Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Pad_Lad *ahem*.. Patser got

Options

Comments

haha your poor dad, bless him.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Patser wrote: »
    So I've just pretty much convinced my Dad that the compressor in the front boot is actually a defibrillator that is hooked up to the battery pack in the car, as part of a new EU directive in anticipation of wider EV use (the tyre sealant btw is the gel to stop burns).

But I've also told him there's a serious flaw in that 1 person has to hold the defibrillator in place, and another has to rev the car to deliver the shock.

Don't think he's 100% convinced yet, but he's also amazed at what modern technology can do.

Don't be silly, you can't rev an i3.

The rest of story makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

jhegarty wrote: »
    Don't be silly, you can't rev an i3.

The rest of story makes perfect sense.

He doesn't know that. 1 person has to shout 'clear!' and the other hits the accelerator.

Brought car in for NCT.

Very entertaining, 2 mechanics took 5 minutes to get car going, another few minutes to figure out wipers.

Lots of playing with and laughing at rear doors.

Big search and discussion about engine and finally a fail because of no VIN number on car.

Pointed out VIN number stamped under driver seat, and then it passed.

Lol hilarious !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It is a bit ridiculous that car manufacturers stamp the VIN in so many different places. Just some that come to mind are:

Left side of dashboard behind windscreen.
    Drivers side door jam.
    Under bonnet on firewall.
    Under driver seat.
    Under spare tyre in boot.
    Car frame near screen wash fluid bottle.
    Wheel well.

Some cars have it in a few locations...other, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Brought car in for NCT.

Very entertaining, 2 mechanics took 5 minutes to get car going, another few minutes to figure out wipers.

Lots of playing with and laughing at rear doors.

Big search and discussion about engine and finally a fail because of no VIN number on car.

Pointed out VIN number stamped under driver seat, and then it passed.

Took 3 people with the manual to count the windows when I went in for the VRT.

ELM327 wrote: »

Got speedo recoded to Kmh this morning by local Polish mechanic, who had also Googled this. Seems to be only advice on what to do regards this.

Yep really easy, I posted about this in another thread a while back.

Yep really easy, I posted about this in another thread a while back.

Aye, this thread.

• Advertisement

Lol this thread , thanks. Too many threads to keep track of. :D

So my lovely little i3 has developed an annoying little problem - it won't let go if the charger (home charger mostly but also public ones).

Car unlocks, surround on charger changes colour, but charger stays locked in. Most times relock and unlock car and it frees, but it has slowly gotten worse over last few weeks, til this morning after 5 minutes of trying I had to resort to pulling manual override cord.

Google brings up a few similar problems, but all in America with a different connector head. Took some advice from there anyway and sprayed pin with WD40 as best I could. Anyone any experience or ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

That sounds annoying. Can't say I've experienced anything similar. Presumably there isn't any dirt or debris around the locking mechanism?

I've had issue and think I discovered that if you unlock the car and don't unplug fast enough it locks again.

If you plug it in it goes through some kind of cycle to see if it's connected to charge point and if it's working etc so it pulls some power and after this it releases so I think it goes through this cycle if you don't unplug it quick enough after unlocking. Give it a try.

But I discovered that if you unplug quickly after unlocking it's fine.

Problem has now escalated, it's not accepting any charger. Again I think it's that the pin in now stuck up, possibly after manual release.

I've tried home and granny charger so, issue is with car. It know there's a charger there, but I can't hear pin mechanism engage and it refuses to charge (orange lights then red). Bugger.

Problem has now escalated, it's not accepting any charger. Again I think it's that the pin in now stuck up, possibly after manual up release.

I've tried home and granny charger so, issue is with car. It know there's a charger there, but I can't hear pin mechanism engage and it refuses to charge (orange lights then red). Bugger.

Check it's not the evse , I had similar issue with the ABL unit, I can only use the 3 phase cable in it and at that I have to hold it downward until the car charger kicks in and the evse locks the cable once its locked at the evse it's fine but just can't use the blue lead with the abl unit now.

Check it's not the evse , I had similar issue with the ABL unit, I can only use the 3 phase cable in it and at that I have to hold it downward until the car charger kicks in and the evse locks the cable once its locked at the evse it's fine but just can't use the blue lead with the abl unit now.

Nope tried a few things, and have just had a decent chat with a BMW technician through the cars system - he talked me through a few methods, but end result is pin mechanism sounds shagged and I've to go to a dealer.

Strange well hope you get it sorted.

Strange well hope you get it sorted.

Fecking car is worse than a contrary cat - I gave up and walked off, then heard familiar thunk of connectors in wall pod and sure enough its charging happily away.

Fecking car is worse than a contrary cat - I gave up and walked off, then heard familiar thunk of connectors in wall pod and sure enough its charging happily away.

So its intermittent?

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

So its intermittent?

Charger release has been intermittent and worsening over last month, not charging was a new thing

1. Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Charger release has been intermittent and worsening over last month, not charging was a new thing

You have a different charge point than the ABL then by the sounds of it ?

Why do you think it charged all of a sudden now ?

Could be EVSE related ?

2. Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Does the i3 have a 12v battery? If the contactors dont connect quick enough, the pins might "weld" themselves together. Just thinking out loud though.

3. Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

I really do think it's the drop down lock pin, that seems to have developed a mind of it's own. I had thought it was stuck, jammed up but then on it's own it started to pop down as if doing a reset.

I went back out to car after an hour, and its behaving perfectly again, unlocking instantly, charging immediately.

So new dilemma is do I bring it to dealer, with no fault on display and have to pay for diagnostics and repair - or hope it was all a glitch and that I don't find myself stranded another day.

4. Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I really do think it's the drop down lock pin, that seems to have developed a mind of it's own. I had thought it was stuck, jammed up but then on it's own it started to pop down as if doing a reset.

Quick google suggests its a common problem in early models.

I'd say go to the dealer and suck it up. Its unlikely to never do it again as you have said its getting progressively worse and its going to have you stranded somewhere someday and then you'll be sorry you didnt get it sorted.

5. Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A bad 12 volt can cause strange issues like this on the i3.

6. Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jhegarty wrote: »
        A bad 12 volt can cause strange issues like this on the i3.

On all cars. I'd nearly go so far as to say cars should have their lead acid batteries replaced as part of every other service.

7. Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

Maybe something to look into - at the moment she's operating perfectly, plugged and unplugged it a couple of times last night and today and no hitch at all.

Going to leave dealer trip til I've time off

8. Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dunno about the i3 but Ioniq has a very low capacity lead acid 12V battery. And if you play with the toys in the car while the car is not switched on, the aux battery is draining very quickly. This leads to similar electrical issues as you have. Measure battery voltage while the car is switched off with a cheap multimeter now all is well. I betya it will be near enough 13V. Then wait till the problem returns and then measure again. I bet it will be much closer to 12V (which means incidentally means pretty much completely empty)

9. Advertisement
      10. Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

Happy Christmas to me. Family got me this, my frunk is now useable

20191225-105457.jpg

Advertisement