Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Fethard a Nice Place to Live In.

Options
  • 23-01-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'd like your advice about Fethard.
    I'm retiring soon and would like to move to a drier place than where I now live.
    I've looked at some houses in Wexford and Fethard caught my attention.
    I'm wondering what it is like to live there. Is it a reasonably quiet town ( not meaning monastic or anything like that ) and are people generally friendly there? Are there nice walking/running areas etc?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Where do you currently live? Drier than where?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

South west Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Fethard would be busy in summer and quiet in winter. The main issue I would have with Fethard is that it's pretty distant from the facilities of a large town - cinema, theatre, library, medical, major sports, etc. Nice beach at Grange just outside Fethard but I think there's an erosion problem there.

Rosslare strand might suit you better, train and bus service to town and only 20 mins drive, quiet in winter busy in summer. Better than fethard by miles imo. Ideally I’d keep going south, to Spain or Portugal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

vicwatson wrote: »
    Rosslare strand might suit you better, train and bus service to town and only 20 mins drive, quiet in winter busy in summer. Better than fethard by miles imo. Ideally I’d keep going south, to Spain or Portugal :P

Thanks Vic. I enjoyed reading your post. I am one of those rare people who doesn't like hot weather:).

• Advertisement

Thanks Vic. I enjoyed reading your post. I am one of those rare people who doesn't like hot weather:).

Rosslare price wise will be higher I'd imagine. It attracts a lot of wealthier people living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I live in the Strand myself , and have for about 3 years now. I love it. We have a local bus which goes to town every hour and have the train which goes to Dublin 3 times a day and you can get this to town as well.

We’ve a Chemist, a Centra, two hair dressers, a Chinese takeaway , 2 Chip shops, Kelly’s hotel and a new Hotel Coast opening shortly. Also there is two pubs and we have some lovely little restaurants .

From June till September the Village does be buzzing with tourists and it does get quick busy . The beach is busy too but there is always a good vibe.

Weather wise , we never seem to get the “worst” of the weather such as snow etc. Price wise for houses though, they are increasing over the past couple of years .

If you have any questions on Rosslare Strand fire away and I’ll answer as best as I can.

Is Coast a new place? Like Kilmore Quay? Owned by one of the owners of Dunnes Stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Is Coast a new place? Like Kilmore Quay? Owned by one of the owners of Dunnes Stores?

I was thinking they could be owned by the same people. It’s the old Cedders hotel which was laying vacant. I see all over Facebook they are looking for staff. Will be great to have that open again as it’s such big hotel and it’s a shame to see it laying empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Fethard is 22K from Waterford City via the Ballyhack - Passage East ferry, which is nearer than either New Ross or Wexford. Most folk from the Hook region would often go to Waterford for more shopping, leisure & entertainment choices.

Only problem with the car ferry is that it doesn't run late evenings! But it looks like the Ross bypass bridge is on schedule for opening next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement