especially the case for tourers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My old Ridley has a Veloce triple group set which originally had 54/42/30 upfront and 13/28 back. I found having 42t in the middle meant far fewer front shifts than with my 50/34 and 11/32 compact setup. Main downside to the triple was that adjusting the front mech was a bit of a black art.

Front mech of my Ultegra triple is adjusted on the fly with barrel adjuster. Not really bothered be for the near 3 years I've had it.

Suppose it would be slightly cheaper if you get it on the bike to work scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

You're not even trying. The Moulton Double-Pylon is practically double the price.

i see met eireann have updated their mobile app again. it now gives predictions of humidity to a tenth of a percent. e.g. for dublin airport, it's predicting 95.4% humidity for 9pm tonight. that's quite a level of accuracy...

• Advertisement

Campag going wireless and ditching the thumb shifter, I’d say that’ll rattle a lot of ‘purists’

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/exclusive-pics-show-campagnolo-definitely-going-wireless-299929?amp

Advertisement