Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When do you take your car out for the "Summer"

• 14-03-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I have mine garaged and normally plan to take it out around St. Patrick's Day, but this isn't looking very promising weather :(

If you garage yours in the bad months, when do you take it out?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I lock mine up on the 31 December and dust her off on 1st January!

A garage would be a dream, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

When they stop throwing salt on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

gfwd wrote: »
    When they stop throwing salt on the roads!
    I have 2 classic 4x4s and folks wondered why i didnt take them out for a spin in the snow. The salt would be the death of them.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I keep mine inside and generally don't drive them in bad weather, but I'd happily drive them on Christmas day as long as the road was dry.

Getting them wet and then putting them away is a bad plan.

I always go on a New Years Eve Classic Car Run with my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Easter to November

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I drive mine in summertime.........autumn........winter.....and spring.

Thats why I have them, to drive them. It gives me enjoyment,

and others lots of friendly smiles. Thats what owning a classic is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunmoon

I've got a '92 MX5 that thats garaged from October to April.
    Taking it for NCT this Thursday, then once taxed in April it will be used as often as it can be as it's a lovely driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

She done the work commute in early Feb this year (before snow) during dark hours.. that's faith in electrical system right there ! and again last two mornings as it's been dry. ;)

I personally won't take her out if roads are salty or very wet and mucky... higher chance of someone running into you too in bad weather.... just not worth the risk.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My E28 is garaged but I take it out when I've time and the roads are generally dry/decent weather. Used it a couple of times for my work commute a few weeks back when my daily was in getting work done - was fun and I might do it again as the weather improves. I've safe parking in work so at least that worry is taken care of.

Don't know about anyone else's car, but a good spin seems to do mine good. Always ticks over lovely when it's brought on a decent spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Usually run whatever old car I have from April to October. Hibernates in the shed over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 callumco

Same - April to October. Not worth it to try and keep it on the road for the winter months.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

As the minis are taxed for the whole year, they so make appearances over the winter. Once I know it'll be dry and won't drop below zero.

The BMW is declared off from October to April. Can't wait for Sunday so I can fax it again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Soon. I have a new tax disc waiting......

Is that 2yr nct starting in May for all 30+

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I really hope it does, no matter when your NCT was due. :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Will soon find out for my imported 88 hilux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Dades wrote: »

The start date is the 20th May, so it should be interesting to see if anything over '30' back dated to before that date gets the 1 year or the 2 years, I'd say there is more than a few 'holding off'.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Alternative_Cars_Fuels/FAQs%20on%20Vintage%20Vehicles.pdf

hi5 wrote: »
    The start date is the 20th May, so it should be interesting to see if anything over '30' back dated to before that date gets the 1 year or the 2 years, I'd say there is more than a few 'holding off'.
    That is very useful info, thanks. I had my test booked for 6th May, and have just pushed it back until the 20th.

Let's hope it's worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

One of mine turns 40 in January 2020 :D

Advertisement