Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

189111314194

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 64,668 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    samih wrote: »
    heating is needed for maybe 7-9 months a year for defogging in the morning.

    Make that 9 months with several days in the summer months you need it too. Today (early September and warmer than average) it was only 9 degrees this morning at 8AM. Heat needed. Night frost is only weeks away and can happen until June.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    unkel wrote: »
    Your new car will replace the Leaf as the main family car. The Leaf will become the second runabout car. A long range BEV seems perfect as your next family car to me :)

    I agree, it would of course become the main family car in that case but the thing is the L24 is already the main family car and doing it without any issues at all and I'm doing 30k km per year in it.... so I have the justify it financially to spend €40k otherwise I am diminishing my ROI on the L24.

    I'd basically just be fooling myself if I do that. The L24 is to remain, I think, for at least another few years.

    unkel wrote: »
    Of course buying a PHEV at the right price can be a good option. But I'd be reluctant to spend a lot of money on it. I even (briefly) considered buying a 2 year old BMW330e (for less than half of the new price here) earlier this year

    That is why Im considering s/h at ~€25k.
    That price point is ALOT more palatable than €40k and it would be for a 181 car in 191... not exactly bangernomics figures at play there.

    Hybrids and PHEV's are going to be popular for a few years yet particularly with the supply constraints on BEV.

    unkel wrote: »
    Also, if we had a reliable charging network, I would probably buy a €30k 39kWh over a €37k 64kWh Niro BEV. The former will hold its value exceptionally well and will prove to have a very low TCO

    The 40kWh cars would not replace the diesel as its main "selling point" is that it has long range (Cork-Dublin return for matches, concerts, IKEA, holidays on the continent etc). I aint bringing a 40kWh anything on those trips. A 60kWh would be perfect as it would only require one stop on those trips. I can live with that.

    The requirements for me are that it has to replace the diesels ability to do long range and be affordable as a second EV in the house.

    The 60kWh+ cars are looking like they will be too expensive in the short term for my scenario. It make sense for others who would be making it their only car or who dont have home charging.

    Maybe a PHEV now and then trade up in a few years time to a 60kWh BEV when there is more competition, choice etc.... which is likely to be 2025 by the looks of it.

    I value everyone's opinion though so keep it coming! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    samih wrote: »
    As of the heating: I have never lived in Cork so don't know how different the climate there is. In Kildare I reckon heating is needed for maybe 7-9 months a year for defogging in the morning at least and for maybe 6 months a year for comfort. I don't really know as you don't need to pay much attention these days. Auto all the way. Working around the problem is probably doable but having to run the engine for heat is a compromise in a damp and cold country.
    unkel wrote: »
    Make that 9 months with several days in the summer months you need it too. Today (early September and warmer than average) it was only 9 degrees this morning at 8AM. Heat needed. Night frost is only weeks away and can happen until June.

    So the question on that will be, how long does the ICE have to run to get the cabin up to temp and what is the overall effect on efficiency. It presumably wont have to run at full tilt. It will be able to generate heat quickly at its most efficient rpm?

    I suspect the energy required to heat the cabin pales into insignificance relative to the energy to drive 50km in EV only mode. It requires more research, for sure.

    It does seem like a stupid oversight on Kia's part. Surely a simple resistive heater connected to the EV drivetrain would have been easy and allow you to pre-heat while plugged in overnight.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    Video of interior of Niro up....looks nice


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,668 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    KCross wrote: »
    The 40kWh cars would not replace the diesel as its main "selling point" is that it has long range (Cork-Dublin return for matches, concerts, IKEA, holidays on the continent etc). I aint bringing a 40kWh anything on those trips. A 60kWh would be perfect as it would only require one stop on those trips. I can live with that.

    That's probably because you are used to the current public charging network. Now envisage a network (we ain't got it yet of course) where starting in Cork, you would need a 15 minute stop at Monasterevin (quick toilet + coffee), 6 bays, guaranteed not even a second waiting time and then Dublin and another stop at Monsterevin on your way home. Wouldn't that be perfectly fine? Drive at the speed limit at all times.

    The €6k extra of the 64kWh is probably worth less than €2k after say 5 years with the car. I'd rather keep the €6k in my pocket up front. As you said yourself, you could install a huge fook off of a Solar PV + battery system for that :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom


    TeslaBjorn's first video review of the Kia Niro Ev

    Kia Niro EV interior & space review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us5fV1Oa2vo&feature=em-uploademail&app=desktop


  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta


    icom wrote: »
    TeslaBjorn's first video review of the Kia Niro Ev

    Kia Niro EV interior & space review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us5fV1Oa2vo&feature=em-uploademail&app=desktop

    Looks amazing, would be awesome to be able to afford one, just a few k too expensive for me (given kona prices)


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    Normal speed range rest is done...


    Kia Niro EV can go 500 km/310 mi in a single charge. I used normal drive mode, climate control on and cruised at 90 km/h, 56 mph. The low average speed is due to Seoul traffic at start and end of the trip. My wife was also with me on the trip.


    In comparison, Hyundai Kona Electric did 510 km/317 mi in a single charge in Norway. But the temperature was lower there. I guess Niro would make about 480 km/300 mi there. Which means that Niro is about 6 % less efficient than Kona.


  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom


    Bjorn's second video review, Kia Niro EV driving 500 km/310 mi in one charge:

    https://youtu.be/ZnYWWtUNykA


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978


    Called into my local Kia dealership today.
    Asked to see a NIRO. None in stock.
    Enquired about the Ev version. Guy told me that the PHEV was it. :rolleyes:
    Had to explain to him that there's a full BEV coming along. Didn't have a clue about it.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    ewj1978 wrote: »
    Called into my local Kia dealership today.
    Asked to see a NIRO. None in stock.
    Enquired about the Ev version. Guy told me that the PHEV was it. :rolleyes:
    Had to explain to him that there's a full BEV coming along. Didn't have a clue about it.


    This is majority of dealers....


    Its the same with Hyundai...VW haven't a f**king clue what is going on


    Nissan only this year have most dealers up to speed


    As a friend said to one dealer "Your asleep at the wheel"


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,290 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is majority of dealers....


    Its the same with Hyundai...VW haven't a f**king clue what is going on


    Nissan only this year have most dealers up to speed


    As a friend said to one dealer "Your asleep at the wheel"
    Thierry is that you? (sorry, spaced out lines and post critical of EVs )


    It's true though, the dealers havent a clue!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running


    Yeah, I was looking at the Niro a few days ago and the salesman was telling me about the PHEV. He said "the petrol hybrid engine vehicle" will be with them soon. :D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan


    Yeah, I was looking at the Niro a few days ago and the salesman was telling me about the PHEV. He said "the petrol hybrid engine vehicle" will be with them soon. :D:D

    I hope you slapped him or asked if it was his first day :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Thierry is that you? (sorry, spaced out lines and post critical of EVs )


    It's true though, the dealers havent a clue!


    haha.....

    :P



    I am missing him/her:D I knew it was going to happen as it is back to school.....


    Post was not critical of EV's, more the "sales" people....it is shocking the lack of knowledge shown in car show rooms. Not just for BEV but for all cars...

    I just came out from looking at pellet stove, guy could read off the spec's off a number of models without even look at the book.....go into a garage and ask any of the idiots walking around and most of them dont even know which car is in the showroom that day


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I just came out from looking at pellet stove, guy could read off the spec's off a number of models without even look at the book.....go into a garage and ask any of the idiots walking around and most of them dont even know which car is in the showroom that day

    They'll know what their margin on it is though!
    And they'll know how much they get for getting you to sit in front of the finance guy to sign you up for PCP!

    Sure thats all they need to know!


    I dont think any of us here need a salesman anyway. We know more than they do about the cars.

    Salesmen are going to be a dying breed... its going the Tesla route.... direct sales with just a few regional centres where you can get it serviced or pick it up.

    Even the Kona EV release in the UK bypassed their dealers and sold it direct online. The dealers days are numbered as soon as ICE sales start to plummet (anyones guess when that is).


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    KCross wrote: »
    They'll know what their margin on it is though!
    And they'll know how much they get for getting you to sit in front of the finance guy to sign you up for PCP!

    Sure thats all they need to know!


    I dont think any of us here need a salesman anyway. We know more than they do about the cars.

    Salesmen are going to be a dying breed... its going the Tesla route.... direct sales with just a few regional centres where you can get it serviced or pick it up.

    Even the Kona EV release in the UK bypassed their dealers and sold it direct online. The dealers days are numbered as soon as ICE sales start to plummet (anyones guess when that is).


    Kona release in Ireland according to some reports is the same....you order direct from Hyundai....just pick up at dealers.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy


    samih wrote: »
    The PHEV version is quite compromised as there is no electric heating on it so for several months a year you need to use the engine even on the short trips.

    That is true that you do need to use the ICE to heat up the cabin but you can use the heated seats and heated steering wheel to keep you nice and toasty! ;-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    From Bjorn: In Korea, Hyundai Kona electric costs 29.5-33.4M KRW. Kia Niro EV costs 30.8-35.1M KRW. Prices are after government subsidies. This means that Niro should cost about 5 % more than Kona in other markets too.

    In Norway, Kona costs 325k NOK. We can guess that Niro will cost 340k NOK. That's a bargain for a 500 km/310 mi range EV with good space for people and luggage.

    Kia Motors Worldwide, you should ramp up the production of Niro EV!


    That would make it €37,800 before delivery and metallic paint....add another 1,500 for delivery and paint....€39,300

    Not far off that 40k mark :-(


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭daheff


    KCross wrote: »
    Whats your prediction on price for Niro BEV?

    i'm going to guess 45k before grants

    I just think they'll have this price as its bigger than the Kona.



    just reading a number of people on this thread are quoting the PHEV Niro @ 31k OTR. Where are you getting this price?

    Iv'e checked with 2 Kia dealers locally and quoted 40k+ off both before grants (7,5k)...so more like 32-33k OTR.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    At €40k on the road for the top model I'd consider it.

    If the 5% estimate is correct, the UK top spec would be around £34k which when you add higher VAT, VRT and exchange rate it wouldn't be a million miles off that.

    But they will no doubt do the same as Hyundai and flog a mid range effort for the top spec price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81


    If the Niro ends up being 40k, would anyone jump ship and consider importing a Model S?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    BigAl81 wrote: »
    If the Niro ends up being 40k, would anyone jump ship and consider importing a Model S?

    A Model S with widespread reports of poor reliability, poor build quality, not much (if any) warranty left and made by a company whose future is being undermined by its idiot owner smoking dope in public and accusing national heros of paedophilia?

    Nah, I wouldn't. If the Niro is too expensive I'll have to wait for second hand. I wouldn't buy a Tesla for quite a while until everything is more stable.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    BigAl81 wrote: »
    If the Niro ends up being 40k, would anyone jump ship and consider importing a Model S?

    Unless you have money to throw away......


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan


    DrPhilG wrote: »
    A Model S with widespread reports of poor reliability, poor build quality, not much (if any) warranty left and made by a company whose future is being undermined by its idiot owner smoking dope in public and accusing national heros of paedophilia?

    Nah, I wouldn't. If the Niro is too expensive I'll have to wait for second hand. I wouldn't buy a Tesla for quite a while until everything is more stable.

    I was going to ask what could really be so bad about smoking dope in public and then I read this :Dhttps://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/elon-musk-joe-rogan-tesla-stock/


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog


    Should it be with stress on the 'i' ( as in 'Biro' ) ?
    .
    .
    all I hear is 'Nero' ( as in the roman emperor )


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,668 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    Niro like Robert de Niro

    Nero is Neeeehrrrooohhh


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog


    unkel wrote: »
    Niro like Robert de Niro


    I forgot about him :o


    Long name for car : Niro de KIA ? :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG




Advertisement