Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry [HBO]

Comments

I need to give this another go with all these glowing reviews. Its not fully resonating with me and I usually love Bill Hader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Really good season. Be interesting to see which way the next season will go
    I was very surprised when Sally changed up the performance on stage. Was expecting either Barry to be OTT or Sally to freeze on stage.

Also, the horse performance was pretty good
    Not actually her, this is not a photo of me, I don’t have any photos of me from my childhood because my uncle burned down my house while my mum was still inside, but that…that is not relevant to this story, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

pedatron wrote: »
    Ah lads that was absolute belter of a show. Some palate cleanser after enduring Game of Thrones each week! NoHo Hank is some absolute gem of a character! So many funny moments. The Slight Spoiler:
    Heroin table
    was my highlight this week!

NoHo Hank is probably the funniest thing about this series - great character brilliantly played! That phonecall was hilarious alright.... :pac: Maybe it's just me, but I felt the last episode was a bit of a letdown. However, after watching the "behind the characters" bit afterwards, I can understand why they went the way they did.

Hope they get rid of Sally though - extremely annoying character that adds nothing to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's brilliant, great to see it back, hopefully Happy will be on soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

BandMember wrote: »
    Hope they get rid of Sally though - extremely annoying character that adds nothing to the show.

Agreed! Otherwise love the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I gave this show a fair few nominations in the awards section ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

vetinari wrote: »
    Really good season. Be interesting to see which way the next season will go
    I was very surprised when Sally changed up the performance on stage. Was expecting either Barry to be OTT or Sally to freeze on stage.

Oh I 100% thought he was
    going to totally snap and really hurt her after she slapped him. Hard to see Barry redeeming himself at all after shooting the place up. Totally unhinged. The smile from the Chechen guy he had trained when he realised it was Barry to just have him shot instantly was a great callback to this. Heartbreak!

https://i.imgur.com/A3ltGvF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I like Sally. Her monologue about Barry getting an audition was pretty epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

She is brilliant at portraying the self centered person that she is and Barry laps it all up.

The whole cast is fantastic. Henry Winkler is giving a great performance as well! The face changing during the flashbacks at the very end was super!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

pedatron wrote: »
    The whole cast is fantastic. Henry Winkler is giving a great performance as well! The face changing during the flashbacks at the very end was super!

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Finished S2 last night. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Best comedy I've seen in years. Though at times you could argue it's more drama with dark comedy thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

My wife and I binged S1 and 2 in the last two weeks.

What a show!

So original and well written and acted.

Looking forward to see what direction they go in S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only half way through season 2 but wow episode 5 is up there with best tv episodes I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Only half way through season 2 but wow episode 5 is up there with best tv episodes I've ever seen

Yes best in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yep, just saw this yesterday, it's a fantastic episode that Hader directed himself. Totally slapstick in parts, it echoes the Marx brothers at their best. The bits with the feral girl are completely nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I enjoyed this. It sounds odd (and it is) but it works. Season 3 is written apparently but filming is on hold because of covid.

athlone573 wrote: »
    I enjoyed this. It sounds odd (and it is) but it works. Season 3 is written apparently but filming is on hold because of covid.

Henry Wrinkler mentioned on Twitter yrsterday that filming for season 3 starts in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone watching season 3? Season 2 feels so long ago I'm struggling to remember half the plot points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

It’s like that line in Shawshank Redemption – “Get rich or die trying.” Unreal Hank 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Renewed for 4th Season

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Just about. I don’t think it’s great this season to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah, they've made the actual character Barry very unlikelable and not in a very good way.

The Fonz is the best thing about this season

Lads Barry is totally unhinged at this stage. I don't see how he comes back from all this for further seasons! It's much more drama than comedy at this stage. Still funny but a lot more serious than I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thought the latest episode was excellent. The chase sequence!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Same, fantastic television and it was brilliantly filmed. I'm loving this series. The text messages he was dictating to Sally, hilarious. Really liking the Fonz arc too.

Super episode of TV. As mentioned above that chase was so well shot. I was waiting for someone to open a door and clean one of the bikers off. Fuches went from being to basically dead to fine in one scene! Hard to see what they are doing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wow Mr. Haider.... tell me how your last Netflix pitch went without telling me how your last Netflix pitch went!

The last two episodes have had some savage commentary about 'the algorithm' and how studios greenlight, market and categorize their product. It makes me wish the series was more like Swimming with Sharks or The Player and they just dropped the whole hitman guff, which is getting a bit tiresome and absurd TBH.

Combining dark comedy and intense drama is a delicate balancing act and the show can be a bit hit and miss in that regard, I find it hard to take the drama 'super seriously' when a character reacts with genuine human emotion in one circumstance and with comedic absurdity the very next minute. It creates a tonal whiplash that doesn't work very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That was an interesting episode Barry drifting in and out of reality Sally verbally attacking Natalie in the lift and it ending up on the Barry universe version of TMZ and funny HoHo Hank getting shot with blow Dart and telling yer man yeah that's what I was thinking you were going to do 😀

Advertisement