Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving

Options
  • 15-04-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi All,

A family friend has a been arrested this evening. Second offence. Previously off the road for 2 years. Don't know how far over but expect a lot.

Whats worst case, best case?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Hi All,

A family friend has a been arrested this evening. Second offence. Previously off the road for 2 years. Don't know how far over but expect a lot.

Whats worst case, best case?

4 years off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

Thanks Op.

Fine? Jail? Process?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fine and a long ban most likely. Should be jail but I'd venture it's unlikely.

Incidentally, you're the OP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

Fine and a long ban most likely. Should be jail but I'd venture it's unlikely.

Incidentally, you're the OP :pac:

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Thanks a mill.

If the first time was only recently, a remand in custody is a possiblity. Seen it happen a few times as a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Entirely depends on the judge. Some will use custody on the third offense, others depending on the circumstances of the second offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

No way jail unless violence was involved, but the ban will be double the norm

AnneFrank wrote: »
    No way jail unless violence was involved, but the ban will be double the norm

You can’t guarantee that. Judge Durkan in Clare jails for 3rd offence. Look him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Lmklad wrote: »
    You can’t guarantee that. Judge Durkan in Clare jails for 3rd offence. Look him up.

And rightly so.

Meant to say above - if you can get them in to AA or something similar to help with their drinking. For their own sake of course but it might be helpful as mitigation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Any offense should be lifetime ban. Screw them. Anyone selfish enough to drink drive has no business driving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Mr.H wrote: »
    Any offense should be lifetime ban. Screw them. Anyone selfish enough to drink drive has no business driving

No. Punishment has to be proportionate. Having a level of alcohol in ones blood that exceeds the legal limit does not and should not entitle a court to disqualify a person for the remainder of their life from ever driving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mr.H wrote: »

As a matter of interest, what punishment would you dish out to somebody who is caught texting while driving.? Possibly the death penalty.!! As many experts now reckon that its 20 times more dangerous than drink-driving.
    Or would you conveniently 'turn a blind eye' because 'everybody else does it' possibly including yourself.

Mod
    Pls stay on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Loss of thumb on texting hand for first offence. Second thumb second offence. Hand for third. Simple, understandable and proportionate.

Mod
    Pls stay on topic. afaik we do not have sharia law here, yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If the first time was only recently, a remand in custody is a possiblity. Seen it happen a few times as a lesson.

If they had been remanded in custody, how would the o/p know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Per the OP, the offender is a family friend. If your friends are sent to prison, you tend to hear about it fairly quickly, e.g. from their families, from mutual friends.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Per the OP, the offender is a family friend. If your friends are sent to prison, you tend to hear about it fairly quickly, e.g. from their families, from mutual friends.

He was caught last night. Hw wouldn't have contacted his family so quickly if he was in custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Actually meant that an appearance in court on the second offence that a remand was a possibility. Of course depends on the judge etc.

I was in court before when a judge said they were going to remand for a week in jail a second offender to teach them a lesson

Actually meant that an appearance in court on the second offence that a remand was a possibility. Of course depends on the judge etc.

I was in court before when a judge said they were going to remand for a week in jail a second offender to teach them a lesson

That is not allowed. There would be a habeus corpus application before the guy had got half way to jail. A defendant has a presumption of innocence. The judge is not supposed to have regard to previous offences until after sentence. Remand in custody is to ensure a person turns up for trial, not as a punishment.

He was caught last night. Hw wouldn't have contacted his family so quickly if he was in custody.

Telephone?

• Advertisement

Telephone?

The guards take the phone from anyone arrested for drink driving. They will allow a solicitor to be called from the station. The arrested person is out on the loose before family and acquaintances find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hawkeye here

Hi all,

just signed up to this site while searching the web on drink driving offenses cant figure out how to start new thread
    so a few weeks back I made a massive mistake while being highly intoxicated,
    got into a mates car got about a mile and crashed into the side of an innocent persons parked car, cant remember much but done a runner and got caught by Gardaí a few moments later. was arrested and taken to the barracks where I was interviewed, attempted to blow into intoxiliser which was unsuccessful Gardaí wouldn't believe me that I actually was trying to blow in but I suffer from asthma, agreed to provide urine sample after that. so results from urine sample came back today which states the wrong surname on result document. I by no means deserve to get off with this as anybody drink driving deserves to be punished but I am wondering would this be a technicality. depend on my license so much and I am so worried about this as I never ever drove a car while drinking before with this being completely out of character if there are any legal minded people on here I would appreciate your input.

Hi all,

just signed up to this site while searching the web on drink driving offenses cant figure out how to start new thread
    got into a mates car got about a mile and crashed into the side of an innocent persons parked car, cant remember much but done a runner and got caught by Gardaí a few moments later. was arrested and taken to the barracks where I was interviewed, attempted to blow into intoxiliser which was unsuccessful Gardaí wouldn't believe me that I actually was trying to blow in but I suffer from asthma, agreed to provide urine sample after that. so results from urine sample came back today which states the wrong surname on result document. I by no means deserve to get off with this as anybody drink driving deserves to be punished but I am wondering would this be a technicality. depend on my license so much and I am so worried about this as I never ever drove a car while drinking before with this being completely out of character if there are any legal minded people on here I would appreciate your input.

get a solicitor.

Hi all,

Here’s hoping you provided the correct surname when arrested or that’s another charge sheet!

Lmklad wrote: »
    Here’s hoping you provided the correct surname when arrested or that’s another charge sheet!

It won't be a charge sheet unless he was charged in the station. Doesn't happen when there is a urine sample taken. The guards have to wait on the results and then apply for a summons.

It won't be a charge sheet unless he was charged in the station. Doesn't happen when there is a urine sample taken. The guards have to wait on the results and then apply for a summons.

I was charged with drink driving with the correct name on summons. Just urine result the name is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Hi all,

I am going to go ahead and call BS on all of this. Too many troll red flags.

I was charged with drink driving with the correct name on summons. Just urine result the name is wrong

You haven't been charged yet. Just summonsed.

You haven't been charged yet. Just summonsed.

I got a charge sheet from barracks for drink driving stating I must attend court

• Advertisement

I got a charge sheet from barracks for drink driving stating I must attend court

Rubbish. Your last post said you got a summons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement