Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toboggan spots - near Stillorgan

Options
  • 26-02-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Anyone recommend a good toboggan spot near Stillorgan/Blackrock in Dublin? Prefer not to drive too far up mountains as car wouldn’t be up to it. Remember going up beyond Pine Forest as a kid.
    Getting prepared in hope for later in week.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

me a mom wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good toboggan spot near Stillorgan/Blackrock in Dublin? Prefer not to drive too far up mountains as car wouldn’t be up to it. Remember going up beyond Pine Forest as a kid.
    Getting prepared in hope for later in week.
    Thanks

Cabinteely Park - some great slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

lawred2 wrote: »
    Cabinteely Park - some great slopes.

If you're going to this park via the entrance by the girls primary school, pleeeeeease be careful coming up cornelscourt hill or the hill in the estate by the row of shops, I live along there and I saw so many cars in 2010 stop at the top of the hill and then slide back down when trying to take off again!

But otherwise yeah, great slope beside the playground there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Deer Park in mount merrion could be an option if your close by.
    I used to sledge there as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    If you're going to this park via the entrance by the girls primary school, pleeeeeease be careful coming up cornelscourt hill or the hill in the estate by the row of shops, I live along there and I saw so many cars in 2010 stop at the top of the hill and then slide back down when trying to take off again!

But otherwise yeah, great slope beside the playground there!

I no longer live around that neck of the woods - Portmarnock based now but good advice for anyone heading that way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dalkey/Killiney hill might be a bit of crack as well, im trying to picture it now but Deerpark might have some minor slopes, nothing spectacular but easy to get to

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 me a mom

Cabinteely a good shot would park down at main entrance and walk up! Good shout! Deerpark live just beside it but can’t picture any good hills? Snow better come now. Can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 me a mom

gabeeg wrote: »
    There's a perfect hill for sledding in Sandyford.
    Might be within walking distance

Thanks for that is that where Total Fitness was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's a perfect hill for sledding in Sandyford.
    Might be within walking distance

Thanks for that is that where Total Fitness was?

Exactly.

I moved there recently, so can't be sure, but I have a hunch it is going to be flocked with happy kids in the coming days.

Hope you have a blast

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Exactly.

I moved there recently, so can't be sure, but I have a hunch it is going to be flocked with happy kids in the coming days.

Hope you have a blast

There will be a lot of happy people on our hills then ........ But I would suggest people walk up and leave their cars at home as they won’t be able to get in and out of our estate 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cabinteely a good shot would park down at main entrance and walk up! Good shout! Deerpark live just beside it but can’t picture any good hills? Snow better come now. Can’t wait!

You are right, Mount Anville Road has a decent incline but Deerpark is closer to the top.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Blackrock Park at the Booterstown end towards the water. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Trees Road!

No, really don't. Have fun but be careful out there, I remember a teenage girl losing her life on an improvised toboggan during the 2010 snow, make sure theres a long flat run-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yeah Deerpark only has some small inclines, good for younger kids but there are better places around for bigger kids and adults, I did see sleds for sale in McGuire's shop beside it though!

That hill up in Sandyford is very good too, it's a proper incline. Other than that killiney Hill or maybe Marley Park.
    Nice not having to Trek up the Dublin mountains for once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Yeah Deerpark only has some small inclines, good for younger kids but there are better places around for bigger kids and adults, I did see sleds for sale in McGuire's shop beside it though!

That hill up in Sandyford is very good too, it's a proper incline. Other than that killiney Hill or maybe Marley Park.
    Nice not having to Trek up the Dublin mountains for once ;)

If the tennis club in deer park were so kind as to water the path down towards the playground, it'd be a pretty decent run though. As it stands there's probably too much tree cover to get snow under it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Anyone know where to purchase one at extremely short notice in Dublin City Centre? Will they be gone the way of the milk and bread by now??

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

JiffyJ wrote: »
    Anyone know where to purchase one at extremely short notice in Dublin City Centre? Will they be gone the way of the milk and bread by now??

numbers-on-fertiliser-bag-199x300.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who knows it might inspire future luge athletes in the making maybe?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

JiffyJ wrote: »

I've seen Applegreen advertising sleds for sale on Facebook today 2 for €5
    https://www.facebook.com/goapplegreen/photos/a.455437558486.238863.110577673486/10156334278668487/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Bawalley park on the sandyford road is top notch for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a decent small hill in Milltown near the south bank of the Dodder. Steepness OK for kids. A few minutes from the Milltown LUAS if that's running, just across the Dodder footbridge:

443052.png

edit: found some photographs (not mine) from the last time it snowed there: link.

milltown-ski-slope_dublin.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Went past that slope on the way home from work this evening ... it was wrecked, it looked like half of South Dublin had taken turns sliding down it. I guess the schools were out today? It was in dire need of fresh snow, hopefully it'll get a top-up tonight.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement