Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Cork for Cheltenham......

Options
  • 11-02-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so I have a wedding in Barnabrow Country House on St.Patrick's Day, and as my OH is part of the bridal party I have to be down there a couple of days in advance (her family wedding). I have since learned that the venue itself promotes solitude and shutting-off electrical appliances etc., and doesn't have a proper bar except for when hosting special occasions.

Anyway, I was just looking for recommendations as to the best place to watch Cheltenham, particularly on Gold Cup day on the Friday? I know Cloyne and Castlemartyr are two of the bigger towns nearest to Barnabrow, but I don't mind organising transport for myself if there is somewhere that's a bit of craic a bit further afield.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Okay so I have a wedding in Barnabrow Country House on St.Patrick's Day, and as my OH is part of the bridal party I have to be down there a couple of days in advance (her family wedding). I have since learned that the venue itself promotes solitude and shutting-off electrical appliances etc., and doesn't have a proper bar except for when hosting special occasions.

Anyway, I was just looking for recommendations as to the best place to watch Cheltenham, particularly on Gold Cup day on the Friday? I know Cloyne and Castlemartyr are two of the bigger towns nearest to Barnabrow, but I don't mind organising transport for myself if there is somewhere that's a bit of craic a bit further afield.

Thanks in advance.

They usually have a TV on in the upstairs part of the "bar/reception" for GAA/RBS... they may stick it on for Cheltenham... on the wedding day that is. As for somewhere else nearby... yeah Castlemartyr is only a short drive away (it's a village though, not a town). Cloyne would be bigger though. Garryvoe hotel (nice spot) might have it on it the hotel bar? Middleton is the "big town" in the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bacchus wrote: »
    They usually have a TV on in the upstairs part of the "bar/reception" for GAA/RBS... they may stick it on for Cheltenham... on the wedding day that is. As for somewhere else nearby... yeah Castlemartyr is only a short drive away (it's a village though, not a town). Cloyne would be bigger though. Garryvoe hotel (nice spot) might have it on it the hotel bar? Middleton is the "big town" in the area though.

Thanks for that. And would Middleton be worth venturing to for the day? Would be looking for a bookies to go with a lively pub. Or would Cloyne fulfill that criteria? I just realised I am fussy when it comes to breaks away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thanks for that. And would Middleton be worth venturing to for the day? Would be looking for a bookies to go with a lively pub. Or would Cloyne fulfill that criteria? I just realised I am fussy when it comes to breaks away :D

Midleton be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Midleton be a better bet.

It would, but Harty's in Cloyne is a fine, friendly, comfy place with good grub and beer. Great horsey country around there, no shortage of locals creating a bit of atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Would he have a bookies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Would he have a bookies?

There's a Paddy Power there IIRC. It's only about 40 minutes on the underground from Harty's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thanks for the advice fellas. Google street view has made my decision for me- Midleton it is :D

Advertisement