Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sub 18 5km in 3 weeks...

• 03-04-2018 8:00pm

...would like to run a sub 18 5km this year and see a relatively flat one here in Kerry in 3 weeks. It doesn't have to be done this month, but IMRA championship races will dominate the calendar from May on so will be doing more vertical stuff.

Am doing one weekly session with 2 other runners, can be 4 x 6 minute miles, or 7 or 8 at 6.40, did an 18.22 as part of one training session a few weeks back so not a million miles off. Do hill repeats one evening and a longish trail run at weekends, 20km at conversation pace. Usually get out for 1 other run, parkrun, 10km jog on a local trail etc.

Any suggestions for anything I should do in the next 3 weeks? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

...would like to run a sub 18 5km this year and see a relatively flat one here in Kerry in 3 weeks. It doesn't have to be done this month, but IMRA championship races will dominate the calendar from May on so will be doing more vertical stuff.

Am doing one weekly session with 2 other runners, can be 4 x 6 minute miles, or 7 or 8 at 6.40, did an 18.22 as part of one training session a few weeks back so not a million miles off. Do hill repeats one evening and a longish trail run at weekends, 20km at conversation pace. Usually get out for 1 other run, parkrun, 10km jog on a local trail etc.

Any suggestions for anything I should do in the next 3 weeks? Thanks.

You probably need to concentrate on your endurance 🙈

I'd imagine with your history with the mountains you may need to get some really short sharp stuff in. 200ms, 400ms and especially at least one sess of 10secs hill sprints. Should be no bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why not change your session from 4 6 minute miles to 3 5.40 miles? (5.45?)

Will suggest the 2/400ms and 3 x 5.40 to the others. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

So the weekly sessions that I did that progressed into sub 18 5k were

16x1min@5:45 with 1min recovery
    8x2min @ 5:45 with 90s active recovery
    6x3mins @5:45 with 2min recovery
    6x1k @ 5:45 with 3min recovery
    3x1M @ 5:45 with 3min recovery
    8x 400 @ 5:40 off 1 min

Ran sub 18 first time about a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

rom wrote: »
    So the weekly sessions that I did that progressed into sub 18 5k were

16x1min@5:45 with 1min recovery
    8x2min @ 5:45 with 90s active recovery
    6x3mins @5:45 with 2min recovery
    6x1k @ 5:45 with 3min recovery
    3x1M @ 5:45 with 3min recovery
    8x 400 @ 5:40 off 1 min

Ran sub 18 first time about a week later.
    What was your weekly milage and long runs like? Also did you do other workouts like tempo/cruise/steady runs in the build up or just one workout a week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement