Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Cork with family?

Options
  • 23-02-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey Guys,

I don’t know if I’m in the right topic or no,but I need your help.
    I have been offered a job in Cork. The salary is €35.000 gross +€2000 relocation package.I am thinking of relocating with my family(Husband and two kids,18 and 5 years old).
    What do you guys think? Will we be able to make ends meet? Of course my husband would also get a job so the salary would be almost double.

Cheers
    roli031399

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Cork rents are very high and house prices are also very high, so consider that when considering the relocation. The city itself isn’t too bad, not too big or too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Roli031399

Probably we would rent an apartment outside the city centre. I’ve found apartments for €800-€1000.

Where are you moving from op? That could have a big baring on whether you like Cork or not.

From another European country.

I’m just wondering if the salary would be enough for the basic needs for a family of four.

• Advertisement

God no you would be mad to relocate from another country to Cork. It’s too expensive and basic compared to many places. There are better places to relocate to, with more money on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

On 35k you will have assuming your partner doesn't work about 620euro a week take home, rent of 800 to 1000 a month. I wouldn't make the move rent is too high and cost of living is ridiculous.

We live in Hungary. It would be a starting point for us.I am also very curious what do you guys think, how much salary would be enough for a family per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Roli031399 wrote: »
    We live in Hungary. It would be a starting point for us.I am also very curious what do you guys think, how much salary would be enough for a family per month.

Families are happily living on far less than 35k a year.I think you and your family should give it a go.There are many Hungarians already living here so you won’t feel too lost.County Cork is the nicest place in Ireland I think anyway.

Give it a go.Nothing to lose,everything to gain.All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would honestly question where you’re seeing apartments for 800-1000, they’re eother incredibly basic or very far out of the city. You would then possibly need a car which adds a lot of expense and the hassle of commuting and parking etc. I live in a village about 45km from the city, I have to leave the house 90 mins before work to be on time. I have to drive as public transport round here is hopeless. Even where I live there isn’t much to rent for the money you’re talking. I’m lucky that my work has parking, because parking in the city is expensive and hard to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Have a look in the Cork city forum. People are regularly asking for advice about moving to Cork there. Or better yet, have a look here:Moving to Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Perhaps your partner should also secure a job before you all move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP, could you post the area your company would be? Then people could advise on areas that would be the best the live based on that. This will then dictate what kind of rent you would be looking at. Also, will you have a car or be relying on public transport? And will your 18 year old be going to school?

zetalambda wrote: »
    Have a look in the Cork city forum. People are regularly asking for advice about moving to Cork there. Or better yet, have a look here:Moving to Cork

Do people actually read before they post.She does not want to live in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

Your English is obviously pretty good, judging from your posts. Do your husband and 18yo speak fluent English? It's not too easy anymore to pick up work without it.
    35k is a decent wage, but if your husband and older child aren't working, you will see it drain very quickly. You will also probably need a 3 bed house/apartment and there's not many of them about for €800pm, more choice at €1000pm but there still won't be a huge amount of options.
    Where in cork is the job?

bee06 wrote: »
    OP, could you post the area your company would be? Then people could advise on areas that would be the best the live based on that. This will then dictate what kind of rent you would be looking at. Also, will you have a car or be relying on public transport? And will your 18 year old be going to school?

The company is located in "Little Island, Eastgate Business Park", initially we will be relying on public transport, but later we would switch. My 18 years old would attend University from 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The company is located in "Little Island, Eastgate Business Park", initially we will be relying on public transport, but later we would switch. My 18 years old would attend University from 2019.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can just sign up to 3rd level here without some prior arrangements (unless they are planning on doing the leaving certificate)

You'd be looking at Midleton, Cobh or Carrigtwohill if you wanted to use public transport.

Do people actually read before they post.She does not want to live in the city.

Alopogeis, m'I dylseixc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I’m just wondering if the salary would be enough for the basic needs for a family of four.

For that sort of money. No.

I was thinking the OP could get a better idea of living costs by looking at the earlier threads about moving to Cork. No need to get your knickers in a twist. ;)

• Advertisement

Carrigtwohill is only about 5 minutes drive from Little Island and is on bus and rail route.Here is a look at some properties and prices.
    People are gone very greedy in Ireland in the last year with rent prices starting to soar with the economy recovering.Things were bad from 2008 to 2015.You could have found a nice house to rent in 2015 for about €800.lf your husband is in the construction sector there are a lot of big construction projects now starting.

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/cork/carrigtwohill/

Would you or your husband be able to get a job in the Middle East, somewhere like Dubai? The pay would be much better there.

Advertisement