Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish naturalisation residency - [Non-EU]

Options
  • 12-02-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I would like to get some clarification on the Irish naturalisation process for a non-EU citizen, in that, from the official INIS website the legal residence:

"This includes 1 year of continuous residence immediately before the date you apply.
    You can do this by showing your immigration permission stamps."

I've no gaps in my immigration stamps but I've seen something like a '6 week absence' rule/clause on other sites which isn't clear to me; I've been away for around 6-7 weeks in a year but not at a stretch ie. 1 week almost every 2 months or so.

Should I manage to finish 5 years continuous residency via immigration stamps but being away on holidays as mentioned above, would it be a problem applying for naturalisation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 baishakh

this should not be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Manas S

Hi,

I would like to know more about the "6 Week Rule" with regards to the Irish naturalisation process as a non-EU citizen.

If I have spent around 9 weeks out side the country during one of my 4 years, before the "1 continuous residence year", then will that affect the consideration of that particular year for the naturalisation process? (Will it be still counted?)

And all the 9 weeks have been holidays, except 5 weeks were paid leaves and split across the entire year and other 4 weeks were unpaid leaves at a stretch.

Any information in this regard will be very helpful and really appreciated.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

There is some piece of news I've seen on this in today's indo - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/unworkable-irish-citizenship-finding-overturned-by-court-of-appeal-38692611.html
    - other than that, I would be waiting for other ppl more informed than me on legal staff to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Form 8 requires you to explain any absences from Ireland of more than six weeks in any of the previous five years:
    5.6 Tick the appropriate box. If you were absent from the State for more than 6 weeks in any
    of the previous 5 years provide details of all absences on a separate sheet and include it
    with your application

Spending nine weeks away in a year isn't necessarily disqualifying, but it will definitely be a factor that will be weighed by the Minister when considering your application. Paid or unpaid leave from work doesn't really matter, but they will be wanting to know why you felt the need to spend so much time outside of the country that year, so make sure you provide a detailed explanation of your travels and the reasons for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

There should be new legislation going through soon that will specify the limits more clearly. Right now, there is a hold on all citizenship applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

The Court of Appeal yesterday overturned the July High Court ruling that asserted that applicants for cizenship by naturalisation cannot set foot outside the state in the calendar year prior to application. (Link to Irish Times article)

Minister Flanagan has welcomed the Appeal Court ruling and has said that application processing is ongoing, and that he intends to restart holding citizenship-conferring ceremonies soon. (Link to statement)

I myself have recently received notification that my own application has proceeded to the next stage, though I understand that this could still take another six months or more.

For up to date information & discussion of particular cases, immigrationboards.com/ireland is a very useful site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Can a deportation order be revoked after 5 years ? I did hear it was known as the 5 year rule which does not exist .

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/14a_ireland_rejectedasylum_final_en.pdfhttps://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/14a_ireland_rejectedasylum_final_en.pdf

Search revoked .

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/WG_Report_2nd_Progress_Table_2017.pdf/Files/WG_Report_2nd_Progress_Table_2017.pdf
    Leave to remain is granted after 5 years

This thread has stalled for now with lack of any new info on NG or remittances.The ban baiters are in .

Advertisement