Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Help us improve Search

Comments

• On a search from the front page, I think the results should be sorted by date as a default. Best Match just doesn't seem to work. Having the option to change to Best Match, Newest First, Oldest First and Most Thanked should be kept as an option.

With Advanced Search, it needs to remember all the parameters I gave it. When doing a second or subsequent search, it remembers Keyword, but has the habit of forgetting Forum, User and Date(s). This is reeeeaaalllllly annoying. :)
    What we can't do - without it becoming a much bigger project and conversation - is make allowances for typos
    Can allowance be made for punctuation and exact searches? Searching for "Luas Cross City" (without quotes) shouldn't have "Crossing the city with Luas" (a thread with 1 Reply and 159 Views) first, when there are many threads with "Luas Cross City" with the words in that order with one having 843 Replies and 68,601 Views.
    [*]title - does the searched term appear in the thread title - currently weighted
    Weight very heavily.
    [*]thanks - does the post with the searched term have any thanks - currently weighted
    At most weight very lightly.
    [*]date (age) - is the post with the searched term newer than others - currently weighted
    As we can sort by date, it shouldn't really be a weighting. At most weight very lightly.
    [*]replied - has the post with the searched term received any replies - not weighted
    Weight lightly.
    [*]views - has the post with the searched term had more views than other posts - not weighted
    This can result in circular results - it is suggested because it was suggested before and people clicked. At most weight very lightly.
    [*]text - does the post with the searched term contain the exact text searched for - not weighted
    Weight heavily.
    sKeith wrote: »
    When you search a thread for a term, and you don't get the results you were looking for, the search term in the search box is wrong, and if you edit it, it won't search the thread like you expect, but search the whole site.
    Has this been done already? 440365.png
    When searching a thread, can the resulting page have the code that includes the code for just that thread in the search box, so successive searches (refinement) are easier.
    Agreed.
    rgfuller wrote: »
    Every search I have ever done on boards I have always re-sorted into "most recent" as that tends to have the most relevant information, the top default results have never been useful.
    I strongly concur with this.
    Searching for something on boards.ie via google tends to provide more personally accurate results.
    It can, but if I want to only search my posts for specific text, Google can search too fuzzily, e.g. associating what someone else said with my name.
    Could you use embedded google search as boards search, that would also tend to correct for spelling errors.
    Do we really want Google tracking our search terms within the site?

Most replies has to be included as a criteria, for the obvious reason.
    Only very lightly.
    Beasty wrote: »
    To me most recent is a nice to have but ad already mentioned we can reorder if required anyway. I do find it odd though that often posts from 5-10 years ago come out on top.
    I think most people, when looking for something, are looking for hte most recent instance of that thing.
    Can you beat Google search?

If not, why spend time working on this - just embed Google search and get on with other improvements.
    As above, do we really want Google tracking our search terms within the site?

• Victor wrote: »

Has this been done already? 440365.png

After you press that search button, you come to a page with results. If they are not the results you want, then changing the word Luas would result in a whole site search.

Would be nice if something like below happened instead, we can always remove the code for thread if we want to search whole site.

440380.JPG

• sKeith wrote: »
    After you press that search button, you come to a page with results. If they are not the results you want, then changing the word Luas would result in a whole site search.

Would be nice if something like below happened instead, we can always remove the code for thread if we want to search whole site.

440380.JPG

Agree 100% this is endlessly frustrating!

search thread for a term or by poster, don't get the result you want, alter search get sitewide results. Meaning you have to go back to click advanced search and start a new search from scratch.
    I'd be surprised if everyone in forum games didn't have this high on their list of issues with the search function.

Side question: is it possible to do "and or searches" with search as it stands?

• Boards.ie Employee

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

As it stands, all we can look at is the weightings, though other suggestions and requests can be added to future discussions. We should be able to change the default view to Most Recent BUT the weightings change will only affect Most Relevant results - the Most Recent will return the newest result that matches the query.

• Boards.ie Employee

Inviere wrote: »
    I won't profess to know the workings of how the search function works, but to illustrate its utter uselessness, here's an example.

That's a very good example, but there are some workarounds. I typically go into the Films forum for a search like this. I understand that's an extra click to get to the desired result.

The other option (which ties into Triceratops Ballet's question) is to search for "solo and film". You still get some unexpected results (Guitar Solos and TV Cameras from 10 years ago, for example), but the desired thread is the second result.

AND/OR searches are possible (though you may have to use the Most Recent tab for more accurate thread results currently). Unfortunately "NOT" searches are not...

• Advertisement

• That's a very good example, but there are some workarounds. I typically go into the Films forum for a search like this. I understand that's an extra click to get to the desired result.

The other option (which ties into Triceratops Ballet's question) is to search for "solo and film". You still get some unexpected results (Guitar Solos and TV Cameras from 10 years ago, for example), but the desired thread is the second result.

AND/OR searches are possible (though you may have to use the Most Recent tab for more accurate thread results currently). Unfortunately "NOT" searches are not...

AND search results must have both A & B. If the results do not have both, then that is an OR search, not an AND search.

Edit: Okay, it does seem to do that.
    although there is something fuzzy going on too.

jamaica and adjudicated
    0 results.
    jamaica or adjudicated
    4966 results
    jamaica adjudicated
    0 results
    jamaica adjudicated or
    4966 results
    or jamaica adjudicated
    4966 results

• That's a very good example, but there are some workarounds. I typically go into the Films forum for a search like this. I understand that's an extra click to get to the desired result.

That's assuming I knew of the Film forum's existence Mark ;) Coming at this from the perspective of someone new to the site, the Search function is going to be their bible until they get the hang of Boards. So picture a brand new user coming on to see what we have on the new Solo film, typing it in, hitting enter, & seeing 14 year old results about death metal solo's. Their initial reaction would likely be, "Hmm, yeah, everyone was right about this site, it's for old people!", & they'll feck off.

Again though Mark, & I do appreciate where you are coming from on the tech side, it's too cluncky and not intuitive enough to a) know you have to do that, and b) expect people to go to the bother. Most these days are so used to Google providing them with exactly what they want with minimal effort, and within the first three results. Anything at all other than typing a word & hitting enter, is obsolete at best, and loses us new users at worst.

Is there any merit in adopting Google to handle internal searching, as was mentioned a few times above?

• give us an option to see most recent first rather then best match

• I don't understand why everytime I search it comes up with a thread from 3-5 years ago, why not go with something more recent? e.g. just searched for Tommy Tiernan - did the current Tommy Tiernan Thread come up? No of course not, it's a TT thread from 5 years ago - it's just mental.

But then if you click 'newest' instead it comes up with threads that don't even have the search term in the title. I don't understand.

• Boards.ie Employee

Inviere wrote: »

Is there any merit in adopting Google to handle internal searching, as was mentioned a few times above?

I see your points, especially when we'd ideally like to be more accessible for new people.

As for the suggestion to implement Google, there is merit of course - search is their bread and butter after all. It is something that we would have to investigate further and it does mean it's a different discussion. But it is something for us to consider.
    Rezident wrote: »
    I don't understand why everytime I search it comes up with a thread from 3-5 years ago, why not go with something more recent? e.g. just searched for Tommy Tiernan - did the current Tommy Tiernan Thread come up? No of course not, it's a TT thread from 5 years ago - it's just mental.

But then if you click 'newest' instead it comes up with threads that don't even have the search term in the title. I don't understand.

Most Relevant results is what we are hoping to address here by discussing the weightings. It's clear that results need to be given priority if they're more recent.

The Newest view is displaying threads in which Tommy Tiernan is mentioned. Blindboy was one of his most recent guest, so his name is going to crop up in the Blindboy thread. The dedicated show thread is a little further down.

Again, changing the search criteria produces more relevant results - Tommy Tiernan Show - but as pointed out, it's not something that everyone will re-attempt or perhaps even think of.

• Advertisement

• AND/OR searches are possible (though you may have to use the Most Recent tab for more accurate thread results currently). Unfortunately "NOT" searches are not...
    It would be good to let people know on the search page what Boolean and other operators (e.g. exact search) are available?

• hi my post seems to have been moved and now disappeared, how do I get it posted again?

• Can you beat Google search?

If not, why spend time working on this - just embed Google search and get on with other improvements.

Agreed. If you're not going to beat/match google search why bother.

• I don't know how you can say that the date is currently weighted. Whenever I do a search for anything I get ancient posts showing up first.

For example if I put weather into the search bar above the first post that comes up is 6 years old??

Doesn't make any sense to me and so I have given up on the search function to be honest.

• I see your points, especially when we'd ideally like to be more accessible for new people.

As for the suggestion to implement Google, there is merit of course - search is their bread and butter after all. It is something that we would have to investigate further and it does mean it's a different discussion. But it is something for us to consider.

Why does it have to be mentioned a heap of times (and at least 5 years since it was originally brought up) before you even acknowledge it???

Where's Beastys open discussion thread?

LALALALALALALLA HANDS IN EARS LALALLALALALALALLALALALALALAL

• Kuva wrote: »

Where's Beastys open discussion thread?
    If you are referring to the Open discussion on Feedback, it was going to be kicked off a couple of weeks after the AH thread closed. In the meantime this thread has been ongoing, and I've taken a bit of a backseat around here to attend my father's funeral last week

• Beasty wrote: »
    If you are referring to the Open discussion on Feedback, it was going to be kicked off a couple of weeks after the AH thread closed. In the meantime this thread has been ongoing, and I've taken a bit of a backseat around here to attend my father's funeral last week
    Sorry to hear that Beasty, may he rest in peace.

• Boards.ie Employee

Google Search is a possibility, but here are two things that we've come across that you'll have to bear in mind.

In the search results page, there will be four Google text ads (as opposed to the two that currently reside there). Google is scrapping its premium tier which cut down on the number of text ads that would be displayed.

Secondly, Google Search will not work in private forums. Google's bots can't crawl private forums, so they (understandably) can't be included in search results.

Edit: It also won't display suggested forums or the list of forums on the left with the number of times that query appears in the forum (this has an impact for a search like "football," for example, when you want to find the Soccer forum). The Solo example is also problematic...the wonders of SEO...

• I would be opposed to using Google Search. Mainly for the lack of filtering options, as Mark mentioned above. But also because Google is becoming increasingly useless. They are only interested in serving up what they think you'll click on, even if that means totally ignoring your search terms.

• rgfuller wrote: »
    Every search I have ever done on boards I have always re-sorted into "most recent" as that tends to have the most relevant information, the top default results have never been useful. Searching for something on boards.ie via google tends to provide more personally accurate results. Could you use embedded google search as boards search, that would also tend to correct for spelling errors.

I completely agree for the same reasons. I rarely use the search because the results are always way out of date.

Also please use soundex.

• Advertisement

• Can we have an "Unread posts" button in each forum?

Or maybe just move lock, stock and barrel to XenForo.

• Google Search is a possibility, but here are two things that we've come across that you'll have to bear in mind.

In the search results page, there will be four Google text ads (as opposed to the two that currently reside there). Google is scrapping its premium tier which cut down on the number of text ads that would be displayed.

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but to me, that above is a small enough price to pay for a functional search system.
    Secondly, Google Search will not work in private forums. Google's bots can't crawl private forums, so they (understandably) can't be included in search results.

That is an issue.
    Edit: It also won't display suggested forums or the list of forums on the left with the number of times that query appears in the forum (this has an impact for a search like "football," for example, when you want to find the Soccer forum). The Solo example is also problematic...the wonders of SEO...

Could we 'rebrand' the existing internal search engine, & have it not so much a specific search engine, but more so a tool for finding your way around boards (forums, categories, etc). Then, have a specific dedicated Google search box to handle searching, which accompanies the existing box? Failing that, go back to the drawing board with how the Topics bar works (it used to be so much more functional years ago, than it is now):

Untitled1.png

Then once you have a more effective way of navigating the site, a Google search box could take prominence, as people won't have to rely on the existing search to find their way around. I know this likely won't be a runner, but if anything, it points out how over the years we've moved away from functionality, & it's now biting us in the ass with regard site design & UX/UI.
    But also because Google is becoming increasingly useless.

There's increasingly useless, & then there's Boards' search system. Again, I don't mean to be cynical, but how you can mention Google search & Boards search in the same sentence is beyond me.

• I find that the thing i do after I search anything in boards is click on the link to show me the most recent " results.

this then normally jumbles the search result into a total mess and i have to start again.

having an option to only search for "a topic" from within "a time period" would be great

i.e. - 1 month, 6 months, 1 year - alltime

• dball wrote: »
    I find that the thing i do after I search anything in boards is click on the link to show me the most recent " results.

this then normally jumbles the search result into a total mess and i have to start again.

having an option to only search for "a topic" from within "a time period" would be great

i.e. - 1 month, 6 months, 1 year - alltime

+1 !!!

Best match works great, but not much use when the threads are multiple years old!

• I can't get to the thread of a post I find in the search results. This is particularly annoying, I don't even see the name of the thread, never mind a link. I would naturally like to open the thread of the post that I found relevant to my search. Is this possible and just not obvious to me?

• Actually, Some of the results have clickable links and others don't....Are some threads missing a title or something? Did lots of this data get corrupted at some point?
    The one with no clickable link still has an anchor tag in the markup but no text node to make it clickable....weird

• you're using the responsive site? use the legacy site (should be a link in the header and footer of each page) and it should work

• Boards.ie Employee

Hi Nulty, could you PM me with the query that you're searching for (if you don't want to post it here) please and let me know which of the results don't work for you.

• Advertisement

• When you click on a users name one of the options is "Find More Posts by xxxxx".

It would be really useful if their was an additional option "Find All Posts In This Thread by xxxxx".

I can't be the only one that would welcome a way of finding out the OP's responses to a long thread or even if they have responded at all.

Sorry if that seems off topic but I guess finding all the posts in a particular thread by the OP or another poster is a search?

Advertisement