Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watching 3D Movies on Big Screen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

A question, if I may please. I have a Note 5. Is it worth buying a VR headset for it? I'm not into gaming much, but is it worth getting for movies or documentaries - if such things exist for the Note 5?

Definitely worth it, you could get the Gear VR headset which is compatible with the Note 5.

Haven’t tried the Gear VR, only Google Cardboard but the Gear VR should be quite an upgrade on comfort and lens quality.

The Oculus Cinema app looks like class for watching your 2D or 3D documentaries and movies:

I think Netflix is supported by Gear VR also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Doge wrote: »
    Definitely worth it, you could get the Gear VR headset which is compatible with the Note 5.

Haven’t tried the Gear VR, only Google Cardboard but the Gear VR should be quite an upgrade on comfort and lens quality.

The Oculus Cinema app looks like class for watching your 2D or 3D documentaries and movies:

I think Netflix is supported by Gear VR also.

Excellent, I'll give it a shot. Yeah the cinema looks the business! Looks like Gear is compatible with the Note 8 if I trade up too. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Excellent, I'll give it a shot. Yeah the cinema looks the business! Looks like Gear is compatible with the Note 8 if I trade up too. Thanks for the info!

Note that the GearVR for the Note 5 will not work on a Note 8 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Calibos wrote: »
    Note that the GearVR for the Note 5 will not work on a Note 8 afaik.

Thanks for the heads up, but according to Harvey Norman's site it will? Unless Harvey has it wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GearVR with compatiable Samsung phone is A1. For movies, it's actually better than the Oculus Rift due to the screen quality. The Netflix app is awesome as well. With 2nd hand Gear VR as cheap as they are, it's a no brainer. I had an S6 with GearVR and I used it a bit for Netflix and movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Do you reckon it would be worth setting up a whatsapp group to get instant updates on the next 3d Movie, Documentary etc night?

pcuser wrote: »
    Do you reckon it would be worth setting up a whatsapp group to get instant updates on the next 3d Movie, Documentary etc night?

I’m not sure how people on here would feel about having their mobile numbers visible but it’s a neat idea. Maybe we could use another app like discord or something?

So my Dell order came today and turns out it’s just some software on a dvd disc despite it saying a DVD-RW/BD-ROM Combo Drive! Bleh!

Told them it was blatant false advertising and I’m hoping to get a drive from them but they’ll probably just refund me.

I did order a Slimline Sata to USB cable from amazon along with those 2 Blu-ray so maybe I should just go ahead and buy an internal Blu-ray Drive for a laptop.

What would be the best night to host another BigScreen session anyway dudes?

Either Friday or a Sunday?
    I think Sunday might be better as people wouldn’t have much else on?

First 3D Blu-ray arrived today, The Hobbit Trilogy in 3D, comes with 12 discs!

440876.JPG

Only €14.98 delivered from Zavvi. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

First 3D Blu-ray arrived today, The Hobbit Trilogy in 3D, comes with 12 discs!

440876.JPG

Only €14.98 delivered from Zavvi. :)

Nice price! I bought the extended edition 3D for £29 on Amazon over Xmas and have yet to watch it, so cheers for reminder!

Another day another BluRay.

Well quite a lot I guess!

.440964.JPG

You're missing Dredd and The Walk 😁

mrcheez wrote: »
    You're missing Dredd and The Walk ��

Dredd got poor reviews for the 3D effect on the cinema blend site.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Dredd-Ticket-33101.html

Is it any good in 3D?

Dredd got poor reviews for the 3D effect on the cinema blend site.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Dredd-Ticket-33101.html

Is it any good in 3D?

yup, one of the best, but it also helps that the movie kicks ass.

The Walk is great too, probably a reference film for 3D. Get some serious vertigo watching it.

yup, one of the best, but it also helps that the movie kicks ass.

The Walk is great too, probably a reference film for 3D. Get some serious vertigo watching it.

I guess those cinema blend reviews are pretty subjective then and probably dependent on the reviewers local cinema environment.

A turtles tale is meant to be the benchmark for the pop out effect, that's on the way in the next batch.

Big Update coming to BigScreen next week plus it appears they are planning on a PSVR release.

441021.jpg

If they make it cross platform it would be awesome!

....or very very bad!!

Might have to title the Room, "PSVR Peeps, I'm not your childs Babysitter, I'm going to kick them out of the room if they as much as breathe too loudly into their microphone!!!"

Aren't all the kids in Rec Room using Vive/Rifts ?

There was a huge kiddie problem before the PSVR got access :)

Aren't all the kids in Rec Room using Vive/Rifts ?

There was a huge kiddie problem before the PSVR got access :)

And in VRChat also!

You can host private rooms in BigScreen so it's a non issue really.

• Advertisement

Here's today's haul of Blu Rays along with a slimline SATA to USB adapter.

441047.JPG

I think I have enough to keep us going now! :P

Hugo got a perfect score on cinema blend and is meant to be made for 3D, so looking forward to trying out that one.

The BluRay drive should be shipping today so I should have it sometime next week.

Where you getting these all so quickly? :)

Where you getting these all so quickly? :)

He's getting them in the post faster than I can 'acquire them by other means' !! ;)

Here's today's haul of Blu Rays along with a slimline SATA to USB adapter.

441047.JPG

I think I have enough to keep us going now! :P

Hugo got a perfect score on cinema blend and is meant to be made for 3D, so looking forward to trying out that one.

The BluRay drive should be shipping today so I should have it sometime next week.

What software player have you got for these. Is your PC powerful enough to decode the 3D MVC files and also encode up to 8 1080p streams for your Bigscreen audience while also rendering the VR environment ??

You may end up having to rip thiese and re-encode to half sbs 3D format.

He's getting them in the post faster than I can 'acquire them by other means' !! ;)

Nah he must be buying em in a B&M cuz I only mentioned the Doctor Strange BluRay deal with Amazon on the 5th!

Pricey hobby :)

Doctor Strange and guardians of the galaxy 2 were from Amazon. The rest were ordered last week from base, zavvi and UK eBay sellers shipped to Parcel Wizard. :)

What software player have you got for these. Is your PC powerful enough to decode the 3D MVC files and also encode up to 8 1080p streams for your Bigscreen audience while also rendering the VR environment ??

You may end up having to rip thiese and re-encode to half sbs 3D format.

I was using VLC to test rips so far but haven't tested it with Blu-rays yet.
    I don't think that's quite how BigScreen works, you're only encoding one stream and then uploading it 8 times I'd imagine.

It's just screen grabbing your desktop so shouldn't be too taxing on the computer.

It used less than 10% of my CPU, and I have real time reflections, NPCs off and also the other option I can't remember off in graphical settings to save GPU.

I have supersampling turned up to 1.5.

The only thing I'd be worried about is my upload speed which is 25Mbit, not sure how many people we can have before things affect quality.

Only Dr. Bob showed up Sunday so it's not like we have people kicking down the doors! :P

Let's see what next weeks update brings us in terms of CPU and GPU usage

Doctor Strange and guardians of the galaxy 2 were from Amazon.

Really? Damn fast.. I haven't even got around to ordering yet :pac:

Really? Damn fast.. I haven't even got around to ordering yet :pac:

I did order the Anker Soundcore speaker too separately and they combined both orders In the same package so that may have sped things up! The package was shipped to an post so that helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Bigscreen would be great on PSVR, it's baffling that 3D is blocked from streaming on it though. I'm keeping my DK2 only for 3D movies now.

Advertisement