Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Sweatcoin

  • 23-01-2018 8:38am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ OREGATO
    Registered User


    First time posting here but I've been lurking for a good while. Not sure if this is appropriate so mods, feel free to delete if necessary.

    I came across Sweatcoin last night and see it hasn't been mentioned here. It's an interesting concept that awards users SWT coins for movement outside. Tracks movement via GPS and steps taken via your phone.

    Seems to be out a few months. For the coins, you are able to exchange them for different health and fitness devices from the store or trade them with other users.

    It's available on both iOS and Android and is one of the top 10 iOS apps in the app store.

    As with forum rules on referral links, my referral link is in the referral thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105926120&postcount=51

    However, if you don't want to use it, here is a regular link to their website: https://sweatco.in/


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭ grindle
    Registered User


    A coin that gets minted every time somebody takes a step - where's the incentive for anybody to buy what you've earned by walking?

    What's the value behind it for buyers beyond somebody else wanting your coins for some unknown reason?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭ Kenny Logins
    Registered User


    Wake me for Fartcoin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭ grindle
    Registered User


    Wakey wakey
    FART runs on the WAVES blockchain, but also incorporates the revolutionary new, Proof-of-Fart Distribution Mechanism™, or PoFDM, allowing for smoother economical flow that is more egalitarian and meritocratic than traditional crypto-currency.

    :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭ Kenny Logins
    Registered User


    grindle wrote: »

    Jesus. I actually wouldn't be surprised. :D


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭ smacl
    Moderator


    Wake me for Fartcoin.

    That's one "air-drop" I'll be keeping well clear off ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭ Chancer3001
    Registered User


    This sounds like the dumbest idea I've ever heard for a coin.

    You can spend your coin on stuff ?

    So I go to my gym and say hey I walked 10000 steps yesterday. Gimme some free stuff....

    Yeahhhhhhhhhh

    BUT THEN AGAIN

    If you talk about Bitcoin like that. Oh hey here's some code I mined on my computer over the last few weeks. Gimme 10 grand for it...

    That also sounds mental


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭ grindle
    Registered User



    BUT THEN AGAIN

    If you talk about Bitcoin like that. Oh hey here's some code I mined on my computer over the last few weeks. Gimme 10 grand for it...

    That also sounds mental

    ...implying that BTC isn't the largest bug bounty in the world.

    There's literally nothing backing up Sweatcoin (yet?) and no economic incentive for it to exist.

    BTC for all of it's terrible faults is extremely secure and has the brightest minds poring over every commit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ stooge
    Registered User


    OREGATO wrote: »
    First time posting here but I've been lurking for a good while. Not sure if this is appropriate so mods, feel free to delete if necessary.

    I came across Sweatcoin last night and see it hasn't been mentioned here. It's an interesting concept that awards users SWT coins for movement outside. Tracks movement via GPS and steps taken via your phone.

    Seems to be out a few months. For the coins, you are able to exchange them for different health and fitness devices from the store or trade them with other users.

    It's available on both iOS and Android and is one of the top 10 iOS apps in the app store.

    As with forum rules on referral links, my referral link is in the referral thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105926120&postcount=51

    However, if you don't want to use it, here is a regular link to their website: https://sweatco.in/


    sounds like that episode of black mirror

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteen_Million_Merits


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ chasingthesun
    Registered User


    Lol, lads. It is not cryptocurrency.
    I just can by this thread here.

    I have been using it for a while myself. I don't know the thread starter.

    The app has stupid name which makes people think it is something like bitcoin.

    However it is just a fitness app.

    You walk. You get awarded coins every so and ao many steps and for these coins you can redeem rewards.
    The app doesn't cost anything and there is no in app purchases.

    But if you redeem rewards, you got to pay postage on them.
    The only thing I redeemed so far was a pair of trainers.
    Good quality nike trainers, not some chinese knockoffs.
    The app is real, but it takes a while to save up coins ..
    Then again, I walk anyway all the time and the app works on background so it doesn't disturb what I am doing with my phone.

    Most irish prizes are health and fitness ones and even though they say prizes change often, I haven't seen them change for a while.
    Next thing I plan to redeem is a blood pressure monitor for home... I always want one, but never want to spend on buying one, so might as well take that next.

    How do they get money? Whats in it for them?
    Pure advertising as always with this kind of thing. They get advertising money from companies who have their stuff featured there as prizes.
    Unfortunately, irish companies haven't jumped on board as much as in other countries... my friend in uk has redeemed tv and phone.... and in USA there are lots of $50 giftcards for all sorts of shops....

    Other than prizes not changing often enoughi can't really fault an app... I made a review of iton my youtube channel at sone point as well, but I already typed everything I said about it here too.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ chasingthesun
    Registered User


    grindle wrote: »
    ...implying that BTC isn't the largest bug bounty in the world.

    There's literally nothing backing up Sweatcoin (yet?) and no economic incentive for it to exist.

    BTC for all of it's terrible faults is extremely secure and has the brightest minds poring over every commit.

    Lol sweatcoin is not cryptocurrency. It is not something that anyone can buy. They just named their reward points with that silly name. Probably to get publicity.
    Read my longer answer I tell there what this app is.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭ grindle
    Registered User


    Lol sweatcoin is not cryptocurrency. It is not something that anyone can buy. They just named their reward points with that silly name. Probably to get publicity.
    Read my longer answer I tell there what this app is.

    I know it's not a crypto... Yet. They've announced their own openly tradable blockchain implementation is in the works.

    People on Reddit/Discord are actually paying money via PP for this crap.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ chasingthesun
    Registered User


    grindle wrote: »
    I know it's not a crypto... Yet. They've announced their own openly tradable blockchain implementation is in the works.

    People on Reddit/Discord are actually paying money via PP for this crap.

    Ah lol so they have reason behind their madness.
    Ah well, let them pay for it, im happy out with my trainers and other atuff I redeem😂😂😂


Advertisement