Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Go Safe van with amber flasher

Options
  • 25-01-2018 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I've never seen this before: this is a speed check location in town, 50km/h zone to the rear of the van, 30 km/h to the front. It was early enough this morning, 6:50am, coming from town I saw amber flashing lights in the distance. I thought it could be anything usual. As I got closer I noticed the speedcam van had its ambers on.
    What's it all about? Giving people a 2nd chance to slow down?

Comments

Could have just pulled in and was setting up. In the dark at that time of the morning the operator would want to be seen before he gets into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Anyone know if this is the case?That they just have the amber flashing lights on when setting up?I rounded a
    gentle bend yesterday to be faced by one of these doing an indicated 95kmh in a vehicle with 80kmh restriction had it down to 75 kmh within 100 metres of the van,lovely wide stretch of road.Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

magentis wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is the case?That they just have the amber flashing lights on when setting up?I rounded a
    gentle bend yesterday to be faced by one of these doing an indicated 95kmh in a vehicle with 80kmh restriction had it down to 75 kmh within 100 metres of the van,lovely wide stretch of road.Silly me.

Drove by one approx 2am last Friday, amber beacons flashing. Didn't look like they were setting up, more so they were there a while fully set up.

I could be totally wrong though

Drove by one approx 2am last Friday, amber beacons flashing. Didn't look like they were setting up, more so they were there a while fully set up.

I could be totally wrong though

Must be down to the operator of the vehicle.I saw one last week in another county with no amber lights on.I saw that the interior light was on in the one last night too,that was giving me false hope also.

I will just have to wait out the next 3 weeks or so.No point in worrying!

What we need is an "I operate a go safe van ama"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

magentis wrote: »
    What we need is an "I operate a go safe van ama"!

I know that over the years boards has had some bad baxtards posting on it even Graham Dwyer was here and possibly a mod for a while but I doubt anyone on here is that cold and souless to be a go-safe van operator.
    Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I know that over the years boards has had some bad baxtards posting on it even Graham Dwyer was here and possibly a mod for a while but I doubt anyone on here is that cold and souless to be a go-safe van operator.
    Shudder.

Ah lads it's just a job... not like the people in the vans are all d1ckheads for doing it. I know a guy working for them and he took the job after the engineering firm he worked for shut down in 2015. I know the comment might be tongue in cheek, but I've seen serous abuse thrown at these guys, not to mention the attacks on vans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭kirving

Passed a few vans on unlit roads at night, and there is no way in hell would I sit in one by the edge of the road. All it takes is one car over the whole shift to stray over the line and you're dead.

Put on the flashing lights, and it's far safer. Plus, the operator can rest easy knowing they're not catching people who drifted over the limit on an arrow straight road, but people who saw the lights and still couldn't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Shudder.

There was one fella on here said he operated one. He was quite open about the workings and was quite helpful. Then the dickheads started giving him abuse. I haven't seen him posting in ages.

As already said, it's just lads doing a job.

There was one fella on here said he operated one. He was quite open about the workings and was quite helpful. Then the dickheads started giving him abuse. I haven't seen him posting in ages.

Would ya ask him about the oul amber lights for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Orange light is for when they are outside setting up.... Health and safety.

Garda ones sometimes leave side lights (parking lights) on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Shudder.

Gosafe had operators at last year's ploughing championships answering questions from motorists. They were very open about the capabilities of their equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Gosafe had operators at last year's ploughing championships answering questions from motorists. They were very open about the capabilities of their equipment

I think it was RSA people at the ploughing, and they weren't that knowledgeable about the exact specs and limitations of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on having a Go Safe so close to a change in speed zones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on having a Go Safe so close to a change in speed zones?

Why would there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Re gosafe, there detection range is very very limited due to the way they set up at a set angle to the road.
    I'd suggest anyone should attempt to slow (if safe to do so) no matter how close you believe you are to the van.
    I drove into a couple of them at speed, slowing down even though I thought a ticket was a certainty but never heard a thing. That is when I looked into the system they use and as I say, very limited in detection range.

Orange light is for when they are outside setting up.... Health and safety.

Garda ones sometimes leave side lights (parking lights) on.

I've passed 3 in the last week, all had the flashing lights and all looked to be fully setup and just defecting? I was wondering is this a new thing while they operate to also have the flashing lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There are iirc, but they operate at the higher limit if that's the case. Not to catch the ones passing the sign if that's what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I know the lad you're talking about personally. Would you believe, someone here actually reported him to GoSafe for answering questions on here. He since closed his Boards account.
    I asked him about the ambers... He said they're for when they're pulling into a site and setting up. The operators probably forgot to turn them off if they were still flashing while they were in the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Gwildor wrote: »
    I know the lad you're talking about personally. Would you believe, someone here actually reported him to GoSafe for answering questions on here. He since closed his Boards account.
    I asked him about the ambers... He said they're for when they're pulling into a site and setting up. The operators probably forgot to turn them off if they were still flashing while they were in the van.

Yes, I absolutely would believe. There are some real arseholes on here.

When you see him next, tell him that there were people reading his posts that appreciated his information, and thank him for his efforts to help us to better understand the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Snitches get stitches......

Shame there are people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Gwildor wrote: »

What an absolute bellend to go and report him like that when he was only trying to help.

Some people seem to have an awful dose of keyboard warrior syndrome these days. Sickening to be honest.

thanks for asking him the question for us Gwildor and thanks to your friend for the answer.

Advertisement