Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Will 6N ever grow?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bring back the curtain raiser!

Georgia vs Ireland A followed by
    Ireland vs England

Romania vs France A followed by
    France vs Wales

Spain vs Italy A followed by
    Italy vs Scotland

You couldn’t really televise the games though unless you were to space out the time between the main games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    We can't let every decision be dictated by how much tv revenue will be immediately generated. Call me old fashioned, but if you focus on developing a tournament that matters to as many people as possible, the revenue will follow.
    Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but the TLS was referrring to the idea of Georgian clubs getting into the Pro 14.

That would require money. Even if just to get over the additional cost to clubs having to travel there for matches. Iirc it cost €2 million to add the Italian clubs at the time and there was a lot of difficulty with that in the early days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Bring back the curtain raiser!

Georgia vs Ireland A followed by
    Ireland vs England

Romania vs France A followed by
    France vs Wales

Spain vs Italy A followed by
    Italy vs Scotland

You couldn’t really televise the games though unless you were to space out the time between the main games.

Not a bad idea at all - However it would mean probably stopping the leagues (Pro 14 at least) for the whole 6N window as if Ireland/Wales/Scotland were running Snr and A squads they'd clean out the Pro14 squads completely..

Nothing that impacts the financials is going to be a runner sadly , which is why I think the November series is the most viable pathway..

Guarantee the Tier 2 winners each year 2 games against 6N's sides in the following November series.

The playing window is already allocated , nobody needs to change anything and no competition is impacted to begin with.

If a side like Georgia start to challenge/win a few of those games then the discussions about inclusion in a competitive context can start to be had..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

They have lot of forwards in top14 but more internationals would make a huge difference. issue with tbilisi would be travel for games. its 7.5 hours
    And playing more internationals against better sides of course it will make a difference. Georgia have rarely played many of the 6 nations sides. If they had at least 1 if not 2 games a year against them it would make a huge difference

Don't get me wrong, 5/6 internationals against top quality international teams would be a massive boost for Georgia in terms of profile, and public interest.

I just don't think it makes a huge difference in terms of quality; if you play 6 high-intensity internationals then for the rest of the season you're playing in the Georgian domestic competition. They need pretty much the entire squad playing at a high level every week, not just 6 weeks in Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

prawnsambo wrote: »
    One of the problems with growth is the length of time it would take to complete a tournament with even just one more team in it.

An extra weekend.

There's an interesting article on this very subject in the March edition of the Village magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

feargale wrote: »
    An extra weekend.

There's an interesting article on this very subject in the March edition of the Village magazine.
    An extra weekend would be resisted strenuously by the English clubs who only last year were looking for the tournament to be reduced to five weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

feargale wrote: »
    An extra weekend.

An extra 2 weekends. If there’s 7 teams in it then only 6 can play each week, with 1 having a bye week

So each team has 6 matches and 1 bye week. That’s 7 weekends, up from the current 5 weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

who_me wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, 5/6 internationals against top quality international teams would be a massive boost for Georgia in terms of profile, and public interest.

I just don't think it makes a huge difference in terms of quality; if you play 6 high-intensity internationals then for the rest of the season you're playing in the Georgian domestic competition. They need pretty much the entire squad playing at a high level every week, not just 6 weeks in Spring.
    But their forwards by and large are playing in France and their backs will in time if they get seen more/get chances to play for contracts.
    More internationals would definitely help in quality. More chances to play at higher level means breaking through is easier

Advertisement