Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Killeagh/Ballymacoda

Options
  • 03-03-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

We are considering this area to move to. We live in Cork city at the moment, but want to raise our very small children in a rural setting. Anyone have any comments on this area. Good or bad. With the proposed road works on the dubkettle are we mad to consider it. My husband works near city gate/Mahon point so he would have to take on the dunkettle and tunnel 3 out of five weekdays. He wouldn’t be traveling at rush hour most days. I won’t be commuting to the city, so no worries there. What are the secondary school options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi,

We are considering this area to move to. We live in Cork city at the moment, but want to raise our very small children in a rural setting. Anyone have any comments on this area. Good or bad. With the proposed road works on the dubkettle are we mad to consider it. My husband works near city gate/Mahon point so he would have to take on the dunkettle and tunnel 3 out of five weekdays. He wouldn’t be traveling at rush hour most days. I won’t be commuting to the city, so no worries there. What are the secondary school options?

I travel the tunnel five days a week. I've no idea how bad it will be with the upgrade but non rush hour is fine. I can get from Killeagh to Bishopstown in half an hour when I start work at noon. The mornings and evenings can be a pain especially if there is an accident.

Youghal and Midleton are your secondary school options. More choice in Midleton.

It's a lovely part of the country. I moved there about twenty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey, we live in Castlemartyr, so the next village up. Now that the roadworks are done, Killeagh is looking lovely and seems like a nice village. You're close to a lot of nice things in East Cork and Waterford. We've a little girl (so far) and we love the lifestyle out here.

Regarding Dunkettle. Yes, there's going to be short term pain (a year or two... maybe I'm optimistic) as they are doing the major works but longer term view is that East Cork is going to be much more accessible and may get a boost from the new interchange. There will be negative knock-on affects though, most likely at Midleton roundabout, as the free flowing traffic will just hit new bottlenecks.

As it currently stands, it's not the worst but it's not a particularly pleasant commute (I go past Mahon myself) and if there's an accident it's miserable. If he's avoid peak times though (as you mention) that will certainly help. I'm able to work flexi-time and have found that leaving Castlemartyr between 7:30 and 9:00 will generally have me hitting heavy traffic (either at Midleton or tunnel... or both). Either side of that time is much quieter. He probably knows better himself already what times to be getting out of Mahon to avoid traffic.

Advertisement