Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Neo (eGolf replacement)

• 23-04-2018 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

After a lot of concept photo's/videos knocking around for a long time some pictures released for a more production type version of the Neo

See website: https://www.cleanthinking.de/elektroauto-vw-neo-volkswagen-auto/

You will need to translate but the main numbers are
    Expected to be released in 2019 but I would expect 2020 for Ireland to buy
    30k to buy in Germany(probably similar money to eGolf here so 35k)
    400km version with optional long range 600km version. This is inline with all the press releases over the last 12 months
    Interior is bigger than eGolf, similar to Passat size. But car itself is shorter than eGolf. Again this was already discussed
    8 sec to 100km/h....not sure how this compares to others
    The photos of interior so far are the 4 seater concept but it was always going to have similar layout of the eGolf. Expect not a whole pile to change from the standard VW layout

Some other information from other website
    Europe will get the Neo first. The Crozz(SUV) will be released in America first. Then after initial release the Crozz will be sold in Europe and the Neo will get released to US market. This is seemingly because the US market like SUV's instead of cars....we are getting more & more like the American's....

The Buzz will be released in 2022. Probably to US market first.

The ID range is based on same platform. This will then be released to the rest of VW(Audi/Seat/Skoda etc) so expect to see lots of versions of this cars in the coming years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I find the Golf (an VWs in general )to be one of the most boring cars on earth, but I really like the look of that. Looks like I'll be waiting a long time for seven seater in the electric space though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I find the Golf (an VWs in general )to be one of the most boring cars on earth, but I really like the look of that. Looks like I'll be waiting a long time for seven seater in the electric space though.

It does depend on your taste. Personally I like the VW layout, not sure if it is due to familiarity more than anything.

I can't stand the Toyota's and not a huge fan of BMW's.....

I do like the look of the Neo now it is more like production version. The concept was awful looking.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Y2K86

Looks like it will be 48kWh battery from Samsung SDI as speculated early this year

Plant opened in Hungary last month, must be going well with this news

For 35k its nice

48kWh should be good for 300km real world and 170bhp motor is plenty quick

Looking forward to this one

170 HP is pretty, Meh ! But looks good all the same. RWD is good news though, it makes a lot more sense in instant torque vehicles, much more than FWD.

A high performance version would be cool especially considering Nissan are planning 200 Hp Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Y2K86 wrote: »
    Looks like it will be 48kWh battery from Samsung SDI as speculated early this year

Plant opened in Hungary last month, must be going well with this news

For 35k its nice

48kWh should be good for 300km real world and 170bhp motor is plenty quick

Looking forward to this one

Thierry? Is that you? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Looks like this will probably be the best EV on the market when it comes out. Looks great and the range is very good. Why would it be 5k more here than in Germany considering the VRT discount?

Its interesting that on the EVs with their own platform that the wheelbase is so much bigger than on Ice cars of the same size. This has the cabin space of a Passat despite being the size of a Polo. Presumably the boot will still be tiny though unfortunately.

170 HP is pretty, Meh ! But looks good all the same. RWD is good news though, it makes a lot more sense in instant torque vehicles, much more than FWD.

A high performance version would be cool especially considering Nissan are planning 200 Hp Leaf.

I dont think any car manufacturer will be too concerned about what Nissan get up to....

It took them how many year to release Leaf 2 and they made a complete balls of it...

I would expect this 200 HP Leaf could be a few years off yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Orebro wrote: »
    IN fairness it was obvious from the first post I saw.
    Not that it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I dont think any car manufacturer will be too concerned about what Nissan get up to....

It took them how many year to release Leaf 2 and they made a complete balls of it...

I would expect this 200 HP Leaf could be a few years off yet....

Around the same time as this concept Neo then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,680 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Bring on more competition!

If the Neo will retail in Germany for €30k, it should be about the same here (we have higher VAT, but also more generous subsidies - compare Ioniq is €29k here and €33k minus €4k subsidy in Germany)

Which means 200BHP 60kWh Leaf should be less than €26k (this would be brutal for resale value of 40kWh Leaf if the car was available next year, but I doubt it is, I'd say it will be 2020 before we have one on Irish plates)

So prices going down and range / power going up. Bring it on!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    If the Neo will retail in Germany for €30k, it should be about the same here (we have higher VAT, but also more generous subsidies - compare Ioniq is €29k here and €33k minus €4k subsidy in Germany)

Which means 200BHP 60kWh Leaf should be less than €26k (this would be brutal for resale value of 40kWh Leaf if the car was available next year, but I doubt it is, I'd say it will be 2020 before we have one on Irish plates)

What logic did you use to come to that conclusion? I cant see a 60kWh Leaf retailing for €26k.

If the concept Neo makes it to market here for €30k (also unlikely imo based on how they price the eGolf) it will be for the "short range" version.... not the long range version, which is what will compete with the 60kWh Leaf.

Note, maybe its meaning is lost in google translate but alot of that article is "should" and "rumour" so I wouldnt believe the €30k figure in Germany to begin with. Could be just click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    What logic did you use to come to that conclusion? I cant see a 60kWh Leaf retailing for €26k.

If the concept Neo makes it to market here for €30k (also unlikely imo based on how they price the eGolf) it will be for the "short range" version.... not the long range version, which is what will compete with the 60kWh Leaf.

Note, maybe its meaning is lost in google translate but alot of that article is "should" and "rumour" so I wouldnt believe the €30k figure in Germany to begin with. Could be just click bait.

Literal from the article
    Price:
    "der weniger als 30.000 Euro kosten soll." That means it should cost less than 30k, but it's not firm.

Range:
    "Die Reichweite des VW Neo soll bei mindestens 400 Kilometern liegen" Range should be around 400km
    Range - longrange
    "eine Version mit einer größeren Batterie geplant. Diese könnte dann für stattliche 600 Kilometer Reichweite sorgen." There is a version planned with a bigger battery, 600km range.

It's an interesting article but there's nothing confirmed in stone.

Around the same time as this concept Neo then! :D

This is the concept.

Small details, like the concept had video cameras as mirror, they are gone.

Proper lights in front. VW badge changed back to standard badge.

I would say that car in link is not a million miles away from production

id.jpg?itok=ogvZntXP

ELM327 wrote: »
    Literal from the article
    Price:
    "der weniger als 30.000 Euro kosten soll." That means it should cost less than 30k, but it's not firm.

Range:
    "Die Reichweite des VW Neo soll bei mindestens 400 Kilometern liegen" Range should be around 400km
    Range - longrange
    "eine Version mit einer größeren Batterie geplant. Diese könnte dann für stattliche 600 Kilometer Reichweite sorgen." There is a version planned with a bigger battery, 600km range.

It's an interesting article but there's nothing confirmed in stone.

I agree. Its closer to click bait than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It looks like an excellent option in the lower end of the market. Were the expected production volumes mentioned in the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,680 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If a VW with similar range / power can come to market for €30k, then a non-premium (higher depreciation) car like a Leaf etc. can not be sold for anywhere near that price level, so take a haircut of 10-15% off that

Same as at the moment 2018 Leaf about €30k, 2018 eGolf about €35k. Both are selling all the cars that they can supply at these prices

I can't see a 60kWh Leaf retailing for €26k myself at current prices, but with more competition and considerably cheaper batteries in 2 years time, it looks quite likely (provided we still have the €10k subsidy, which is far from certain)

If a VW with similar range / power can come to market for €30k, then a non-premium (higher depreciation) car like a Leaf etc. can not be sold for anywhere near that price level, so take a haircut of 10-15% off that

I agree a Nissan wont command the same price as a VW... but the thing is, even if the concept Neo is at €30k thats likely for its entry level short range version hence competing with the 40kWh not 60kWh.

The 40kWh Leaf is €4k less than that already, so I cant see them needing to drop it any further?

The 60kWh Leaf wont be competing with a short range Neo so I cant see a 60kWh Leaf for €26k for a very long time.

I can't see a 60kWh Leaf retailing for €26k myself at current prices, but with more competition and considerably cheaper batteries in 2 years time, it looks quite likely (provided we still have the €10k subsidy, which is far from certain)

The "cheap" batteries might not happen at all. There was a report recently (i posted it before somewhere on here) that beyond 2020 that battery prices would stabilise or might rise due to demand. The raw material prices have gone through the roof in the last year.

Competition might drive prices down alright but only if the other manufacturers deliver volume and that has been hopeless to date.... 300 Ioniq's last year... FFS!

EDIT: This was the battery article and it came from Hyundai.... https://electrek.co/2017/12/13/battery-costs-stop-falling-2020-demand-electric-cars-hyundai/

samih wrote: »
    It looks like an excellent option in the lower end of the market. Were the expected production volumes mentioned in the article?

If Nissan are selling at 30k you can be sure VW will not be at 30k

The VW version will not be aimed for the mid-higher end of the market. The lower end will be the Skoda/Seat version

Based on that alone I cannot see it selling here for 30k. I would expect to be at the same price as eGolf. It's not like they are not selling the eGolf. They can't get enough of them....

If they did price the VW version at 30k then would will they expect you to pay for the Skoda version? 20k? now that would mean VW would kill all competition....

Dont get me wrong, I would love if I could buy the replacement for 30k but I just can't see it happening.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Quarter lights. The designer needs a slap to cop on. Its not the 1970's.

Orebro wrote: »

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Would be mad if they allowed Skoda to bring out EVs. I'd buy one tomorrow. It'd be the same underpinning as a VW without the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RamboJambo

You're all off your heads if you think you'll be able to buy this for less than €30k inc subsidies here! This'll be €35k+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Would be mad if they allowed Skoda to bring out EVs. I'd buy one tomorrow. It'd be the same underpinning as a VW without the cost.

They're that much cheaper anymore an 0ctavia is only about €1k less than a Golf's RRP given same spec/engine size. Seat is better difference is closer to €2k. You will get a better discount with Skoda/Seat but on the other hand VW residuals are better. A Leon FR 184 worked out about €1.5k cheaper for us than what we were quoted for a 1.6tdi Highline Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

like something out of minority report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Well VW have been promising this to undercut their current offerings and Irish subsidies are better than in Germany. But the real question is what their planned production numbers are. They would not want to cannibalise existing ICE sales but at the same in Germany at least the diesel sales are at virtual freefall after cities are planning and now given go ahead to limit access to cities when air quality is poor.

So at least in their home market they'll need this on sale quickly and in large numbers. On other markets like in Ireland where diesel sales are still somewhat holding there is no immediate rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I can see the German unions trying to keep the electric vehicle underpinnings for the German brands, and leave the ICE platforms to Skoda & Seat. Would be perfect way for them to sustain their relatively higher wages into the future, and isolate the the VAG competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

lawred2 wrote: »
    like something out of minority report

Except for the alloys I quite like it but it's the same with most EV's as they're designed for aerodynamics not aesthetics. Hopefully it's out next year it's definitely in the running for my wife's next car and in the long run I quite like the Buzz for myself.

Elektroauto-VW-Neo-kommt-2019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that Buzz is going to be everywhere in the likes of California etc

RamboJambo wrote: »
    You're all off your heads if you think you'll be able to buy this for less than €30k inc subsidies here! This'll be €35k+

Maybe not less than 30k, they will be competive

They are buying batteries cheaper than any automaker with the €20billion agreement with LG, SAM SDI, CATL

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleViewAmp.html%3fidxno=21085

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you could get one with 2-3 of the usual extras for €35k that would be pretty sweet. They could do without the curve on the rear door though, this isn't a Leon :)

I don't like the front of it though, seems a bit soft and bubbly...

Advertisement