Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Match Thread: Scotland V France | Sunday 15:00 11 Feb | Murrayfield | TV3 BBC FR2

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is a bit mental

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well this is fun :). What an angle by Jones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

id be fuming if i was france there. laidlaw knocked on and they got no advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

id be fuming if i was france there. laidlaw knocked on and they got no advantage.

They kicked the ball 50m down field and didnt chase it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

France left a massive gap there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Why didn't France tackle like this last week? It's not fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    They kicked the ball 50m down field and didnt chase it

hence no advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Very Southern Hemisphere all this.

hence no advantage

But if you kick the ball its advantage over. Common part of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Finn Russell isn't good enough. The commentator said the wind caught the kick and sent it dead but Russell has made a habit of kicking pens dead when going for the line. I don't doubt he has great ability but every play needs to be the big one for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

For all their faults and flaws Scotland have done a fine job of showing up the lack of effectiveness in our attacking game in the first 30 minutes here. We made that French defence look like world beaters. Scotlsnd showing it up to be very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    But if you kick the ball its advantage over. Common part of the game

Why do teams often chip ahead or do a crossfield pass as soon as they get advantage then? I've often seen that done and if that doesn't come off they come back for the penalty/scrum.

For all their faults and flaws Scotland have done a fine job of showing up the lack of effectiveness in our attacking game in the first 30 minutes here. We made that French defence look like world beaters. Scotlsnd showing it up to be very poor.

It was pissing rain last week. France didnt play like this with ball in hand last week either

Clegg wrote: »
    Finn Russell isn't good enough. The commentator said the wind caught the kick and sent it dead but Russell has made a habit of kicking pens dead when going for the line. I don't doubt he has great ability but every play needs to be the big one for him.

Scotland have no other 10 that is remotely close to international standard.

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Why do teams often chip ahead or do a crossfield pass as soon as they get advantage then? I've often seen that done and if that doesn't come off they come back for the penalty/scrum.

There is a difference between penalty advantage and a knock on advantage

I was wondering if we'd see a post like the above. At the start of the game when conditions were better Ireland attacked ball in hand and made a lot of metres. It was an incisive move that used forwards and backs and it stretched the French all over the pitch. It started lashing rain not long after that and any chance of expansive attacking moves stopped there. Ireland played to the conditions. When it was dry they attacked and looked decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

French win best result for us? Keeps them interested when playing England

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭OldRio

Defence optional for both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oh dear. Yeah both games played in the same conditions. ;)

Synode wrote: »

Yeah they have Italy next too in Paris. A win there (and if they win today) and they have a sniff of the title

• Advertisement

Yeah they have Italy next too in Paris. A win there (and if they win today) and they have a sniff of the title

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I would say so. As you said keeps them interested with England and Wales still to play for them. If they keep on getting better game after game all good for us. Just don't be scoring many bonus points in case we don't win all our games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah France win to keep them tuned in. Scotland will be up for England regardless of the state of play

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Stuart Hogg getting a bit of a pass I think. Awful effort for the first try and didn't step into the line quick enough for the second try. He's also not making much yardage with ball in hand. Huw Jones and Tommy Seymour have been Scotland's best backs for the past couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Stuart Hogg getting a bit of a pass I think. Awful effort for the first try and didn't step into the line quick enough for the second try. He's also not making much yardage with ball in hand. Huw Jones and Tommy Seymour have been Scotland's best backs for the past couple of years now.
    Hogg has been outstanding for Glasgow the past few season but has done feck all in the 6 nations so far

OldRio wrote: »
    Oh dear. Yeah both games played in the same conditions. ;)

Ya, funnily enough I noticed it was raining last Saturday. :rolleyes:

Doesn't excuse our complete lack of gameplan in the opposition 22 beyond one out passes to crash ball forwards. It'll be excused due to the weather, the French raising their game against us or whatever the latest fanboy excuse is for our poor attacking play until it costs us dearly in a big game. Some of the spaces Scotland are finding today have little to do with the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Stuart Hogg was Six Nations player of the tournament in 2016 and 2017

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

hence no advantage

It was only a scrum advantage. If you kick away a scrum advantage then it's called over.

It's completely different if it's a penalty advantage.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Akrasia wrote: »
    Hogg has been outstanding for Glasgow the past few season but has done feck all in the 6 nations so far

He was player of the year for the Six Nations for the last two years...

• Advertisement

And Russell misses touch from a pen again.

Advertisement