Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women's Six Nations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I feel like i should know this but is there a citing commissioner for these games?? how ever the Welsh hooker got away with the eye contact to the face I'll never know.

The fact that the reg watched it back tmo twice and then served no infractions was bizarre

• Subscribers Posts: 40,952 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Too precious imho. Rugby players (male and female) should be well able deal with a bit of slagging.

Calling her a heifer isn't "vile abuse" imho.

insulting a player from the sidelines is NEVER acceptable... its not slagging, its abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The fact that the reg watched it back tmo twice and then served no infractions was bizarre

Probably reluctant to send off Lyndsey Peat which she would probably have had to do if sanctioning the Welsh girl.

Although in my view Peat did little more than drag the Welsh girl off her team-mates, I thought the commentators criticizing her for her part in the incident were pretty harsh on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Too precious imho. Rugby players (male and female) should be well able deal with a bit of slagging.

Someone in the safety of the stands doing that? Yeah that's abuse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've been to a fair few rugby matches and compared to some of the stuff I've heard over many years someone calling a "heifer" is fairly low end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've been to a fair few rugby matches and compared to some of the stuff I've heard over many years someone calling a "heifer" is fairly low end.

Ye olde 'I've heard a lot worse' argument.

(i) It doesnt make it right.
    (ii) She shouldnt have to put up with it, particularly at home matches (and by the sounds of it from the home crowd).
    (iii) She is absolutely right that this is a family environment. I don't bring my kids to league of Ireland games because of all the foul language. Croke Park and the Aviva aren't much better. Women's rugby is a genuine family environment where you can bring the kids, it doesn't cost a small fortune and you can get access to the players for photos or autographs. I would definitely bring kids to the women's team rather than the men's given a choice; and I certainly wouldn't want them to be listening to that.

She needs to toughen up? Does she? Front row for Ireland .....and you think she needs to toughen up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not precious at all. That isnt slagging
    Why should anyone have to put up with it. There has been a lot worse said at games but that doesnt excuse it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sorry but I can't really thank the above post by Tombo enough.
    Coward from the stands shouting abuse from the safety of numbers.
    I'd bet a serious amount of money he wouldn't do it to her face.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ye olde 'I've heard a lot worse' argument.

(i) It doesnt make it right.
    (ii) She shouldnt have to put up with it, particularly at home matches (and by the sounds of it from the home crowd).
    (iii) She is absolutely right that this is a family environment. I don't bring my kids to league of Ireland games because of all the foul language. Croke Park and the Aviva aren't much better. Women's rugby is a genuine family environment where you can bring the kids, it doesn't cost a small fortune and you can get access to the players for photos or autographs. I would definitely bring kids to the women's team rather than the men's given a choice; and I certainly wouldn't want them to be listening to that.

She needs to toughen up? Does she? Front row for Ireland .....and you think she needs to toughen up?

Yes I've heard a lot worse. What was said was offensive, but not vile.

To answer your points:-

1/. Agreed. I didn't suggest it was.
    2/. She's an elite athlete representing her country. Her opponents should be much more important than a heckler. Who suggested it was a home crowd heckler btw?
    3/. It's rugby - a rough tough full contact physical sport. In this instance played by women. I've been to a few ladies games and it's no more family orientated than any other form of the game.

I didn't say she needed to "toughen up". Stop saying I did please.

What she might be better advised to do is channel her outrage into dominating her opponents rather than taking it to social media.

I played loads of rugby and was called all sorts - including the c bomb. Now that's a truly vile term. Didn't bother me one bit however.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,952 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2/. She's an elite athlete representing her country. Her opponents should be much more important than a heckler. Who suggested it was a home crowd heckler btw?
    3/. It's rugby - a rough tough full contact physical sport. In this instance played by women. I've been to a few ladies games and it's no more family orientated than any other form of the game.

What she might be better advised to do is channel her outrage into dominating her opponents rather than taking it to social media.

I played loads of rugby and was called all sorts - including the c bomb. Now that's a truly vile term. Didn't bother me one bit however.

you are completely in the wrong here.

First up, you musnt have watched the game game because she DID completely dominate her opponents, and scored a mauling try for good measure.

Secondly, the womens game is a burgeoning area in rugby which attracts lots of families and young girls. If they hear some idiot man in the crowd abusing on field players by shouting vile comments about their appearance (and vile is completely the right word to use here) then how do you think they would feel about taking up the game?

I was at a junior mens game last year where a racial comment was made about one of the players and there was outrage at it.... very close to kicking off into an all out brawl. This kind of comment from the side line is cowardly and should never be accepted, and if you heard comments similar when your in the crowd and you did nothing, then shame on you too. If its said on the pitch then at least the abused player has an opportunity to 'set it straight'.

she was dead right to call it out for what it is on social media, as her family and other young people were within ear shot and shes very correct to call it out and say that its not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Her parents. Who were sitting 3 seats away from a “fan” in an Ireland jersey commenting on how much of a heifer she is.

I know Leah very well. I know her parents very well. I sat with them for a while at the match the other day. They don’t need to hear that about their daughter.

Forgetting the fact that she is a rugby player. She is a person first and foremost, and nobody deserves to be spoken of negatively like that. Particularly when after putting in such an amazing shift on the pitch.

Best I can do is agree to disagree on this. A thicker skin is needed in high end competitive sport. People get offended far too readily also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Best I can do is agree to disagree on this. A thicker skin is needed in high end competitive sport. People get offended far too readily also.

That’s fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/leah-theres-no-one-size-or-shape-for-rugby-467715.html

Where she discusses how people have spoken to her about her weight and her targets for losing weight. When it’s done in a constructive manner, it’s grand. When it’s someone shouting it from the stands, it’s another story.

Posted this in the general rugby tab as it's not related to women's rugby, but tolerating the behaviour directed towards the women's team players is the first step to this becoming the norm:

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/969114269064232965

Mairead Coyne out of rest of 6Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Can't find a match thread for match today. Anyone heading down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Eod100 wrote: »
    Can't find a match thread for match today. Anyone heading down?

Me and mine are yes; can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A hooker taking a conversion for Scotland and making a fine kick. They deserve to win it after that try. Ireland so many chances but can't hold onto it through the phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not over yet but time against us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Taken a serious dip in quality this year, hard to watch this rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tackle fine but Ireland knocked that on. Very very poor to lose this if they do or even be close to Scotland. Scotland not as bad as they used to be but they're still not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

So many unforced errors, the game was there to be won. Very disappointing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Really poor match. Briggs and Hughes have been poor so far in the 6 nations. Cronin should be starting 9 has a lot more pace and a better pass. I dunno what the other 10s are like but Briggs isn't working. Backline seem to do the same thing over and over almost as if they're not realising why or how the good stuff works, because they are just shipping it across the line otherwise.

The pack are great really well drilled, great scrum, and Claire Molloy is one of the best 7s playing. Not kicking today looking to attack their lineout band force knock-ons to let the pack get to work was start getting especially in the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Was quite disappointed with the standard of skills on show generally; a lot of dropped balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Was quite disappointed with the standard of skills on show generally; a lot of dropped balls.
    I know they are a really dedicated group but the skill level today was awful and there was a lot of headless chicken stuff. The ref didn't help - there should have been a second penalty try and he ignored a perfectly clear grounding - but they really (and literally) threw it away.

Anyone watching English game?
    Losing 33-11 with 10 to go. Have only watched bits and pieces because of a work meeting.
    Theyre doing ok considering how good this english side are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Anyone watching English game?
    Losing 33-11 with 10 to go. Have only watched bits and pieces because of a work meeting.
    Theyre doing ok considering how good this english side are
    They've squandered some good chances with headless stuff. Not protecting the ball at ruck time, handling errors and just plain panic at times.

They really are better than the score line, but have to bring a lot more accuracy. I had to stop watching because of the detrimental affect on my blood pressure. :(

Game finished 33-11.

Advertisement