Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do around Blarney with children

Options
  • 20-03-2018 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping for some suggestions/advice. My wife and I will be spending a few days with our two children, aged 6 and 4, in the Blarney Hotel Loges during the Easter holidays (cheap Pigsback deal :)). Looking for some suggestions on what to do or where to go, to keep them amused?

Thing is, we've stayed in Midleton twice with them in the past couple of years, so we've already had plenty of things like Fota, Cobh, Leahy's Open Farm and even Cork City. Ideally looking for things to do if we push a little further west this time, instead of doubling back the way we've come (we'll be driving down from Wexford) to go to those places again?

They'll be happy enough around Blarney Castle and Gardens one day, but for other days, anywhere up to about an hour's drive from Blarney? Would rather not have long car trips every day if we could avoid them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Theres grenagh farm very close, dont know how good it is though, never been
    http://visitthefarm.ie

Farran woods has zipit
    https://www.zipit.ie/locations/farran-wood

A good bit further west beyond macroom is the toy soldier factor, my kids enjoyed it. (Bit < an hour)
    https://toysoldierfactory.ie

If weather turns Mahon point cinema do a cheap kids movie sunday morning (12.30?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Thanks Roger.

The Zipit looks like fun but the website says for age 7 upwards, so it won't suit our two.

That farm is definitely a possibility. Might also pop into the toy soldier place if we do head out that direction, but I'd be afraid that our two would just want to tear the place apart to play with everything! They might be just a bit too young for it as well.

But thanks again. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Ballincollig Regional Park (10 minute drive) is gorgeous for a walk and has a great playground. https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186600-d4022980-Reviews-Ballincollig_Regional_Park-Cork_County_Cork.html

Duffryman wrote: »
    Thanks Roger.

The Zipit looks like fun but the website says for age 7 upwards, so it won't suit our two.

That farm is definitely a possibility. Might also pop into the toy soldier place if we do head out that direction, but I'd be afraid that our two would just want to tear the place apart to play with everything! They might be just a bit too young for it as well.

But thanks again. Very helpful.

allow about 1/2 hr for the Toy Soldier thing.
    they pour a mould (4 yr old will have hers done for her) and then they paint it.
    Choice of fairies or soldiers. Its a bit out of the way, but they'll have a nice souvenir
    my 5 yr old girl loved it

as southernbelle suggest the regional park is nice.
    at the side of the wall to the left of the main park is a fairy door walk, the 4 yr old would like it. And a good new playground. Doughnuts for the car!

Thanks to you both. This trip is getting close now. The Park is definitely a runner for at least one of the days. We might try the toy solider thing too, if we end up going that direction, but am not sure it's worth going specifically for. Main hope is just that the weather won't be too bad next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

Might be worth driving north for a bit and checking out the festival in Mallow

http://www.racinghomeforeaster.com/

Hi folks, I've been meaning to come back to this one.

Just to say a massive thanks to anyone who suggest Ballincollig Regional Park here! We ended up spending lots of time there and the kids had an absolute ball. It's one of the best playgrounds we've ever been to and the facility as a whole is a great thing to have in the area too. I'd know I'd make use of it regularly if we had something like it here.

That bridge beside it is an absolute nightmare though. We approached the first time from the 'short side', if you know what I mean. The continuous white line stops short of the bridge and there's no signage or anything to even suggest that two cars can pass (carefully!) on it. So, we ended up causing a big delay while we waited 'patiently' for a gap to appear in oncoming traffic, when it turns out we could have gone ahead anyway.

Has there ever been signage there or what the hell is the story with it? There's a very similar bridge close to where I live myself but it must be just that bit narrower all right, because there's no way two cars would pass each other on it. That Iniscarra bridge looked the same to me when I got to it first.

Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've been meaning to come back to this one.

Just to say a massive thanks to anyone who suggest Ballincollig Regional Park here! We ended up spending lots of time there and the kids had an absolute ball. It's one of the best playgrounds we've ever been to and the facility as a whole is a great thing to have in the area too. I'd know I'd make use of it regularly if we had something like it here.

That bridge beside it is an absolute nightmare though. We approached the first time from the 'short side', if you know what I mean. The continuous white line stops short of the bridge and there's no signage or anything to even suggest that two cars can pass (carefully!) on it. So, we ended up causing a big delay while we waited 'patiently' for a gap to appear in oncoming traffic, when it turns out we could have gone ahead anyway.

Has there ever been signage there or what the hell is the story with it? There's a very similar bridge close to where I live myself but it must be just that bit narrower all right, because there's no way two cars would pass each other on it. That Iniscarra bridge looked the same to me when I got to it first.

its to get traffic lights.
    Some day
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Solution-to-Inniscarra-bridge-traffic-delayed-823c6001-1ac2-4947-a767-69fd8a9fe8b3-ds

Well, that's a real example of the absolute worst of local councils. A simple traffic lights stop/go system would sort it out quickly, even if it was to be just a temporary measure until something else could be done as well, but these guys are opposed to it - because of some issue in the area with other traffic lights before now?

What are they talking about there anyway?

In the meantime, I'd say there are a hell of a lot more visitors than just myself getting confused there, and a hell of a lot of locals getting frustrated....

Advertisement